Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4528796 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11780 on: December 06, 2013, 10:20:59 am »
What a way to start the day! I'm so glad my friend in Germany is ahead of me preparing the way! I think I'll get my snow boots and prepare a treat for myself and my kitty!

Just a few years ago, I figured out that St. Nikolaus had transmogrified itself into Santa Claus in the U.S.. . . . or did it?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11781 on: December 06, 2013, 10:37:03 am »
What a way to start the day! I'm so glad my friend in Germany is ahead of me preparing the way! I think I'll get my snow boots and prepare a treat for myself and my kitty!

Just a few years ago, I figured out that St. Nikolaus had transmogrified itself into Santa Claus in the U.S.. . . . or did it?

Yes, he did. And I'm proud that Santa Claus was made popular in the US thanks to one of our own! Our/your current picture of Santa goes back to a painting of Thomas Nast, a caricaturist from Landau who emigrated to the US. Landau is the next town from me and it's where my children go to school. In Landau, there's the annual Thomas Nast Nikolausmarkt (Advent market).

So in a twisted way you could say that 'we' (as in people from my area) invented Santa Claus. ;D ;)

The name Santa Claus has still much resemblance to the Dutch Sinterklaas, which is the Dutch version of Nikolaus.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #11782 on: December 06, 2013, 04:54:34 pm »

Our front door this morning:

This boot set-up looks really cute, Chrissi! 

Happy Nikolaus to you and your family!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #11783 on: December 06, 2013, 05:01:59 pm »
Yes, he did. And I'm proud that Santa Claus was made popular in the US thanks to one of our own! Our/your current picture of Santa goes back to a painting of Thomas Nast, a caricaturist from Landau who emigrated to the US. Landau is the next town from me and it's where my children go to school. In Landau, there's the annual Thomas Nast Nikolausmarkt (Advent market).

Oh, how neat! I didn't know Nast was an immigrant from Germany.  :D

He was a very important political cartoonist, too.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11784 on: December 06, 2013, 05:03:45 pm »
Jeff, I have enjoyed all 19,015 posts!!

Awww. ...  :-*
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11785 on: December 06, 2013, 07:21:39 pm »
Oh, how neat! I didn't know Nast was an immigrant from Germany.  :D

And even from the Palatinate, pretty close to where your ancestors came from! :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11786 on: December 07, 2013, 12:46:00 pm »
And even from the Palatinate, pretty close to where your ancestors came from! :)

Lots of good things come from Rheinpfalz.  ;D

I've been thinking about these posts, and I suppose this really belongs on the holiday thread, but I've got to wondering where and when St. Nicholas' visit got pushed back from Dec. 6 to Dec. 24?

In addition to Nast's artwork, I suppose a lot of our American ideas of the jolly old fellow come from Clement Clarke Moore's poem A Visit from St. Nicholas (often incorrectly referred to as The Night Before Christmas). I presume it's Moore who gave us the "miniature sleigh and eight tiny reindeer." Moore was writing in New York State in the 1820s; was he responsible for the change in date, or by then did children already expect a visit on the night before Christmas?  ???

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #11787 on: December 22, 2013, 10:55:56 pm »
I had to post something today.  I don't think I've ever seen a day here without a single post. 

But the "recent posts" were all yesterday.

Until now.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11788 on: December 23, 2013, 01:42:50 am »
Thank you for posting friend.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #11789 on: December 23, 2013, 09:46:19 am »
post away!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!