Author Topic: Bizarre Superstitions  (Read 14905 times)

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Bizarre Superstitions
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2008, 04:46:40 pm »
A cat heard yowling and screeching outside at night means someone close to you will become ill.

from sleep deprivation, right?  :laugh: My cat always 'needs' to go outside to the backyard between 4 and 5am like clockwork - I always grumble as I'm making my way to the door like a half-blind zombie, but I guess he has me trained!
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2008, 04:55:50 pm »
from sleep deprivation, right?  :laugh: My cat always 'needs' to go outside to the backyard between 4 and 5am like clockwork - I always grumble as I'm making my way to the door like a half-blind zombie, but I guess he has me trained!

:laugh:  :laugh:

Yeah, I know the feeling! My cat uses a litter tray, so he torments me in the early morning when he's ready to be fed.

I'm not sure if our own cats count though. I think it only counts if you hear a stray cat outside. I hope it doesn't count, because if it does, I'm in really big trouble. Oreo screeches just about every night, and it's because the dog is busy chasing and frustrating him.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2008, 05:24:34 pm »
:laugh:  :laugh:

Yeah, I know the feeling! My cat uses a litter tray, so he torments me in the early morning when he's ready to be fed.

I'm not sure if our own cats count though. I think it only counts if you hear a stray cat outside. I hope it doesn't count, because if it does, I'm in really big trouble. Oreo screeches just about every night, and it's because the dog is busy chasing and frustrating him.
Think about poor Truman and Crybaby!
Good Lord!  ::)
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2008, 06:08:13 pm »
You're welcome loneleeb3.  :)

My house creeks day and night!   :-\

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2008, 06:54:15 pm »
Interesting Wishes! - The Hasma is alike to things I saw in turkey (which I've just found out are called Nazars - see my link belwo) and are connected to the evil eye, they used to be lots of little eyes all over the place - and ones next to water to ward off evil and accidents.

http://www.guidetoturkey.com/aboutturkey/info_tips/nazar.asp
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2008, 11:14:34 pm »
Hi Kelda.

Yes, a lot of Hamsa do have an eye in the palm area of the hand. It and the evil eye are used throughout middle eastern culture I believe.

Anyway, I have Hamsa stickers in my windows and the creep next door hasn't thrown eggs at my house again. I figure they can't hurt and I actually feel more secure with them. And my alarm system of coarse!

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2008, 10:38:28 am »
My Mom and grandmother were adamant that they weren't superstitious, but I've heard about more superstitions from the two of them than everyone else I've ever known combined.     Just a few of them:

-- If you leave the house and go back for something you've forgotten, sit down and count to ten first.
-- Don't sing before breakfast ("or you'll cry before night")
-- Never leave a hat on the bed.

I love black-eyed peas so that's a New Year's superstition I can really embrace -- hog jowls might sound a little strange if you've haven't tried them, but they basically just taste like high-fat bacon.

On Fat Tuesday, the day before Lent begins, it's supposed to be good luck to eat pancakes. Fat Tuesday is on February 5th this year -- same day as the Super Tuesday primary election: what an excuse to stop at IHOP ["International House of Pancakes"] between getting off work and going to the polls.    :)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2008, 10:40:05 am »
My Mom and grandmother were adamant that they weren't superstitious, but I've heard about more superstitions from the two of them than everyone else I've ever known combined.     Just a few of them:

-- If you leave the house and go back for something you've forgotten, sit down and count to ten first.
-- Don't sing before breakfast ("or you'll cry before night")
-- Never leave a hat on the bed.

I love black-eyed peas so that's a New Year's superstition I can really embrace -- hog jowls might sound a little strange if you've haven't tried them, but they basically just taste like high-fat bacon.

On Fat Tuesday, the day before Lent begins, it's supposed to be good luck to eat pancakes. Fat Tuesday is on the Super Tuesday primary election this year: what an excuse to stop at IHOP ["International House of Pancakes"] between getting off work and going to the polls.    :)

Marge!
You must be a southerner!
I look forward to New Years Day for the meal! I also Love the Collards!!  ;D
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2008, 07:30:09 pm »
Hi Kelda.

Yes, a lot of Hamsa do have an eye in the palm area of the hand. It and the evil eye are used throughout middle eastern culture I believe.

Anyway, I have Hamsa stickers in my windows and the creep next door hasn't thrown eggs at my house again. I figure they can't hurt and I actually feel more secure with them. And my alarm system of coarse!

Thats great! I know you were having trouble with him. Go Hasmas!!!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/