Author Topic: vegetarian diets  (Read 30587 times)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
vegetarian diets
« on: December 16, 2007, 11:48:33 pm »
Anyone out there who follows a strict vegetarian diet? I don't mean vegan, but ovo-lacto vegetarian.

I followed a fairly strict ovo-lacto veg diet back in the 1990's for a couple of years and I lost about 50 pounds. I increased my daily exercise quota as well. I really felt healthier after going on the diet and increasing my daily exercise.

I still to this day no longer eat beef, lamb,or pork. I learned to bake my own bread which I still do, and I have kept the weight off after all of these years.

Other  lasting effects of my veg experience, I became much more conscious of my diet and my health, and I learned to cook for myself and not rely on restaurants.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: vegetarian diets
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 12:06:09 am »
I'm interested. Does that mean you had vegetables, eggs, and milk products? What are a couple of sample meals that you liked? Now you have added chicken and seafood?
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 12:11:42 am »
Yes, I added eggs, cheese, milk, yogurt to a strict vegetarian diet. A bit like the vegetarian ingredients you might find in a vegetarian East Indian meal.

Later I added some chicken and some fish to the diet, and have pretty much maintained that ever since. I don't consider myself a vegetarian because I do eat chicken and fish, but I would say that the overall percentage of vegetables and milk products in my diet would have to be much higher than the average American.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 07:46:44 am »
well I'm a fairly vegertarian - and I can tell you - I'm in need of losing a stone ro two - doesn't matter whether you are vegetarian or a veagn - you cna still gorge on junkl foods.

My vegan friends junkl food is chips/french fries.

Brokeplex - this topic might get more of a reponse in bettermost people - I could move it over to there is you wish?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 03:56:59 pm »
well I'm a fairly vegertarian - and I can tell you - I'm in need of losing a stone ro two - doesn't matter whether you are vegetarian or a veagn - you cna still gorge on junkl foods.

My vegan friends junkl food is chips/french fries.

Brokeplex - this topic might get more of a reponse in bettermost people - I could move it over to there is you wish?

sure, move it please! and how much weight is a "stone"?  I'm in Texas, a "stone" is just a fancy word for "rock" here. happy holidays!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 10:05:28 pm »

My grandaughter has become a vegetarian this year...Its been about four months now.  She is
liking it a lot. 
      I keep nagging her to be sure she is getting her needed amount of protein.  She is taking supplements,
lots of nuts.  Soy, and such...She said she feels great  She is looking wonderful too...So far so good.

She eats eggs, and such, just no meat.  Not even chicken, or fish.  Which she never ate before..She
hates fish, and it makes her sick just to smell it.

Beautiful mind

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 01:07:01 pm »
The nuts, soy products and eggs should stand her well. You are correct that one the major problems vegetarians face is getting enough balanced proteins. Most vegetarian foods have proteins in them, but they are usually a protein of only one category or the other. The secret is to consume a combination of foods which in aggregate have sufficient proteins. Examples are balancing brown rice with soy, or balancing corn with beans. Each of the elements alone does not provide a complete balanced protein, but eaten together they are protein complete.

My favorite example from native American diets is balancing blue Indian corn tortillas with frijoles. top that with a little cheese and a green salad on the side, and you have a complete meal !

Right now I am sitting in a skiing lodge in the mountains in N Mexico. I just finished eating an excellent bowl of turkey chili with blue corn tortillas!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 01:19:02 pm »
Right now I am sitting in a skiing lodge in the mountains in N Mexico. I just finished eating an excellent bowl of turkey chili with blue corn tortillas!

That setting -- WOW!! The lunch sounds good too.  ;)  Where's D.L.?  On the slopes? 
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 01:22:59 pm »
He is out on the slopes, trying to ski. He usually falls down bruised, but the boy has stamina! He just gets right back up, squarely in the face of the evidence that he can't ski, and tries again. I plan to hike up the side of the mountain after lunch, meanwhile I am enjoying a warm fire and a beautiful view outside.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 04:14:18 pm »
a stone is 14 pounds..

sorry I have had computer problems - I'll move this over now.

Can you explain tuerey chilli to me? This is vegetarian? Or its cos you eat white meat? I'm confused! In the US you give some foods funny names!!!!

:P
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/