Author Topic: When is it too late to still have Holiday decorations up?  (Read 116823 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: When is it too late to still have Holiday decorations up?
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2007, 12:57:48 pm »
reminds me of that Gretchen Wilson song.....

I keep my Christmas lights up on my front porch all year long....

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2008, 07:59:55 am »
Since we were unable to decorate the house for Christmas in 2007  Denver at all, as in at all, and I KNOW we will still be stuck there next year I've been making plans. I bought one of those deer and a bear. I need another deer ---for which read Elk--- and two cowboys. Next year we will have them in front. And I've been buying LED lights on sale wherever I find them. I'll bring them home a few at a time, from NY, and actually have a number bought in Denver. 

Today I'm running to Saks to get more 3/4 off Christmas ornaments. I like the French and German and Polish ones. However they cost a fortune unles you buy them after the holiday. When you do that, sadly, you miss some. Those Murano angels were gone on Dec 26!

I bought a lot of Baccarat ornaments on ebay, paying between 10 and 16 bucks for them. This lady had tons of Baccarat reindeer ornaments a few years ago, and I bought 27 at 9.99 each. Most I gave to aunt Pauline for her tree but we have 2-3.I'm getting more french grenadiers  from replacements unlimited; they bought Bernardaud's entire stock of Christmas ornaments and over the years I must have got 20 of them for relatives etc, but WE only have 4. I need 10 more for what i want to do with a garland.

My wife lets me do it. Last year was the first she saw me up close at Christmas time. Juniour says I'm the cHRISTMAS nAZI, because I decorated, and undecorated, and redecorated that 9 foot tree three times. It just didn't LOOK right. Too much red in spots, too much crystal in spotsNo gold where it was needed. Too much silver on top. Wreong sizes here and there......only way to deal with such decorative instability is to redo the whole thing from top to bottom, or until Katrina says to leave it or die.....lol

Now, this should all stay up until Easter. Or the first 2009 BBQ committee housemeeting.........

lol

i wonder if any of those 2-3 foot Anna Lee figures are left?????
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2008, 08:26:41 am »
I took the decorations and the tree down today. Next tuesday, all the christmas trees will be picked up by a special garbage van.

We didn't have many decorations this year, so it didn't take me more than an hour to clean everything up. Another Christmas gone, time to get on with the new year.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2008, 09:13:35 am »
I put all my Christmas dishes away, and undecorated the tree on New Year's Day. I don't think I've ever done it so early, but I was in the mood and when the mood strikes, I need to act on it! However, the tree is still up! LOL. No lights and it looks so forlorn standing in its corner. I'm sure my husband will take it out tomorrow morning. I have to laugh since I am usually the one who procrastinates on getting the house de-Chrismatized!
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2008, 10:03:09 am »
mine came down last night - the reef on the dorr is the only yhring lft - it was the first thing up on 1 Jan and its still looks great so going to keep it up for a while - its nice having something on my door.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2008, 02:11:03 am »
seriously, next year, if we have a next year, the outside lights will go off when they're supposed to go off, on the Epiphany. The tree will stay longer
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2008, 02:16:29 pm »
Ours are still up here and it is January 5th..   Maybe tomorrow they will come down..  I dont want to wait too much longer.  But I must admit Im not sick of the tree and decorations yet.  Its pretty. ;)

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2008, 12:27:22 pm »
I would leave them up all year, but there is a superstition that if they are up after the 5th.  I always thought that this was the twelfth day of Christmas?

I think that any strong superstition will quickly become tradition, and therefore my decorations came down yesterday    :'(

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2008, 12:28:33 pm »
sorry, that made no sense.  What I meant to say was, if decs are up after the fifth, it's bad luck. 

Sorry, my fingers ran away from me!   :laugh:

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2008, 02:09:19 pm »
Hey, Sandy, I'm glad you avoided the bad luck!  But I see that 6 folks in the poll above voted for Martin Luther King Day as the latest that it was okay to take them down, so I'm just going to trust that they'll be fine in spite of all!  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...