Author Topic: Which Gay Character Would You Recommend as a Role Model?  (Read 8915 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Which Gay Character Would You Recommend as a Role Model?
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 09:29:32 am »
John Barrowman and the gay character he plays on Torchwood on BBC America: Capt. Jack Harkness.

"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 09:55:42 am »
          You know I have to say I am very irritated trying to answer this question.  The media reflecting
the greater society in general...They have given very little play to people that are gay.  The backward
slanted innuendos and slurs.  there have been so few people in the entertainment industry that have
been openly gay,  It has been very difficult to pick one.
           I think I will then choose the ones I am most familiar with, that has come out early on, and told
about themself...He is not a character such as a part..but a great role model nonetheless.
          The diver Greg Louganis!!
[youtube=425,350] 
[/youtube]

Beautiful mind

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 10:02:57 am »
It is an irritating question for the reasons you say, Janice.  The only negative role models I've been able to come up with are politicians.  Not that there aren't positive politican role models (Barney Frank from MA, for one) but probably not someone a teenager would be able to relate to ::).
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 01:42:38 pm »
Do non-Americans count, too?
Klaus Wowereit, mayor of Berlin.

(Wowereit is the one on the right, in the dark suit)

Here's an article about him in the New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/23/world/europe/23wowereit.html?ei=5090&en=fab18328b0dbeafe&ex=1316664000&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=all

When running for mayorship the first time, he said: “I’m gay, and it’s good that way.” In German, it has a better ring to it and it has become a famous quote. It's often used in complete other contexts, e.g. "Yes, I do like silent movies, and it's good that way."  :laugh:

injest

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 01:25:59 am »
Do non-Americans count, too?
Klaus Wowereit, mayor of Berlin.

(Wowereit is the one on the right, in the dark suit)

Here's an article about him in the New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/23/world/europe/23wowereit.html?ei=5090&en=fab18328b0dbeafe&ex=1316664000&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=all

When running for mayorship the first time, he said: “I’m gay, and it’s good that way.” In German, it has a better ring to it and it has become a famous quote. It's often used in complete other contexts, e.g. "Yes, I do like silent movies, and it's good that way."  :laugh:

how cool! I like that he was so open about his companion...hugging him like that! what a nice picture!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 01:06:41 pm »
The ECONOMIST MAGAZINE said he's (Berlin's mayor) a dapper dresser.  ;)

Somebody already said Neil Patrick Harris.  I admire him from coming out while he still has a career.  Not like Tab Hunter or others who come out to sell their book.

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 12:14:47 am »
At one time I would have said Reichen Lehmkuhl with absolutely no hesitation. And I may still say that. I'm just not as sure about him as I once was. In some ways he seems to have gone down the Hollywood lane, but he has also gotten a lot of bad press that may not be true. I certainly, without a doubt, would recommend his book. That book had a huge impact on me cause I could relate so well to him especially when he was growing up and discovering that he was different.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 01:33:59 am »
Lets try Dr. Smith from the 60's series "Lost in Space", he is a real hoot !

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2008, 07:29:48 pm »
"Dr Smith" LOL!   I loved Dr Smith.   I only got Lost in Space it in repeats in the early to mid 1970's.  I really liked "Will" alot. ;-)   He had so much adventure in his life, meeting aliens and all.

Guess he's a typical child star who didn't have much of a career in tv/film afterwards.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2008, 08:22:08 pm »
"Dr Smith" LOL!   I loved Dr Smith.   I only got Lost in Space it in repeats in the early to mid 1970's.  I really liked "Will" alot. ;-)   He had so much adventure in his life, meeting aliens and all.

Guess he's a typical child star who didn't have much of a career in tv/film afterwards.

Billy Mumy "Will" had an ongoing role on the "Babylon 5" TV series for a number of years. He grew up into a very good actor and I really enjoy his performances on "Babylon 5". A little bit of trivia : the theme music to "Lost in Space" was composed and conducted by John Williams (listed in the credits as Johnny Williams) who has much greater fame later with the Jaws and Star Wars movies.