Author Topic: Gay subjects in movies??  (Read 20280 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Gay subjects in movies??
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2008, 09:31:48 am »
Doe his wife know?  ;D

No, it's a secret.  Don't tell ANYONE!!!!

(Maybe he changed his mind!!!  Or maybe I got that part of the story wrong?  Maybe Tom Cruise or Val Kilmer was gay?)
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline oilgun

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2008, 09:38:06 am »
No, it's a secret.  Don't tell ANYONE!!!!

(Maybe he changed his mind!!!  Or maybe I got that part of the story wrong?)

I had never heard about Tony Scott being gay so i checked IMDb and it says he's married (to a woman) and it also lists two previous marriages.

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2008, 09:42:04 am »
I had never heard about Tony Scott being gay so i checked IMDb and it says he's married (to a woman) and it also lists two previous marriages.

I will officially retract that part of the story...  Tony Scott must have been openly straight.  My mistake... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2008, 12:49:30 pm »
Why?

May I re-say that Sal had ONLY a pic of a famous actor inside his locker??

Why?

Wasn't that obvious to the audience??
 And placed there on purpose??

Hugs!!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2008, 01:06:09 pm »
The director of "Top Gun" is Tony Scott (brother to Ridley Scott), who is openly gay. who was widely rumored at he time to be gay.

[Edited to correct for factual content.  I've confused rumor with fact on this point.  My apologies.]

The widely told story of "Top Gun" is that after Tony Scott turned in his "final" cut, the studio wanted to add a couple of scenes to underscore the "heterosexuality" of Tom Cruise's character.  (The studio execs were reportedly aghast that with the all the shirtlessness and locker room scenes, the film looked like a gay softcore.) Kelly McGillis had already cut her hair for another movie, ("Witness" perhaps?) and so the added scenes were the elevator scene (she wears a hat), and the bedroom scene at the end (the gauzy fabric isn't just for romance, it's to keep you from figuring out that the hair she is wearing isn't entirely her own).

IMDb has a slight variation on the story...same idea, though.

# The love scene between Tom Cruise and Kelly McGillis was filmed after initial test screenings. Moviegoers complained that there was no love scene, so the company obliged. McGillis, however, had already dyed her hair darker for her next film. This is why the scene is tinted blue. Also noticeable as a subsequent shoot due to the longer length of Tom Cruise's hair (particularly in front).

# Like the love scene, the elevator scene (where Maverick and Charlie meet after Mav's workout) was filmed post-production. Kelly McGillis's hair had already been colored for another movie role, that is why she is wearing a hat. Tom Cruise's hair is longer in the shot, as well.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2008, 01:16:01 pm »
Well it played to a relatively conservative audience, so I supposed they figured they better put some "lipstick" on the film.   

I went with a group of hardcore straight college boys to see this film and even they noticed that they must have inserted those locker room and volleyball scenes in order to attract women to see the film.  ;D

Offline oilgun

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2008, 01:51:35 pm »
Why?

May I re-say that Sal had ONLY a pic of a famous actor inside his locker??

Why?

Wasn't that obvious to the audience??
 And placed there on purpose??

Hugs!!

Yes, I think it's obvious that Sal Mineo's character Plato is supposed to be gay in Rebel Without a Cause.  Does anyone remember who the actor is who's picture Plato has in his locker?

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2008, 01:59:05 pm »
Yes, I think it's obvious that Sal Mineo's character Plato is supposed to be gay in Rebel Without a Cause.  Does anyone remember who the actor is who's picture Plato has in his locker?

If memory serves (and a quick verification on IMDb...I'm right!)....Alan Ladd

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2008, 07:57:04 pm »
Thanks oilgun, than MaineWriter, and thanks to all too!!

Yes, I think too that it was Alan Ladd!!

Can someone find a pic of that locker pic?? Please.

But why? Because Alan Ladd was gay??

Or was it Sal's choice to add that?? Or somebody elses??

Can someone find out??

Hugs!!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2008, 08:15:00 pm »
According to this site, Alan Ladd was straight.

He was married twice and had three children with his second wife. He died of an overdose of drugs (1964).

http://www.nndb.com/people/517/000031424/