Author Topic: C.R.A.Z.Y  (Read 2141 times)

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
C.R.A.Z.Y
« on: May 14, 2006, 05:12:19 pm »
I would like to share this with you: this Canadian (Quebec) film has just been released in France. That's the title: C.R.A.Z.Y. I saw it this afternoon at the theatre, and I cannot get it out of my mind. NO, I don't think it will be the mind-blowing (or life-blowing, and heart-blowing) experience that BBM has been, but still, I think this film comes a close second in my list of favourite pics ever. Have any of you seen it?
I love that it spans more or less the same time period in time as BBM: 1960-1980. But whereas Ennis and Jack turn 20 in the early 60's and start their love story then, 1960 is the date of birth of Zach, the central character. And whereas the early 1980's strike the end of E&J's love story, 1980 is Zach's 20th birthday, and the time when he finally accepts his homosexuality, and accepts to suffer the consequences of his outing (his father can't accept it), to live according to who he is.
Whereas Ennis could never dream of being open about his love for Jack, we learn in the end that it took Zach's dad 10 years, but by 1990, Zach could visit his father again, and with his partner.
A lot of things from BBM can be found in CRAZY: the main character is confronted to both his (male) schoolmates' and brothers' homophobia, along with his father's, AND to his own internalized homophobia, like Ennis. The mother, like Mary Twist, is loving and accepting of her son. The girlfriend, like Alma, is a collateral victim of that multifarious homophobia.
But although it was certainly not meant, I see a little message of hope in the comparison between the 2 films (CRAZY being autobiographical, it seems): while Jack and Ennis's love was doomed, given their upbringing/background/period in time, Zach has a better chance, being 20 younger than them; although he suffers hell, he can still come out to himself and then to the world. 20 years. We can hope that those who were born in 1990 will have an easier time of it.
Would anyone like to add anything in the comparison between the 2 films, if you have seen this one? Or any thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 10:20:27 am by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: C.R.A.Z.Y
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 07:11:15 pm »
Isabelle

Did they do a voice over or did they keep the original language (accent/swearing & all)? It certainly was highly regarded here taking 11 of the 12 Genies (Canadian film awards) for which it was nominated (two male acting nominations in same category!), but wasn't even accepted as a finalist in the last Academy awards. I was drawn to the movie when I read on IMDb that this other french canadian thougth it to be the best movie of 2005 (of course, it doesn't hold a candle to BBM!) Still for it's budget, $7 m, of which $0.6 m went to the music rights I suppose it was alright.

Definitively, the outlook for the main character is more positive ... but then, Quebec is probably the most gays positive province in a fairly gay positive country, as opposed to the current state of affairs south of the border. In terms of viewership, it came out on DVD here on the same day as BBM, but, I don't think it was shown much in the states. Apparently it made quite a splash in Cannes last summer!

I agree, that it's interesting to note that both movies came out the same year, dealth with the same time span and a similar subject plot (coming to terms with one's sexual orientation), but in reality, the muti-faceted BBM, the classic tragedy element/believability, the incredible acting (C.R.A.Z.Y. seemed like a made for TV movie, in comparison), the majestic cinematography, the very romantic element of the one, ... makes for truly unfair comparison. It's quite easy to make a feel good movie, as opposed to the instant classic tragedy that BBM became. I've seen C.R.A.Z.Y. exactly once - can't tell you how many times I've seen that other little movie (guessing over 30 times).

Yes people should see C.R.A.Z.Y., but please don't think of it as an important/life altering movie - it isn't. It's a interresting portrayal of the culture of it's time & place. (Can you imagine Ennis or Jack enjoying the sounds of Bowie?) - It's true what they say - It'll take some time before I will be able to enjoy another movie without making unfair comparisons to what feels like the best movie ever made.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 10:47:01 am »
Roland:
They didn't do a voice-over; they kept the original language, swearing and all, but some passages of the dialogues were subtitled, because too far from our French!

Hey, I'm sorry I seem to have struck a sensitive chord here. I said in fact (read again) that I don't think it will be the mind/heart/life blowing experience BBM has been. Don't get me wrong, I think BBM truly is a masterpiece, and CRAZY lacks some qualities from a cinematographic point of view. YES. But now I think I should've been more objective, AND contended that it CAN be a life-changing experience. Hear me out.
I think many of us in our late 30's and 40's have been devastated by BBM because of its "missed opportunity" message - which many of us can relate to, and be spurred into action to change our lives now.
Now, I am very happy if Canada/Quebec are gay-friendly places, just remember they are still very rare around the globe. I am sure teenagers can relate more to CRAZY than to BBM - and CRAZY could 'save' them and avoid them having to feel too much like Ennis later in their lives! I teach teenagers, and I wish they could ALL see CRAZY. Some, to help them deal with their own sexual orientation, others, to make them think about the stupidity of their homophobia and its incredible harm.
I don't have the current figures, but I know that in the 1990's in France, homophobia in all its forms was the first cause of attempted suicides and suicides among male teenagers. I know for sure that as far as Europe is concerned, Poland, and certainly most, if not all, of Eastern Europe is incredibly (and mortally) homophobic.
So yes, CRAZY may not be the cinematic masterpiece BBM is, but it CAN be life-changing, or life-saving, for many teenagers. Let's not play it down.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 06:21:28 pm by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 07:11:34 pm »
I saw this film and liked it very much!!

Maybe you did too??

Au revoir,

hugs!

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 04:51:29 pm »
Anyone think that this film is more positive to the BM movie?

Or less positive, than what us gays want as civil?

Au revoir,
hugs!