Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4595499 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6030 on: February 01, 2008, 10:40:49 pm »
I think he just called all the rest of us THORNS!!

>:( >:(

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Congrats Meryl

If the thorn fits, Jess...

jess kidding!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #6031 on: February 01, 2008, 11:15:13 pm »
This trip home from Florida is proving the Leslie-adage of travel (once again): If one half of your trip is good, the other half will suck.

Yesterday, we were delayed in Newark while they fixed the PA system on the plane, but I guess a 15 minute delay doesn't equate with a crappy trip...so the crappy came today.

First, my 2:15 flight from Florida didn't take off til 3:45 pm. I knew I would miss my 6:10 connection so I had already called and they rebooked me on a 9 pm flight. However, when I got here, they said the 6:10 pm flight was delayed til 7:45. I raced over to Terminal F (which requires a shuttle trip and I think is in NJ). When I get there...flight is cancelled. Sigh. But! I did get a boarding pass. Back to Terminal C on the endless shuttle, hike to Terminal B, stop and eat some dinner (which was surprisingly good), get to the gate....

Flight delayed til 9:45 because the captain isn't here. We all sit patiently and then at 9:25 some women comes to the podium, says, "the flight is cancelled" and walks away!

The crowd (me included) is like WTF? There appears to be serious shortage of helpful people here at the Philadelphia airport and we are all standing there with our jaws hanging down.

Fortunately, a young man in crowd was on his cellphone and found out there was a flight to Boston at 11 pm. Gate B2, just down the hall. He gave us all the 800 number for USAirways. I got on the phone, changed my  flight (after a long time on hold) and now I am at the gate, boarding pass in hand. Let's hope....I'd rather get home in the middle of the night than try to find a hotel room and go through this whole rigamarole again tomorrow.

If you get the weather report from Maine tomorrow morning, you'll know I made it home safe and sound. Wish me lucK!

L

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

injest

« Reply #6032 on: February 02, 2008, 12:01:33 am »
If the thorn fits, Jess...

jess kidding!

jess kidding????

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #6033 on: February 02, 2008, 02:00:47 am »
Poor Leslie!  What a crappy day, indeed.  Don't airlines at least have the courtesy to tell you how to rebook when a flight's canceled?  I hope you made it home safely.  :(

Thanks for the congrats, Friends:  David, Fabienne, Janice, Chrissi, Mika, Jess, Fran and Amanda  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*

I love getting them even more than giving them!  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6034 on: February 02, 2008, 02:20:00 am »
Contratulations on your 5000th post Meryl!!!  :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #6035 on: February 02, 2008, 02:20:47 am »
Thank you, David!  :-*
And I should congratulate Louise on being the 300,000th poster!!  You join me (100,000th) and Janice (200,000th) in the Posters Hall of Fame.  ;D

CONGRATS, LOUISE!
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #6036 on: February 02, 2008, 08:37:43 am »
This trip home from Florida is proving the Leslie-adage of travel (once again): If one half of your trip is good, the other half will suck.

Yesterday, we were delayed in Newark while they fixed the PA system on the plane, but I guess a 15 minute delay doesn't equate with a crappy trip...so the crappy came today.

First, my 2:15 flight from Florida didn't take off til 3:45 pm. I knew I would miss my 6:10 connection so I had already called and they rebooked me on a 9 pm flight. However, when I got here, they said the 6:10 pm flight was delayed til 7:45. I raced over to Terminal F (which requires a shuttle trip and I think is in NJ). When I get there...flight is cancelled. Sigh. But! I did get a boarding pass. Back to Terminal C on the endless shuttle, hike to Terminal B, stop and eat some dinner (which was surprisingly good), get to the gate....

Flight delayed til 9:45 because the captain isn't here. We all sit patiently and then at 9:25 some women comes to the podium, says, "the flight is cancelled" and walks away!

The crowd (me included) is like WTF? There appears to be serious shortage of helpful people here at the Philadelphia airport and we are all standing there with our jaws hanging down.

Fortunately, a young man in crowd was on his cellphone and found out there was a flight to Boston at 11 pm. Gate B2, just down the hall. He gave us all the 800 number for USAirways. I got on the phone, changed my  flight (after a long time on hold) and now I am at the gate, boarding pass in hand. Let's hope....I'd rather get home in the middle of the night than try to find a hotel room and go through this whole rigamarole again tomorrow.

If you get the weather report from Maine tomorrow morning, you'll know I made it home safe and sound. Wish me lucK!

L

I hope you made it safe and sound Leslie and that you're still asleep while I'm typing this!  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #6037 on: February 02, 2008, 08:40:00 am »
Hey Louise, congratulations for posting the 300 000 post!!!

Have these for breakfast.  :)

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • There But For Fortune
« Reply #6038 on: February 02, 2008, 11:31:29 am »
Congratulations Meryl on 5000 outstanding posts.

Congratulations Louise on being the 300,000th poster.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #6039 on: February 02, 2008, 11:57:53 am »
Morning all,

41 degrees here and windy. Bright and sunny though.

The rest of the trip saga...

I did get on the Boston flight which was almost empty. There was alot of turbulence so the last 25 minutes of the flight (and it was only  a 50 minute flight) we flew at a much lower altitude than usual. It seems that the choices were to fly really high (36,000 ft) or really low (unknown altitude). I guess at a lower altitude the plane has to fly slower? (Someone who knows something about jets, help me out here). It the usual "roaring" of the jets sounded different. It was very weird. And I felt like the landing took forever. But...land we did. And just when I thought this lousy trip couldn't get any lousier....THE G****DMN JETWAY WAS BROKEN! So, we stood, then sat, on the plane for another 25 minutes while they tinkered with that. Finally, the Captain (thank God he has a functioning brain) suggested that they get the boarding stairs (I think he called them the air stairs) so we could get off the plane. Down one flight, walk around through wind and rain, and up another onto the jetway. Sigh...

My husband picked me up and we headed north. It's a 2 hour drive from Portland to Boston. For his drive down he was driving in sleet until the Massachusetts border. Fortunately, for the drive home, it was only rain (at first) and then that stopped completely.

I crawled into bed at 3 am. The last time I was up at 3 am was with the Boston Brokies in Sept 2006. I rather be up late under those circumstances than the one I was in yesterday!

I woke up this morning to sun shining through the window and I have to say, being home and being in my own bed made the late night hassle worth it. But what a trip! This is one for the memory book.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!