Author Topic: Where the name "Ennis" came from?  (Read 19880 times)

Scott6373

Re: Where the name "Ennis" came from?
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 02:01:31 pm »
In all the "Meet The Author" thingys she did, I am surprised no one ever asked her how she came up with that name

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 10:03:05 am »
Once long ago I saw a post that someone reported that Ennis, Montana had a DelMar Motel, but I have never seen any cooberating evidence.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 01:01:44 pm »
South of Dallas in Texas, along Highway 45 between Dallas and Houston, there's also a town named Ennis. Not far from Ennis, TX is a town (village?) named Alma. They're both in Ellis county. Here's a map of Ellis county where you can see both, Ennis and Alma:

(look at the right lower end of the map for Highway 45. Follow it and it leads you first to Alma, then to Ennis)

Naturally, I have no idea where Annie Proulx first encountered the name Ennis. But I firmly believe that she meant Ennis Del Mar to be an island in the sea.

moremojo

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 07:11:44 pm »
Ennis has been noted as both a geographic name (apart from the towns in Montana and Texas, there is also the one in Ireland) and as a family name, but apart from our fictional Ennis del Mar, I've never known of anyone bearing it as a first (or even middle) name. I wonder if Proulx had ever encountered anyone named thus in her own life.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 11:23:11 am »
Bumping this interesting thread. 

In addition to the oft-quoted "Island of the sea" meaning, I found one source that defines "Ennis" not as "island", but as meaning "one choice".   It's one of those "what to name your baby" sites!  But, it suggests that Ennis as a name is a variant of Angus.

Ennis \e(n)-nis\ as a boy's name (also used as girl's name Ennis), is of Celtic origin, and the meaning of Ennis is "one choice". Variant of the Scottish Gaelic name Angus. 

Food for thought!

http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/1/Ennis

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 06:56:08 pm »

That seems very right to me..  It makes more sense than an island, especially since Ms Proulx is from a place, that obviously doesn't contain any islands, that I am aware of.  I have found that source also to have that result.  Gaelic, I mean.

Thanks Paul

Beautiful mind