Author Topic: Twist family Bible study: the Gospel of Mark  (Read 156228 times)

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Twist family Bible study: the Gospel of Mark
« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2007, 07:44:33 pm »
A portion of this particular passage (Mark 6:52-53) appears to be written on a "postage-stamp sized" piece of papyrus dated to no later than AD 68.

If this is true it could be the earliest written bit of gospel text that has been found.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_Mark
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #111 on: December 07, 2007, 07:47:07 pm »
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

injest

« Reply #112 on: December 09, 2007, 02:17:46 am »
Since Wayne isn't here tonight I will offer a little prayer

Lord please watch over Wayne, Truman, and Rich while they visit and have fun. Keep them on their adventures and see them home safely .

In Jesus's name.

Amen

Offline Wayne

« Reply #113 on: December 09, 2007, 02:02:15 pm »
Thank you Jess! We had a fun time... had dinner on the rooftop!     ;D

Hope everybody's having a good day.      :D

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #114 on: December 10, 2007, 11:20:23 pm »
I thank Jesus that Truman had a fun trip and a safe ride home!    :)

Don

injest

« Reply #115 on: December 10, 2007, 11:30:35 pm »
Wayne I am reading a book called "the Year of Living Biblically" by AJ Jacobs. He is a non practicing Jew that decided to try to live very close to the tenets of the Bible...as close as he could get. It is VERY interesting to see the change in him as the year progresses. At first he was very tongue in cheek..*wink wink isn't all this silly* but as the year progresses you see him beginning to struggle and change. It is so interesting. He is just now trying to follow the New testament...there is a passage I want to post for you...let me find it.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #116 on: December 10, 2007, 11:31:03 pm »
In Mark chapter 7, Jesus again addresses the distinction between following religious rules and doing God's will.

I can't altogether agree with Jesus that we should not wash our hands before we eat. I do think that God wants us to use our common sense to promote public health. But I think I get Jesus's main point that following rituals for show may not be the same thing as doing God's will.

Here's the Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_7

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #117 on: December 10, 2007, 11:33:49 pm »
as the year progresses you see him beginning to struggle and change.
Interesting, yeah, I heard about that on NPR.

Aren't there some photos of him through the year as his beard and hair grow longer?

Don

injest

« Reply #118 on: December 10, 2007, 11:42:53 pm »
yep,

"Greenburg says God is like an artist who is constantly revising his masterpiece. Sometimes, he nearly erases His whole work--as with the Great Flood. Other times, he listens to what humans say---Moses, for instance argues with God and convinces him to spare the lives of the complaining Isrealites. "It sounds strange to say it" he says "but in the Bible, God is on a learning curve""

"never blame a text from the Bible for your behaviour, it's irresponsible. Anybody who says X,Y, and Z is in the Bible---it is as if one says ' I have no role in evaluating this"

"just because you are religious doesnt mean you give up your responsibility to choose. You have to grapple with the Bible."

I like this interpretation...this way of looking at the Bible.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #119 on: December 10, 2007, 11:49:31 pm »
Jesus seems to be getting more heat from the authorities. He secreatly retreats to Lebanon, but even there fame follows him.

He heals a Greek woman's daughter of an "unclean spirit." When she asks, he first resists, saying that food meant for "the children" (the Jews) should not be given to "the dogs" (the Gentiles).

Now honestly this sounds pretty trite to me - not the mindset of the only son of the universal omnipotent all-loving and only god.

The woman says Yes, but even the dogs get to eat the crumbs the children drop. So he tells her that her daughter (who is not present) is healed.

Don