Author Topic: David's Shutter Bug Club  (Read 502779 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: David's Shutter Bug Club
« Reply #660 on: July 27, 2008, 02:40:34 am »
Oh no! Don't move them Jess! Leave them right here! I LOVE kitty pictures. :D

Thanks for posting them!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #661 on: July 27, 2008, 02:41:05 am »
OH NO!! she is dead!

:-\ :(

just kidding! She was sleeping....you can tell our horses are very spooky cant' you? It is not many horses that will let you walk up to them while they are stretched out like that!!

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #662 on: July 27, 2008, 02:41:58 am »

this is my favorite mare with my favorite baby....

you know what goes in but you never know what is coming out....where the HECK did those spots come from??!! She can't be registered because of them. (we love her though)

Awwww!!!! :-* :-*

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #663 on: July 27, 2008, 02:43:24 am »
OH NO!! she is dead!

:-\ :(

just kidding! She was sleeping....you can tell our horses are very spooky cant' you? It is not many horses that will let you walk up to them while they are stretched out like that!!

:laugh: :laugh:

I think that is probably because they trust you so much! :D

injest

« Reply #664 on: July 27, 2008, 02:47:09 am »
I think that is probably because they trust you so much! :D

or maybe they are just lazy! Especially when it is 100 outside. It just isn't worth the effort to get up. I might make her work!  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #665 on: July 27, 2008, 02:49:43 am »
I forgot (again) to put the camera setting on my pictures I posted yesterday.

I used the auto setting cause I was being lazy!  :laugh: :laugh:

BUT! I did try this technique....

in my manual it said that if you are photographing a bright object (like a sunset) to focus your camera on another part of the sky and then turn to the sunset and take the picture.

to do that you have to learn how to feel your cameras 'halfstop'; practice gently pushing down your button until you can feel where it hesitates....that is your half stop. When you reach that point your camera evaluates the lighting and sets the controls. You can 'fake' out the camera's controls for different effects...

I used this technique to get this picture:

and it came out good I think...

but yesterday I tried it on the sky and look what happened!

it washed all out.. .so I am guessing that it only works when the bright objest is fairly small...

If you are having problems with your pictures becoming washed out, there are a couple of things you can try...

Try setting your white balance either to the "outdoors" setting, or try setting it manually using a white or gray card. Your camera's owner manual should tell you how to do this. It is generally different with each type of camera. Setting the white balance manually though will insure proper color balance and saturation.

You might also try bumping down the exposure compensation a notch or two... generally the exp. comp can be set up or down by a stop of 1/3. You might try 1/3 first and see what it looks like. If it is still too bright try another 1/3. Maybe that will help. :)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #666 on: July 28, 2008, 01:55:57 am »
I havent had a chance to look thru this thread yet, but I will, I bet I will see lots of lovely photos.

I just wanted to ask a question David, about rechargable batteries for our cameras.

Rob mentioned in Dev's blog that he tried them and they dont seem to last as long. Also he said, that he left them on charge overnight and it ruined the batteries.

I have always used rechargable batteries, but now I dont know if im ruining them by leaving them in the charger for days sometimes, before I use them.

Do you know much about them, or what the right way to charge them is? And do they have as much charge as normal batteries?
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #667 on: July 28, 2008, 02:30:14 am »
I havent had a chance to look thru this thread yet, but I will, I bet I will see lots of lovely photos.

I just wanted to ask a question David, about rechargable batteries for our cameras.

Rob mentioned in Dev's blog that he tried them and they dont seem to last as long. Also he said, that he left them on charge overnight and it ruined the batteries.
I have always used rechargable batteries, but now I dont know if im ruining them by leaving them in the charger for days sometimes, before I use them.

Do you know much about them, or what the right way to charge them is? And do they have as much charge as normal batteries?

The battery charger SHOULD automatically turn itself off after the batteries are charged. Perhaps this varies from brand to brand, but my chargers have always turned themselves off. If this isn't happening, then yes, it would be bad to leave them on the charger for days if the charger is not switching itself off. My Dad had this very same problem with his cell phone. He was in the habit of placing his cell phone on the charger each night before he went to bed. The charger was not turning itself off, and he quickly ran down his batteries.

Normally I wait until my camera battery is down to one line (there are three lines on the battery icon - three indicating a full charge) before I recharge them, unless I plan on taking many pictures with my camera the following day in which case I would need a fully charged battery. It is probably a bad idea to recharge your camera batteries every day, over and over again. Rechargable batteries do not last forever. Sooner or later they wear out. Even though the battery charger should switch itself off thus preventing the camera batteries from becoming over charged, sooner or later the batteries will have had enough and wear out. So, doing this short term probably wouldn't hurt anything (assuming the charger turns itself off automatically) but probably WILL hurt the batteries over an extended period of time.

You are probably better off waiting until your camera battery is nearly uncharged, unless you plan on some heavy usage the following day. :)

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #668 on: July 28, 2008, 03:36:34 am »
Thanks David.....Well i assume my charger turns itself off, it is only a new charger I bought with a set of batteries......when it is charging there is a red light and once they are chaged the light goes green.

I have one set of batteries in my camera, and one set on the charger, and only change them when they are run right down.

I think they are all working ok, but I thought it best to check with an "expert" to see if I was doing anything wrong.

Ok, now tomorrow, I am going to spend an hour or so, going thru this thread and looking at all the photos.

Thanks again...
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #669 on: July 28, 2008, 11:29:36 pm »

A pic of a bloom on my Crepe Myrtle tree this afternoon.  I used a setting that reads closer than 28cm.  What do you think?  Im going to try and get a better pic in a sunnier day of a purple bloom.