Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4596437 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7900 on: September 06, 2008, 08:19:33 am »
Good morning all...

Although my internal clock tells me it is 1 am, the clock on the wall says 7 am so...good morning! I am in the Frankfurt airport waiting for my connecting flight to Basel. It is a very busy place here but not much in the way of comfy seating so I think a little snooze is out of the question. Oh well.

.."Gala." I must have stood there debating for 5 minutes whether or not to buy it which convinced me that I am a little jet lagged. LOL. Finally, I picked it up and went to the cash register. The man there greeted me in English (do I look THAT American? LOL) and then he pointed out that the magazine was in German. (Americans don't read German? flitted through my brain). I said yes, I am buying it for the pictures (besides, I know my friend Chrissi will tell me what the article says!).

L

You were so near this morning! That's a pleasant thought :D

So, here I am, sitting in a chair, staring at the newsstand across the way and I notice this magazine that looks like it has Heath on the cover. Can it be? I go over and sure enough..
It was a very odd feeling to be in an airport in Germany and the first thing I see is Heath staring at me...

So cool! 8) Must be a good omen! :)

I'm glad I saw your post this morning right before I left for my big weekly grocery shopping. First thing I went to in the "real" market (yes, the one we've been to last year) was of course the magazine stand. If it weren't for your post, I would have missed it because I don't browse the gossip magazine section. So thanks for posting it :-*

I haven't read the article yet, but I bet it's awfully written. Bought it anyway. Can't help it, I'm a Heathen.

Here's the cover:

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7901 on: September 06, 2008, 11:00:58 am »
You have a puppy Fiona? Oh!! How cute! :)

Do you have any pictures posted of your puppy? If not, will you maybe post some puppy pictures in the future for us to see?

Here are some pics. of some of my 4 legged menagerie.The golden retriever,Rebo, Snowy the mini Maltese and Annie( as in little orphan as she was a rescue pup) the German shepherd cross. Who started very small and is growing at a truly alarming rate.The two cats Alex the black one and Jack the tabbyish one.
When we got Annie she was smaller than Snowy and now she is nearly the size of the retriever and she is still only 5 months old !!!!

Snowy weighs about 5lbs and is fully grown.She has a wicked temper and can easily hold her own with all of them, bit like her owner come to think of it !!!
Annie spends most of her day swimming in the pool and then soaking everything.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #7902 on: September 06, 2008, 11:27:57 am »
What an adorable four-legged brood you have, Fiona!  Love the pics, especially the one of Snowy atop Rebo-back Mountain.  ;)  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #7903 on: September 06, 2008, 11:36:56 am »
I haven't read the article yet, but I bet it's awfully written. Bought it anyway. Can't help it, I'm a Heathen.

Here's the cover:

Dude!!  Can you give us a rough translation?  Please please?

Interesting that he's on a mag cover over there.  I figured the press would be pretty quiet about him until either the Oscars or the release of Imaginarium.  So give us the scoop, Chrissi !!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #7904 on: September 06, 2008, 11:50:13 am »

Interesting that he's on a mag cover over there.  I figured the press would be pretty quiet about him until either the Oscars or the release of Imaginarium.  So give us the scoop, Chrissi !!

Will do later or tomorrow morning. Busy now. I was just about to log off when I saw your post.

:-*

TDK came out in Germany two weeks ago (and I think does very well here) and I guess that's the connection why they have Heath as cover story right now. I never saw Heath on the cover of any magazine before January. But then, that's not the section I normally would look at. Like I already said, I would have missed this one too, if not for Leslie posting about it.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7905 on: September 06, 2008, 11:57:43 am »

Will do later or tomorrow morning. Busy now. I was just about to log off when I saw your post.

:-*

TDK came out in Germany two weeks ago (and I think does very well here) and I guess that's the connection why they have Heath as cover story right now. I never saw Heath on the cover of any magazine before January. But then, that's not the section I normally would look at. Like I already said, I would have missed this one too, if not for Leslie posting about it.

I guess I just have Heath-dar or something...LOL.

Now I am in Basel. I just had a semi-strenuous hiking tour of the city (it would have been less strenuous if I was operating on more than two hours of sleep, I think) but even so, it was very nice. The weather is sort of rainy but not pouring. We walked around the old part of the city, saw the famous churches and the City Hall, then took this very funky little ferry across the Rhine. I didn't take any pictures because of the rain so nothing to post, yet. My host and hostess are lovely and my little "apartment" on the top floor of their house is great. Plus, I just figured out how to make the Internet work so now everyone knows I am happy as a clam...

We had delicious Swiss food for lunch (rosti, and veal and mushrooms in cream sauce). Tonight just a light supper and I think it will be early to bed for me!

More later...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #7906 on: September 06, 2008, 12:10:35 pm »

Laura, the cover translates as "The Last Days of Heath Ledger."  I'll leave it to Chrissi to let us know what's inside.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7907 on: September 06, 2008, 03:19:21 pm »

We had delicious Swiss food for lunch (rosti, and veal and mushrooms in cream sauce). Tonight just a light supper and I think it will be early to bed for me!

I had to google rosti because I had no idea what it was! They look like hash browns. Yummy! :D

I'll bet they are really good with a lot of salt on them! :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7908 on: September 06, 2008, 03:20:40 pm »
Leslie, I have never been to Switzerland, but am living it vicariously.  Thank you!

SUSIE!!! Where have you been? ???

I've missed you! :-*

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7909 on: September 06, 2008, 03:47:39 pm »
I didn't take these pictures because, like I said, I was too tired to pull my camera out and it was sort of rainy, but I did see these places.

First stop, right after we got off the tram (near the theater)...this very cool fountain. All the objects moved and twirled and the water was squirted out of hoses, poured out of ladles, drained through sieves, etc.

We walked for awhile and then came to the Rathaus (Red House) which is the city hall. In the square in front is the market (not there today though).

This is the Muenster (church) which is famous because...well, I'm not sure why it's famous. A Queen of Austria is buried in there along with a bunch of other people. We couldn't go in for a tour because the church service was just beginning.

The church is up high on the Pfalz (?) to the Rhine. I thought Pfalz was "falls" like waterfalls, but I didn't see any waterfalls! Just a long, long stairway down to the river which is where we got the funky ferry to go across the Rhine. On the other side we were in "little Basel" looking back at "big Basel" which was good because it oriented me to where I just been. Little Basel has some beautiful buildings right along the river with beautiful homes and apartments. My host and hostess assured me that they are *very* expensive but the bad part is that if you walk just a block or two away from the river, you get into a pretty seedy and dangerous area pretty fast. Naturally this is an issue because the folks spending all this money for their luxury apartments don't like not feeling safe if they want to go out for a walk in the evening.

Last this little restaurant...

which is notable because it has been around for ages. The seating is all communal at long tables and it is famous for "the mayor of the city and the man who cleans the streets being able to sit together and talk over dinner."

That's it for now!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!