Author Topic: Twist family Bible study: the Gospel of Mark  (Read 156119 times)

injest

Re: Twist family Bible study: the Gospel of Mark
« Reply #150 on: December 16, 2007, 03:05:21 am »
but it is not just a challenge....he is telling the rich man that he has to change HIMSELF to get into heaven

well I guess you can call it a challenge...but to me it is more just a fact...a warning

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #151 on: December 16, 2007, 03:14:03 am »
Yep, sounds right to me.   :)

Well, past 2am    :o  I best head off for bed shortly ... hope everything's going well Miz Jess!    :-* :-*  -_-  -_-
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #152 on: December 16, 2007, 10:56:21 am »
The site that Shasta pointed us to has an interesting page about Jesus's reaction to the rejection of his message.

http://www.abu.nb.ca/courses/NTIntro/Jesus'Death3.htm

If Jesus were omniscient from the start, he would have known they were going to reject his message.

He wouldn't be surprised. Would he have even bothered?    ???
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

injest

« Reply #153 on: December 16, 2007, 11:02:36 am »
I have a heretical theory about all that....but I don't want to derail your lil train! LOL

Offline Wayne

« Reply #154 on: December 16, 2007, 06:22:21 pm »
 :D  Please feel free Jess!  I think alternative interpretations are interesting!    :)

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #155 on: December 16, 2007, 06:32:18 pm »
Maybe while we're on the topic of alternatives, and we happen to be in Mark chapter 10, this would be a good time to introduce the Secret Gospel of Mark.

Secret Mark consists of only 2 short passages that are said to have been deleted from the gospel of Mark as we have it. The authenticity of Secret Mark is disputed. It was either discovered or created in 1958 by biblical scholar Morton Smith in a monastery near Jerusalem.

http://www.westarinstitute.org/Periodicals/4R_Articles/SecretMk/secretmk.html

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #156 on: December 16, 2007, 06:50:04 pm »
The text is available only because it is quoted within a letter written by Clement in Alexandria in the 2nd century. It starts out innocuously enough. The story is so familiar that we feel sure we know the name of the young man who had died, even though it is not specified here. The longer of the 2 passages is to be inserted after Mark 10:46. The text of that passage is this:

And they come into Bethany. And a certain woman whose brother had died was there. And, coming, she prostrated herself before Jesus and says to him, 'Son of David, have mercy on me.' But the disciples rebuked her. And Jesus, being angered, went off with her into the garden where the tomb was, and straightway a great cry was heard from the tomb. And going near Jesus rolled away the stone from the door of the tomb. And straightway, going in where the youth was, he stretched forth his hand and raised him, seizing his hand. But the youth, looking upon him, loved him and began to beseech him that he might be with him. And going out of the tomb they came into the house of the youth, for he was rich. And after six days Jesus told him what to do and in the evening the youth comes to him, wearing a linen cloth over his naked body. And he remained with him that night, for Jesus taught him the mystery of the kingdom of God. And thence, arising, he returned to the other side of the Jordan.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #157 on: December 16, 2007, 07:06:32 pm »
The part that really catches my eye is:

in the evening the youth comes to him, wearing a linen cloth over his naked body. And he remained with him that night, for Jesus taught him the mystery of the kingdom of God.

To me that sounds really nice.     :)

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #158 on: December 16, 2007, 07:10:39 pm »
Clement is responding to questions from a man named Theodore. He tells Theodore that Secret Mark does not contain the phrase "naked man with naked man," and provides the quote above.

You can see photos of Clement's letter here:  http://www.westarinstitute.org/Periodicals/4R_back_issues/SecretMk2/secretmk2.html

(although the 1st page doesn't show on my machine - I can only see pages 2 and 3)

Don

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #159 on: December 16, 2007, 07:17:23 pm »

He wouldn't be surprised. Would he have even bothered?    ???

I think we all have things in our life we wonder why we bother with. Like what difference is it going to make buying a christmas present for some child relative who won;t remember. I think he was banking karma, he was doing it because it was pushing the world in the right direction from his vantage point.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."