Author Topic: David's Shutter Bug Club  (Read 497126 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: David's Shutter Bug Club
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2008, 01:54:42 am »
Christmas Candles

Conditions: Dark, Candlelight
Camera Equipment: Canon PowerShot G9
Camera Mode: Manual
Aperture: f/2.8
Shutter Speed: 1/8
White Balance: Auto
Light Meter: Evaluative
Exposure Compensation Value: 0
ISO: 250
Flash: Off
Other: Optical Image Stabilization, Macro

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2008, 01:55:10 am »
well I cropped it...and saved it...but WHERE did I save it??

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2008, 01:59:39 am »
well I cropped it...and saved it...but WHERE did I save it??

Poor Jess!! :)

I have the same problem. With all these directories, and subdirectories, and sub SUB directories it's anyone's guess sometimes! :)

injest

« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2008, 02:04:55 am »
ok..cant' find that one...but this one has the same problem. They are both black...and you can't really see them! It was a cloudy day.

All the pics of the puppy were like this....just a black blob...

any suggestions?

Shooting Mode   Manual
My Colors Mode   Off
Tv (Shutter Speed)   1/1250
Av (Aperture Value)   3.5
ISO Speed   400

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2008, 02:23:29 am »
Cute puppies!!! :D

Awwww.... :-*

Your shutter speed and aperture is set correctly for an animal photo. Even though it was a cloudy day, you probably could have set your shutter speed a little slower. Generally 1/500 is fast enough to "freeze" the action of pets unless they are really romping around very quickly.

A couple of suggestions: try bumping up your exposure comp. I'm not sure how you originally had it set in this picture, but a couple of steps on the positive side (+ 1/3 to + 2/3) might help. Do you remember which light meter you used? It looks like you may have used Evaluative. I'm not sure though. Try using Spot next time. The Spot meter will only meter light on one specific area of the picture. When you set your camera to Spot, you will either see a little "+" sign or a small box on your camera's LCD monitor. Place the + or box directly over the puppy. Only the puppy will be metered. The drawback is the rest of your picture may appear too bright. If this happens, switch your light meter to Center Weight Average and make sure the puppies are in the center of the photo. Center Weight Average will meter the entire image, but places its emphasis on the center portion.

You might also try using your flash and setting it on low burst. Perhaps a bit of fill would help light him up a little.

Those would be my suggestions Jess.

injest

« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2008, 02:43:27 am »
cool that..thank you sir!

funny how he didn't come out but the cat did. Two animals that are the same color but different situations. There is a LOT to remember!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2008, 02:52:39 am »
You're welcome Jess! :)

Yes, it's a lot to remember, but you'll get the hang of it very soon. I'm happy to see you are using the manual mode sometimes. Many people are afriad of it, and I never understood why. I love having full control of the camera and setting things the way I like to.

Let me know how your next puppy picture turns out, okay?

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2008, 03:12:33 am »

Thank you for the wonderful advice, David. I'll print your list and keep it near.

I'm loving this thread and finding it so exciting. Loving it because I'm seeing some gorgeous pics (the candles from David and the puppies from Jess - it was the clarity of the autumn leaves that blew me away!) and excited about having a photography professional whose brain I can pick haha! I'm also excited at the prospect of acquiring a new artistic skill.  :D

I've been scouring my archives and have come across another couple of pics (only three, actually  :-\ ) that I'd like to share.

This one was cropped a little but is still somewhat large. It may be necessary to scroll, to see the full image.

It was taken from the same place as the sunset pic. Again late in the afternoon. There was a storm rolling in from the west (left of pic), when suddenly the sun broke through the clouds . . . .

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2008, 08:39:29 am »
Thank you for the wonderful advice, David. I'll print your list and keep it near.

I'm loving this thread and finding it so exciting. Loving it because I'm seeing some gorgeous pics (the candles from David and the puppies from Jess - it was the clarity of the autumn leaves that blew me away!) and excited about having a photography professional whose brain I can pick haha! I'm also excited at the prospect of acquiring a new artistic skill.  :D

I've been scouring my archives and have come across another couple of pics (only three, actually  :-\ ) that I'd like to share.

This one was cropped a little but is still somewhat large. It may be necessary to scroll, to see the full image.

It was taken from the same place as the sunset pic. Again late in the afternoon. There was a storm rolling in from the west (left of pic), when suddenly the sun broke through the clouds . . . .

OOOO!! I love shots of sunbeams!! (can you tell from some of mine?) That one is a VERY good one too..

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2008, 08:47:19 am »
OOOO!! I love shots of sunbeams!! (can you tell from some of mine?) That one is a VERY good one too..

Thank you kindly, Jess. I love sunbeams too. And rain. I love rain. The rain is moving across the horizon from L to R in this pic.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν