Author Topic: When is it too late to still have Holiday decorations up?  (Read 116803 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: When is it too late to still have Holiday decorations up?
« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2014, 06:38:59 pm »
I am beginning to think that perhaps it's not such a bad idea to keep lights up until the vernal equinox. Lights make everything so much more cheerful when it's dark so early in the afternoon or evening.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2014, 01:17:19 pm »
I usually take my lights down the first weekend after New Year's Day.  Given that New Year's Day is a Thursday this year, I'll extend it to the second weekend.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2015, 03:21:17 pm »
Well, at home and at work, all my Christmas decorations have been put away--except that I've decided to leave the imitation poinsettias and holly out, possibly through February.

And then at home I do have a lovely live Christmas decoration that will be up as long as it likes: My Christmas cactus is in full bloom.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2015, 04:02:18 pm »
Today we 'un-decorated' the office, with the exception of the Christmas tree, which will come down on the Epiphany, which is tomorrow.

My decorations and tree at home will stay up until Saturday, and I will continue to light them.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2015, 09:43:22 am »
On the way home from work and the gym, I decided to count the number of houses that were still lit up outside with holiday lights, thinking I'd get no higher than 7 or 8.

My surprise, I  counted 24 houses.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2017, 12:03:40 pm »
I still have my Christmas village set up, No time or no energy to take it down and put it back in storage. I hope to do that this weekend at the latest.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2017, 03:32:38 pm »
One of my neighbors beat me to putting up St. Valentine's Day decor, their windows already have red lights and hearts in them,

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2017, 04:24:27 pm »
One of my neighbors beat me to putting up St. Valentine's Day decor, their windows already have red lights and hearts in them,

Just before New Year's I was in my local drug store, and I remarked to the clerk about them putting out the Valentine's Day items. She replied, "And Easter eggs."

Easter isn't until April this year!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2017, 07:15:36 pm »
I don't know why people don't decorate for the Lunar New Year. It starts on January 28 this year and will be the Year of the Rooster. Lots of decorating possibilities!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2017, 07:30:12 pm »
We were discussing over coffee today how this decorating is an American thing. We decorate for Christmas  and possibly for birthdays when the children are young.  But I have never seen anyone decorate the rest of the year.