Author Topic: When is it too late to still have Holiday decorations up?  (Read 116809 times)

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: When is it too late to still have Holiday decorations up?
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2008, 02:37:48 pm »
Hi Meryl

Tell you what.... Martin Luther King Day 2009 it is!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2008, 04:49:28 pm »
It's epiphany today and that's the traditional day to take all Christmas decorations down and put away the tree.
However, we had guests today and therefore delayed it. But today is the first day we don't put on the window lights. Everything will come down tomorrow and the day after.
*sigh* I love my tree and its lights. I could leave it all winter, as long as it's so dark outside  :laugh:.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2008, 06:42:15 pm »
We have the candle lights in the windows and still have those up, even though all the decorations in the house are put away. Like you said, Chrissi, when it is so dark, it is nice to have the extra lights throughout the house.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Susiebell

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2008, 07:02:25 pm »
My house looks so bare  :-\

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2008, 10:47:00 pm »
sorry, that made no sense.  What I meant to say was, if decs are up after the fifth, it's bad luck. 

Sorry, my fingers ran away from me!   :laugh:
It's the 6th Sandy. They are supposed to be lit on that day, it's the Epiphany. Around NY it's the traditional last day for decorations to be lit outside, although last year the Rockefeller center tree stayed lit quite a few days longer, and so did other public things; I assume it was for the tourists. Personal lighting is another matter..And so far as the inside goes, if it's a real tree of course it needs to go but an artificial one can stay longer. But I wouldn't light anything outside after tonight, which is EPIPHANY.

And then it depends upon how much you have up inside too-----it takes a couple of weeks to remove and store what my mother does, while some can do it in an hour.
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2008, 08:46:35 am »
My house looks so bare  :-\

I know what you mean Susie. So I went and got myself a new big houseplant to 'replace' the christmas tree.

There, much better.  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2008, 08:56:32 am »
speaking of holiday decorations I clicked this link at google and sort of liked these. What do you think, is my taste lousy or do they have possibilities? Thery aren't that much and could be used in conjunction with a garland hung on a wall. Or they could also be used as one on the tree...

http://www.grapelightmagic.com/index.html?directLoad&uid=90639E8AAB71558449840BB4107FFDE9

Offline "Joseph Golden"

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Dozy embrace solidified in his memory
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2008, 09:37:02 am »

My mum made me take them down the other day. It took ages and i'm glad chrismas is once a year.
Don’t lie, don’t try to fool me, Ennis. I know what it means. Jack Twist? Jack Nasty.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2008, 07:18:47 pm »
Never too late ! Some houses have year round Christmas tree in their hoimes !

Right ?

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2008, 07:23:02 am »
If they're still up outside the house, BUT NO LONGER LIT and the weather is ,you can get away with it for a while.

But if you still have Santa dancing on the lawn in late january anywhere but Denver, Colorado--where the EXTERIOUR DECORATIONS are kept lit through the month of January to celebrate the National West Stock Show-- it looks ridiculous.

The exteriour lights are supposed to go off on the Feast of the Epiphany. Epiphany has always been the traditional end of the Christmas Season. We will probably leave the outside lights lit for Stock Show, but take off bows and ribbons.

I'm going to try to do a Brokeback Scene outside. Two cowboys around a campfire with a bear and 2 elk>>>for which you can read one of those brightly lit deer LOL they sell @ home depot.

That's the PLAN at any rate....
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's nice to be back here. The first step is the first post. THAT'S the hard one. You just get into the habit of not showing up. I've lost contact with a lot of people I care about and that just sucks, my fellow bettermostians...

I just stopped going online....kept meaning to come back but didn't. I meant what I said, about getting into the habit of not showing up. You simply DON'T and start thinking the Spirit of Brokeback is over when it isn't. It's inside of us and should be nurtured, treasured for what it is.

And then when I had the accident and was  injured so badly , I just didn't know what to say...until now. I haven't even seen the Denver Brokies much and that sucks. I even have mail in my BM box that's never been looked at and I am oh so sorry for that.

It's nice to be here, I miss Brokeback soooo much and miss talking with you all a great deal. Brokies understand each other; insofar as you can make a general statement about ANYthing, I've always believed Brokies have the same heart.

A hug from my heart to yours

AND BONJOUR, ARTISTE!!!