Author Topic: [Important Tip!] Your Personal Messages (PM) & E-Mail Forwarding  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
[Important Tip!] Your Personal Messages (PM) & E-Mail Forwarding
« on: November 11, 2007, 05:46:13 pm »
Your Personal Message box on BetterMost is used as a conduit for both "Personal Messages" (PM's) which are similar to electronic mail as well as what the system software calls "Instant Messages" (IM's) which are comparable to chat services like MSN Messenger, AIM, ICQ, etc.

PM's on BetterMost are secure ways to send private thoughts back and forth between members.  Their contents are entirely private between the parties, and we do not regulate their content (unless someone uses the system to send spam).

Many residents here have configured their BetterMost profile to automatically send a copy of any PM's to their regular e-mail box they use for the rest of their e-mail.  Then, whenever someone sends you a PM, you'll get a copy automatically sent to the e-mail address of your choice.

However, and this is very important, you cannot currently reply to the e-mailed versions you receive of PM's.  If you do, you aren't actually responding to the person who wrote you, but instead you are responding to the system Postmaster which sent you the e-mail.  Your replies end up in a special mailbox in my own e-mail account.  I make a special effort never to read the content of these messages, nor would I ever disclose their contents.  I usually just have to delete them.  But more importantly, your replies are not going to be seen by the person you are writing to!

Instead, to send a reply with the current version of the software, you need to log back on here on BetterMost and reply using our own PM system.  I have already suggested to the software authors that they should make accomodations to let people reply to e-mailed PM's by sending them to the e-mail address you specified when you registered for an account, but there is no provision for that at this time.

So please remember not to reply directly to Personal Messages you have asked to forward to your personal e-mail address.  Instead, login to BetterMost and reply on our own PM system.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 05:27:41 pm by Phillip Dampier »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming