Author Topic: David's Shutter Bug Club  (Read 502165 times)

injest

Re: David's Shutter Bug Club
« Reply #440 on: May 22, 2008, 11:29:28 pm »
Is that what it's called? A wildwood weed? I thought maybe it was marijuana! :laugh:

That one was turning yellow for some reason. Maybe a deer peed on it. There was a whole bunch of them growing down there. I sometimes see kids heading down to those woods, and after I saw these plants, I started wondering if that was the reason why they were going down there. :-\

Wildwood Weed is what we called marijuana when I was growing up....you remember that song "The Wildwood Weed"? It was funny...

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #441 on: May 23, 2008, 01:28:54 pm »
Wildwood Weed is what we called marijuana when I was growing up....you remember that song "The Wildwood Weed"? It was funny...

I knew what you meant Jess  ;D Yes I remember the song Wildwood Weed. Jim Stafford sang it. But I never knew you smoked that Jess  :o

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #442 on: May 23, 2008, 01:30:45 pm »
You have quite a collection of cameras Jack! Good for you! :D

Most of my pictures are taken with my Canon Powershot G9. I was happy to hear you also own a G9. Don't you LOVE that camera? Talk about a camera LOADED with features. Our G9s have just about everything, don't they? I only wished it had the infra-red night vision like my Sony F717. I've actually used my Sony to find my way around in the dark when the power goes out! lol

I also have a Canon A70, I bought several years ago. I was looking for a small camera I could carry around in my pocket. It is only a 3.2 mp camera, a far cry from the G9 which has 12.1 mp. I have four film cameras - a Kodak APS, a Canon Rebel SLR, and two medium format cameras which I used when I was a freelance photographer a few years back. I'm thinking about selling my Hasselblad because I don't use it too much anymore.

Anyway, I use my Canon G9 most of the time now. I love it. It's a fun camera to use and it's easy to carry around. I hate the neck strap though. I took it off, and I'm currently looking for a wrist strap that will fit it. The camera is much too small for a neck strap and it gets in the way when I'm shooting pictures, so I removed it and I don't use it anymore.

I'm glad we both have Canon G9s cause now I can ask you lots of questions. One thing I want to ask you about which would concern most all cameras. Is there a certain brand of memory card you would recommend?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #443 on: May 23, 2008, 02:42:08 pm »
I'm glad we both have Canon G9s cause now I can ask you lots of questions. One thing I want to ask you about which would concern most all cameras. Is there a certain brand of memory card you would recommend?

Well, it depends on what format you are using. The G9 accepts several different types of cards. I have a Sandisk 2 gb SD card in mine. It can hold lots of pictures - 377 12 mp, 567 8 mp, 773 5 mp, 1876 2 mp, and 6880 0.3 mp. It can even store 115 pictures in the Raw setting. I've found the camera's battery will run out before the card does! :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #444 on: May 23, 2008, 03:01:41 pm »
Well, it depends on what format you are using. The G9 accepts several different types of cards. I have a Sandisk 2 gb SD card in mine. It can hold lots of pictures - 377 12 mp, 567 8 mp, 773 5 mp, 1876 2 mp, and 6880 0.3 mp. It can even store 115 pictures in the Raw setting. I've found the camera's battery will run out before the card does! :D

Sandisk is typically the card I look for although I haven't quite figured out the difference between Sandisk and Sandisk Ultra. I think that is what they call it.

I have found that the battery runs out on all my cameras before the card does. I remember that I took my first Canon Digital Elph S110 on my first trip to NYC. This was a driving trip too and the main part of it was a conference at Princeton. Incidentally Princeton has beautiful buildings......everything is like a castle. Anyway, I was taking picture after picture there and in NYC. Luckily I had two batteries so I would end up going through both of them and had to recharge them every night. In NYC I was literally going through the streets snapping pictures of the buildings while moving and was unsure what I would get. I was with a group so they would not stop each time I wanted to take a picture (another thing I hate about travelling with a group). Many of those pictures came out GREAT!!! NYC has such great architecture it is hard to go wrong with various shots.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #445 on: May 23, 2008, 10:03:22 pm »
Sandisk is typically the card I look for although I haven't quite figured out the difference between Sandisk and Sandisk Ultra. I think that is what they call it.

I have found that the battery runs out on all my cameras before the card does. I remember that I took my first Canon Digital Elph S110 on my first trip to NYC. This was a driving trip too and the main part of it was a conference at Princeton. Incidentally Princeton has beautiful buildings......everything is like a castle. Anyway, I was taking picture after picture there and in NYC. Luckily I had two batteries so I would end up going through both of them and had to recharge them every night. In NYC I was literally going through the streets snapping pictures of the buildings while moving and was unsure what I would get. I was with a group so they would not stop each time I wanted to take a picture (another thing I hate about travelling with a group). Many of those pictures came out GREAT!!! NYC has such great architecture it is hard to go wrong with various shots.

Well for one thing, the "Ultra" cards allow the camera to record an image faster than on standard memory cards. The G9 is a very fast camera in its own right, and so I really don't see the need to use an ultra card, unless I was in a situation where very fast and rapid photo shooting was desired, such as a long day trip on a boat to take pictures of humpback whales. And since I don't plan on doing THAT anytime soon, I'm perfectly happy with my standard memory card.

Canon's Digic image processor is very fast, not only in accelerating the read/write speed of the camera to the card, but also in improving the picture's clarity, color accuracy and color balance. Camera functions such as lens focusing and zooming are also faster and more accurate. The battery life of the camera is also improved with the Digic processor.

I've been wondering what new features will be available on the G10, due to be released early this Fall. I've heard (through the grapevine) the camera will have image locking capabilites, meaning the camera will lock onto the subject, thereby producing a clear and well focused image no matter how much camera shake is present when the shutter button is depressed. I was very pleased with the new features found on the G9. In addition to the new features, it is obvious Canon was cashing in on its very popular and handsome G5 model, by reproducing the camera's good looks on the G7, which is virtually identical in looks to the G9 except for the screen size. I almost bought a G5 several years ago, but settled on the Sony F717 instead. Take a look at how similar in appearance the two cameras are to each other...

Canon Powershot G5:

Canon Powershot G9:

injest

« Reply #446 on: May 23, 2008, 10:04:23 pm »
I knew what you meant Jess  ;D Yes I remember the song Wildwood Weed. Jim Stafford sang it. But I never knew you smoked that Jess  :o

who MEE??? no way!! I am a GOOD girl!!

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #447 on: May 23, 2008, 10:15:27 pm »
You're right David. They look almost identical. So they are already coming out with the G10? Wow, they are fast!!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #448 on: May 23, 2008, 10:23:30 pm »
And just look how similar the G7 and G9 are to each other...

Here's the G9 again...

And here's the G7:

They may look very similar but Canon made several major improvements with the G9 - RAW file capability, more megapixels, improved face detection, improved image stablization and a larger LCD screen.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #449 on: May 23, 2008, 10:25:42 pm »
Normally Canon releases its new G model in August or early September. So, it should be making its appearance within the next 4 months. I'm anxious to see it. Hopefully Canon will provide us with some camera specs before then. :D