Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4591009 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #10520 on: February 07, 2010, 01:48:08 am »
Incoming comparison photo from 3 p.m. today.  I was going to upload it and passed out on my way to doing something-or-other and didn't wake up till 8:30.

Then the power went out for two hours.

If anyone is going anywhere in this town in the next day or so, it'll be on foot.  My boots are only ankle high so I'm not going anywhere at all.

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #10521 on: February 07, 2010, 04:52:50 am »
Wow, I was outside in pants and a short-sleeved shirt for a while this afternoon!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #10522 on: February 07, 2010, 05:26:53 am »
Wow, that's an impressive amount of snow!!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #10523 on: February 07, 2010, 05:31:07 am »
Wow, here I am in Alaska, and the weather here is more like what it normally should be in Philly.  If you're trying to show me up, you've succeeded!  ;D

Just dropping in to say a quick Hi.  The opera opens in two hours.  Wish us luck!  Thanks for the good vibes, Clarissa.  :-*

I guess the premiere must be over by now. I hope everything went super!
Toi toi toi for the ongoing shows!

I miss you Meryl! :-*

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #10524 on: February 07, 2010, 05:36:10 am »
I'm happy not to live in Louise's or Jeff's snowy neighbourhood :laugh:. I don't want the white stuff back, you can keep it all ;D.

Clarissa, why is it relatively balmy in Seattle? Seattle is pretty far north, not too far from Canada. And yes, in my European brain Canada in winter = one huge icebox ;).

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #10525 on: February 07, 2010, 05:40:33 am »
LOL Chrissi!

In my European brain too. When I think of Canada in winter, snowshoes come to mind. Used by hunters in the wilderness.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #10526 on: February 07, 2010, 10:54:05 am »
A misconception about Seattle being "very far north." The ocean and the protected bay play a large role in the climate of the northwest coast of the US and southern British Columbia.  Those areas, while there is snow in the mountains on a regular basis, have what may be termed a mediterranean climate, and are quite mild compared to the inland areas east of the Cascade and Okanagan Mountains, which form the northern ranges of the Rockies.  Between the ocean , the Puget Sound and the inland bays to the west, there is rainforest in much of the Olympic Peninsula, some areas of which get 100 inches of rain a year and are therefore classified as "rainforest."  Both Vancouver and Seattle, which are 120 miles apart, have mild winters with (before global warming accelerated) would rarely get more than a few inches of snow a couple of times a year, and more often would get just a dusting so that everyone could point and say "Oh look, snow."  Drive 30 miles east, however, into the foothills, and there is abundant winter snow and ski areas.  It is almost always possible, at least in the old days of the 1980's and 1990's, to drive toward the coast and away from the snow, although there is often black ice conditions in the deepest part of winter from freezing fog.

The area recently, however, has been getting very unpredictable weather, and right now, snow machines are working around the clock to put snow on the mountains in Whistler to accommodate the Winter Olympics as they are completely denuded of snow.    We have several metric tons of snow we could ship them :)

Most areas around the Capitol have gotten record snowfall for a two day period, the highest of which was in Coleville, Maryland, which received 40 inches.  That is the height of a 6 year old!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #10527 on: February 07, 2010, 03:54:13 pm »
A lot of snow here in Askersund, Sweden at the moment. A few pics I snapped today. It was a beautiful winter day.

It´s a park bench in the last pic. It never stood a chance

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #10528 on: February 07, 2010, 04:00:39 pm »
and more snow

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork