Author Topic: David's Shutter Bug Club  (Read 502736 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: David's Shutter Bug Club
« Reply #590 on: July 12, 2008, 08:25:35 am »
This one is not from today, but it's so cute I wanted to share it.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #591 on: July 12, 2008, 08:37:32 am »
Here's the fire-breather

He's blowing the fire downwards to set a torch on fire. In the background, you can see another torch, which he already set on fire before.

injest

« Reply #592 on: July 12, 2008, 03:08:11 pm »
Those are beautiful Jess! I love how the balloons are glowing too. I especially love the blue Allstate balloon. It looks really pretty all lit up like that. Will they let you ride in one of the balloons Jess? But you don't like heights do you?

Do you remember what camera settings you used? Your pictures turned out very well, and since they were taken at night people here would benefit from the information. :)

Please post some more pictures tomorrow. I LOVE balloons. They have a balloon race here in Indianapolis each year on the first day of the state fair. Many of the balloons float directly over my Dad's house. Since the race is normally during the weekend, I will make a point to go over to his house so I can see it. There are dozens and dozens of balloons up there during the race.

Thanks for posting the pictures Jess! It looks like a LOT of fun!! :D :D :D

You can pay for a ride in one....You not ME!!  :laugh: :laugh:

I used mostly the auto setting but what I changed THIS year is I used a tripod....the first year I didn't and I got like five good pics...this year most of my pics were ok!

I switched to the night view setting but didn't like it. It came out blurry because there was so much movement.

injest

« Reply #593 on: July 12, 2008, 03:08:47 pm »
Great pictures of the ballons, Jess :). I like the first picture of the last post best.
They remind me of photos I took while on vacation, of a fire-breather; I'll post them later.

But first, on David's request, some pics of my Mäxi, also called Maxschlumpf, which means Max-smurf :). I took them today when walking the dog.

what a nice dog.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #594 on: July 12, 2008, 03:51:48 pm »
Wow, what a dog !

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #595 on: July 12, 2008, 04:02:32 pm »
Great pictures of the ballons, Jess :). I like the first picture of the last post best.
They remind me of photos I took while on vacation, of a fire-breather; I'll post them later.

But first, on David's request, some pics of my Mäxi, also called Maxschlumpf, which means Max-smurf :). I took them today when walking the dog.

Awwww!!! :-*

There he is!!! :D

Maxi is SOOOOOOOOOOOO cute!! Thanks so much for posting the pictures of him Chrissi!

What breed or breeds is Maxi? He's such a cute dog. Do you let him sleep on your bed with you at night? :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #596 on: July 12, 2008, 04:13:30 pm »
You can pay for a ride in one....You not ME!!  :laugh: :laugh:

I used mostly the auto setting but what I changed THIS year is I used a tripod....the first year I didn't and I got like five good pics...this year most of my pics were ok!

I switched to the night view setting but didn't like it. It came out blurry because there was so much movement.

Yes, night photography is very tricky- especially if there is a lot of movement and activity. You might try this the next time you take a picture with lots of activity at night: switch you camera over to the manual mode. Then increase the ISO to maybe 200 or even 400 (this may produce a little noise in your pictures, but sometimes the noise is a good trade-off to eliminate the blur), and open up your aperture as wide as possible (probably f/2.2 or f/2.8 on your camera). This should allow you to set a faster shutter speed, at least one or two steps higher than the camera was using on the night scene mode. You might also try setting the exposure compensation a step or two towards the positive (+) side. :)

If your subject is 15 feet (5 meters) or closer, your camera's flash will definately help. If the subject is more than 15 feet away, be sure to turn your flash off, otherwise it will make your subject nearly impossible to see.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #597 on: July 12, 2008, 04:56:02 pm »
Thanks everybody.

What breed or breeds is Maxi? He's such a cute dog.
He is a German Shepard with something else mixed in, probably Labrador Retriever. But for the greatest part GSD; I always call him a 90% GSD :laugh:. Apart from his ears he looks like a GSD. But often people don't regocnize him as such because many people only know the black and red GSDs (or black and blonde, the ones with the famous black saddle), and they don't know the sable ones.
Here's a pic of a pure bred sable GSD. My Mäxi looks pretty much like this dog:

Do you let him sleep on your bed with you at night? :)

No. He's not allowed on the bed or sofa.
The best places (most comfy and on a higher level than the ground, for better surveillance) are reserved for the bosses of the pack. That's why I originally forbid him such places. He was a young, but already big dog (not a puppy) when we got him and I had a small child and a toddler at that time, so I wanted to make it very clear to this (then) foreign dog who's the boss in the house.
Meanwhile I long know he's not the type of dog with ambitions, but I also know how much hair he sheds :P. That's why he isn't allowed on the bed or sofa now.

injest

« Reply #598 on: July 13, 2008, 07:05:23 am »
well after getting up at 5:30 and driving all the way to Longview...

they CANCELLED the race cause the wind was blowing too hard...

>:( :P

so I went into the backyard to eat some worms!

they look really tasty don't they?

and I am not the only one that thought so....

(and yeah I know it is gross but I just couldn't help myself!! WHY do all these worms come up and die? The ground is covered in worm trails every morning!! Thank god for the ants or the ground would be squishy!)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

injest

« Reply #599 on: July 13, 2008, 07:07:43 am »
on the plus side we NEVER have to buy bait for fishing...