Author Topic: David's Shutter Bug Club  (Read 502805 times)

injest

Re: David's Shutter Bug Club
« Reply #600 on: July 13, 2008, 07:15:14 am »
I posted this in Artistes blog but I wanted to post them here too.

do you see??

it is a little frog. We have a wet spot up near one of our little outbuildings and there are a thousand of these little frogs, they are hard to sneak up on but this one stayed to have his pic taken. When they see you coming they all hop up into the leaves next to their little puddle....so many of them it sounds like rain hitting the leaves...

but! the reason why I am posting them is to remind everyone what David said about the macro option. When you use it, you will get better pics if you dont' zoom too much, I try not to zoom at all. I get as close as I can then let the macro lens do its job. The first picture I was not happy with but instead of zooming, I eased a bit closer for the second

of course this works better on flowers and other less 'jumpy'   subjects....before I got as close as I wanted to he hopped away.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 07:55:16 am by Penthesilea »

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #601 on: July 13, 2008, 08:01:19 am »
do you see??

(Sorry Jess.)

After messing up my first attempt to reply, I'll give it another shot ;D

It took me a while to see the frog. I thought the thingie in the middle was a leaf :laugh:.

And yeah, the worms ARE gross. Ewwwwwwww......................

injest

« Reply #602 on: July 13, 2008, 08:05:26 am »
(Sorry Jess.)

After messing up my first attempt to reply, I'll give it another shot ;D

It took me a while to see the frog. I thought the thingie in the middle was a leaf :laugh:.

And yeah, the worms ARE gross. Ewwwwwwww......................

you have no idea...they are EVERYWHERE in the morning..

I know I never go outside without shoes!  :P :P :P

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #603 on: July 13, 2008, 08:19:53 am »
you have no idea...they are EVERYWHERE in the morning..

I know I never go outside without shoes!  :P :P :P

Eww, ewww, eww  :P

I always thought of Texas as a hot and dry place. We see those earthworms only when it's raining (that's why they're called "Regenwürmer" = rainworms in German).

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #604 on: July 13, 2008, 08:30:18 am »

I always thought of Texas as a hot and dry place. We see those earthworms only when it's raining (that's why they're called "Regenwürmer" = rainworms in German).

I dont think I've ever seen a worm here in Florida!?

injest

« Reply #605 on: July 13, 2008, 08:32:01 am »

hot? DEFINITELY...up in the high 90s right now but we have a wide variety of land here in Texas. We drove to Florida one time, and from here to the Atlantic (half the country away) the land is almost the same..turn and drive WEST and in two hours you will leave the "piney woods" behind for the prairies in six hours you will find flat land and few trees (probably what you think of as Texas)

go south from me and you will run into coastal flatlands in less than three hours..

but this is part of my place:

(the part that is cleaned up for company! )  :laugh: :laugh:

injest

« Reply #606 on: July 13, 2008, 08:32:50 am »
I dont think I've ever seen a worm here in Florida!?

want me to send you a couple thousand??

;D

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #607 on: July 13, 2008, 08:36:53 am »
want me to send you a couple thousand??

;D

No Thank you  ;D

injest

« Reply #608 on: July 13, 2008, 08:44:02 am »
No Thank you  ;D

:laugh: :laugh:

but they are SQUISHY!! Think of the fun you would have!! the fish you could catch! The yucky stuff they leave on your fingers when you thread them on a hook!!

(ok forget that LAST part...)

;D

one time when my nieces were small they came over while we were digging up some water lines and we found these HUGE worms, they were at least 12 inches long.

the girls wanted to keep them as 'pets', insisted on taking them to the store with them "so they could go shopping" I asked where the worms were gonna carry their money.  :laugh: :laugh:

they said the worms WANTED to go...which I believe.. I am sure ALL worms dream of someday being lugged into a convenience store by a six year old.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #609 on: July 13, 2008, 02:45:26 pm »
hot? DEFINITELY...up in the high 90s right now but we have a wide variety of land here in Texas. We drove to Florida one time, and from here to the Atlantic (half the country away) the land is almost the same..turn and drive WEST and in two hours you will leave the "piney woods" behind for the prairies in six hours you will find flat land and few trees (probably what you think of as Texas)

go south from me and you will run into coastal flatlands in less than three hours..

but this is part of my place:

(the part that is cleaned up for company! )  :laugh: :laugh:

I've been to East Texas. Several times in fact. The part of East Texas I was in looked very much like Louisiana. There were lots and lots of bayous and swamps... cypress trees EVERYWHERE, moss hanging from the trees. Very Southern looking. It was extremely beautiful. :D

Jess you should cover those worms up with moist dirt so they don't dry up. Poor little things! :(

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.