Author Topic: All Things Sci-Fi and Fantasy  (Read 88840 times)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
All Things Sci-Fi and Fantasy
« on: November 18, 2007, 02:39:30 pm »
Just a headsup for Brokies. If you love Sci-Fi / Fantasy, you might be interested in attending the 2008 World Fantasy Convention in Calgary (Oct30-Nov3).
I'm a sci-fi buff from way back, it was my chief obsession before Brokeback. I plan to attend the Calgary convention, and since I'm in the area, I think I might do a little Brokie pilgrimage activity as well. Contact me if you want to coordinate next year. For more info, go to:

www.worldfantasy.org

[email protected]

happy trails!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 07:56:45 pm by brokeplex »

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
Re: 2008 Calgary World Fantasy Convention
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 03:18:11 pm »
oh god...you like Sci fi TOO??

that is it...I know you too well now to get a good head of steam at you...

dang it...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I am a particular fan of sci fi short stories...I love to find an anthology of stories that are well rounded out and have surprise endings....have you ever seen "Catastrophe!!"?? It breaks down the various types: The universe ends, the sun ends, the earth ends or mankind ends...then it presents three of four short stories with each theme...

one of my ALL time faves, I love a good end of the world story!!

yes, I love "Catast" you're also right as to why its great Sci-Fi. I just managed to secure a DVD copy of the 1956 classic "Earth Vs the Flying Saucers", it has a great interview with special effect wizard Ray Harryhausen. Pick it up, you will love it.

Do you write any Sci-fi? I am just finishing up a my screenplay based upon Larry Niven's "Man-Kzin Wars". I have coordinated with Niven at several conventions and love to go to them. Do you plan to go to Calgary in Nov 2008? If so let me know, I'd love to have someone to meet with there, especially someone who would like to do a little Brokie pligrimage.

Oh by the way, never be shy with me, if I write something, especially on the current events forum that you hate, lash right into it! I love controversy!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 05:04:58 pm »
I not a huge sci fi fan but I loved Buffy - Joss whedon is a bit of a god - I liked the human real life element to it. Therefore I also liked Angel.

Also like hereos although not obsessed with it like my other half is.. I watch it cos he does so there aint anything e;se I can watch wehn hes watching that!!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 09:35:48 pm »
just tell me this....which did you prefer? ST the Next Generation? or Deep Space Nine?

What a great question! Obviously like me you are a Trekkie! I want to share a memory before I answer.

I'm old enough to have seen the TOS broadcast premiere on network TV back in the 60's. In fact TOS is another great Chris memory. (I am at this moment tearing up remembering) The night TOS premiered on TV, I was over at Chris's house, and Chris, his older brother and me watched it! We were just knocked out by Kirk and the boys! The memory of Chris and me running around in his parent's house imitating phaser sounds that night is as clear as a bell. We really pissed off our mothers! They were busy in the kitchen doing unexplainable mommy stuff and didn't like us running thru the kitchen making weird noises. Star Trek was thereafter a bond with Chris and myself, we even went to several conventions together in the 1980's.

As for TNG and DS9: well, I saw every episode of both. I have positive things to say about both. I think that Jean Luc Picard is my ideal of a Captain. Decisive,yet thoughtful and intellectual. And, I always suspected that Capt. Picard had a boyfriend tucked away hidden somewhere in space and time.
On DS9 I really liked the character of 7 of 9, she really reminded me in a way of someone struggling to come out of their closet. I admired her decisivness and ability to function like Spock did on the TOS. I guess I have to vote with TNG as the better of the two, overall. I have the complete collection of all of the episodes of both series. D.L. loves to watch them, he was too young remember much of TNG in its early days, much less TOS! And, I guess I serve as a source of Trekkie trivia for him.   

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 12:48:52 pm »
would I be a complete geek if I said it is the "Pon farr"??

:laugh: :laugh:

and a couple of Vulcans scrapping is sexy whoever they are scrapping over...

Hey thanks! You're a Trekkie with answers! Say, do you also like Star Wars? I really was obsessed with Star Wars back in the late 90's and up to SWIII.
I used to spend 2-3 hours every day reading and occasionally posting on the "official" forum, you know the one where Lucas would occasionally jump in.
Funny that Brokeback came along at a time when I guess I was looking for a new obsession.

My favorite SW movie is SW#5, The Empire Strikes Back. My biggest disappointment was SW#6. Can we please have a minor disputation over that? We are agreeing on too much here! I get scared when I start agreeing with liberals too often. LOL!

I had a great Thanksgiving here in Ft Worth with D.L. and 6 of our friends. We were in the middle of lunch when D.L. came running back in from outside and yelled, "Its snowing outside!". PLEASE...when was the last time it snowed in DFW in late November? We looked out and BEHOLD.....there were dime to quarter sized flakes falling, they fell for about an hour. It got down to low 30's last night! Maybe global warming has backed up a bit! Oh, can we please scrap about that! I love that issue, as I am a part of the energy industry here in Texas.

have a wonderful holiday with the ones you love!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
All Things Sci-Fi and Fantasy
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 07:55:58 pm »
*Jess making notes...OK, Brokeplex wants to fight about global warming...that will have to be over in the Current Events forum later....

and let's see...oh, Star Wars!! *

MY favorite Star Wars movie is The Phantom Menace!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

*ding ding ding*

Round 1!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

whoops, you are too funny! yeah, I guess we need a thread over at current events concerning mankind's role in global warming, do you accept it or not?
oh and Phantom Menace is great! sorry I hate to agree with you.

I think I will rename this thread as the following: "All Things Science Fiction and Fantasy" as it has gone beyond my original intent of just a heads up to Brokies about the 2008 Fantasy convention in Calgary.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
Re: All Things Sci-Fi and Fantasy
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 09:18:22 pm »
I just read William Shatners newest star trek novel ; "Star Trek Academy : Collision Course" about how Jim and Spock met when Jim was 17 and Spock 19 in San Fran. Hmm, when I was 19 I also met an interesting guy in San Fran, to bad he wasn't a vulcan.

also check out Larry Niven's new Known Universe novel, "Fleet of Worlds", wow it is great.....the story of the Puppeteers and their fleet fleeing the galaxy. love that Niven!

and Ben Bova's new story, "The Aftermath",   a continuation of the asteroid wars saga.....go find it, if you love hard sci-fi, you'll love this one.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 09:33:14 pm »
I like the old Star Trek. I used to watch it in repeats all the time in the 1970's.  I think my favorite episode was CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER.  Joan Collins was in that episode. 

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 09:39:02 pm »
Bingo, that is one of my favorites as well. I especially like the sad ending. Helen Keiler's life sacrificed so that Earth can avoid a nuclear war in the 1940's! Wow, I still remember seeing that episode in the 1960's as it spurred my interest in time travel sci-fi and the alternate universe sci-fi genre. For days after I saw that episode I was babbling to Chris about how great it was, he finally told me to shut up! ha,ha.......

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 10:35:05 pm »
Frank Gorshen was cool in that episode. Wasn't he also the "Riddler" on the 1960's Batman tv series?