Author Topic: Twist family Bible study: the Gospel of Mark  (Read 156005 times)

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Twist family Bible study: the Gospel of Mark
« Reply #220 on: December 21, 2007, 04:57:23 pm »
An example of a tomb hewn from rock at about that time.  The body would be laid there for a year to decompose. Then the bones would be collected and placed in an ossuary. The tomb would then be used again later for another member of the family.

When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #221 on: December 21, 2007, 08:07:27 pm »
Well I'd like to wrap this one up for now.

I'll tell you straight: it's not what you might think.

For centuries, the authoritative gospel of Mark ended with no sightings of a resurrected Jesus.
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #222 on: December 21, 2007, 08:11:03 pm »
The sabbath having passed, Mary the Magdalene, and Mary of James, and Salome, bought spices, that having come, they may anoint him.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=mark%2016;&version=31;

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #223 on: December 21, 2007, 08:15:31 pm »
They hoped there would be someone there to help them roll the stone away from the tomb, because it was very large.

But when they arrived, the stone had already been rolled away.

As they entered the tomb, they saw a young man dressed in a white robe sitting on the right side, and they were alarmed.

"Don't be alarmed," he said. "You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who was crucified. He has risen! He is not here. See the place where they laid him. But go, tell his disciples and Peter, 'He is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him, just as he told you.' "

Trembling and bewildered, the women went out and fled from the tomb. They said nothing to anyone, because they were afraid.

And as far as we know, that is the end of the gospel of Mark.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #224 on: December 21, 2007, 08:20:52 pm »
Today, maybe more than any day in my life before, I want to believe in an everlasting life.

If I live long enough, I know that there will come at least two more times in my life when I will want it even more than now.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #225 on: December 22, 2007, 02:31:43 pm »
Later manuscripts add verses 9-20 in which Jesus appears to Mary Magdalene and the other disciples. The tone is a little different, and authorities agree that these verses are not part of the original.

But the original does seem to end unexpectedly.

It has been suggested that the last page of the book, or the outermost spiral of the scroll, wore away from use like a ragged paperback book and was lost before the rest of the manuscript was copied.

Don

injest

« Reply #226 on: December 24, 2007, 06:24:43 pm »
Today, maybe more than any day in my life before, I want to believe in an everlasting life.

If I live long enough, I know that there will come at least two more times in my life when I will want it even more than now.

And what are those two things, Wayne?

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #227 on: December 24, 2007, 09:04:08 pm »

May you have a wonderful and fulfilling Christmas season, and Very Glorious New Year.  I dont know you very well, but from what I hear from Truman and Lynne, whom I trust totally.  You are truly a deserving individual.  So from me to you Happy Holidays, and forever.

" Christ the Pantocrator"
The most common translation of Pantocrator is "Almighty" or "All-powerful." In this understanding, Pantokrator is a compound word formed from the Greek words for "all" and the noun "strength" (κρατος). This is often understood in terms of potential power; i.e., able to do anything, or omnipotent.

Another, less literal translation is "Ruler of All" or "Sustainer of the World." In this understanding, Pantokrator is a compound word formed from the Greek for "all" and the verb meaning "To accomplish something" or "to sustain something" (κρατεω). This translation speaks more to God's actual power; i.e., God does everything (as opposed to God can do everything).

The Pantokrator, largely a Byzantine or Eastern Orthodox theological issue is by that name largely unknown to Roman Catholicism and most Protestants. In the West the equivalent image is known as Christ in Majesty, which developed a rather different iconography. Pantokrator is roughly synonymous with the western concept of omnipotence. But omnipotence is power in stasis while the power of the Pantokrator is dynamic.

courtesy of Orthodox Photos.com.               

Beautiful mind

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #228 on: December 24, 2007, 09:57:10 pm »
So, in today's episode, Mark 6, Jesus goes to his hometown of Nazareth.  But they are not as impressed with him as everybody else has been.

-- Where did this man get these things?" they asked... "Isn't this the carpenter? Isn't this Mary's son and the brother of James, Joseph, Judas and Simon? Aren't his sisters here with us?" And they took offense at him.

Jesus then send the 12 apostles out in pairs to all the villages in the area to heal and cast out demons.

Okay so i am sorry I am so far behind, and this is just gonna totally back up everything but I will just plow thru here and conjecture of the last week or two, okay?

Well they already knew Jesus in Nazareth. They had his number, whatever it was, and I doubt there was much he could do to impress them.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #229 on: December 24, 2007, 10:00:14 pm »
Jesus teaches a large crowd. But at the end of the day, everybody is hungry and among 5,000 people the only food they can find is five loaves and two fish.

Jesus has them sit down on the "green grass" in groups of 50 to 100, and shares the bread and fish. When they have finished passing it around, all 5,000 ate their fill and they collected twelve basketfuls of broken pieces of bread and fish.

Later on in Chapter 8, Jesus asks the disciples to remember how many baskets were left. Some say the numerological significance is that there was enough left for the 12 tribes of Israel. And perhaps the 5 loaves and 5 thousand was a reference to the 5 books of Moses?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feeding_the_multitude

You rememory that story about the Stone Soup, Captain Kangaroo featured it prevalently. I bet it was like that, he told people well I got this and laid the trip on them and they started pulling stuff out too.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."