Author Topic: The Twist family studies the Gospel of John  (Read 114037 times)

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The Twist family studies the Gospel of John
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 01:46:34 pm »
:-X :-X

talk about busted!!

but if he was still chosen?
:D   Must not have been too bad ...

When Jesus and Nathaniel are first introduced, Jesus says "Behold, an Israelite in whom there is no guile!"

So maybe Jesus was genuinely congratulating Nathaniel for his piety under the fig tree... or maybe he was teasing him!    :laugh:

So odd that it's not really explained. You get the impression that everybody knew what really happened, so they didn't bother to write it down ...     ???   ::)
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

injest

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 01:56:22 pm »
:D   Must not have been too bad ...

When Jesus and Nathaniel are first introduced, Jesus says "Behold, an Israelite in whom there is no guile!"

So maybe Jesus was genuinely congratulating Nathaniel for his piety under the fig tree... or maybe he was teasing him!    :laugh:

So odd that it's not really explained. You get the impression that everybody knew what really happened, so they didn't bother to write it down ...     ???   ::)

*nodding*

yes, isn't there incidents like that in our daily lifes? we assume everyone understands but in a few years it is forgotten and people don't understand anymore what we are talking about.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 02:46:44 pm »

Well oh learned sir...i am afraid I will have to disagree with that one....certainly we dont think that
everything in the Bible is logical....?  Not to my way of thinking for sure...

Don't get me started......

Beautiful mind

Offline Wayne

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2008, 11:37:09 pm »
certainly we dont think that everything in the Bible is logical....?
No, you're right about that for sure !!!    ;)

OK well here we are in John 2 at the wedding in Cana. A mixed-sex wedding probably. Not that there's anything wrong with that.    ::)

So John (or whoever wrote John) says they run out of wine at the wedding party, and Jesus's mother points this out to him.

It's maybe sort of interesting that by the time John (or whoever wrote this) got around to writing this, Jesus's mother was living with him (John). Presumably it was she who told him this story. So this is one of the few things we hear from Mary herself about Jesus.

When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2008, 11:56:59 pm »
So Jesus tells some servants to fill six stone water jars -- the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons -- with water. Then he tells them to draw some out and take it to banquet. The master of the banquet is very impressed with the quality of the wine.

John notes (as Mary must be telling him) that this is Jesus's first "sign." So this event takes place very early in, maybe even before, Jesus's ministry. This is also one of few stories in John that take place up north in Galilee rather than in Judea.

Most of the rest of the stories in John seem to begin with "Jesus and his disciples were on their way to Jerusalem for the passover when all of a sudden ..."

To me this seems to suggest that the writer is somebody who only sees Jesus when he comes down to Jerusalem for the passover.    ???    Which would not be the apostle John, since he is with Jesus during all of Jesus's ministry in Galilee.  But I'll try to keep an open mind as we proceed !!     ;)

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2008, 12:03:51 am »
The very next event is Jesus throwing the money changers out of the temple.

Remember that in Mark, if this is the same occurrence of money-changer-out-throwing, this occurs during the last week before Jesus is killed.       ???

It could be that Jesus does this on at least 2 occasions when he is in Jerusalem for the passover during 2 different years. That's altogether possible, but for now that's not my gut feeling. To me, for now, it sounds like the writer of John has only about this moment gotten involved in Jesus's life.

Anyhow, Jesus th'ows em out!      :o

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2008, 12:09:05 am »
The authorities ask  "What miraculous sign can you show us to prove your authority to do all this?"

Jesus answers them, "Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days."

This eventually is one of the phrases used when Jesus is accused of blasphemy.  But the writer of John says that Jesus was talking not of the temple of stones but of his own body, implying that he would rise from the grave 3 days after being killed.

Don

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2008, 12:24:39 am »

I have always wondered about that seeming dicotomy.  Did he mean the actual stones and brick.  Or his
body temple.?    Was he a trickster, playing head games.?  Even under such dangerous circumstances.

Beautiful mind

Offline Wayne

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2008, 11:47:38 am »
dangerous circumstances.
:-\  Right, exactly ... in any case the authorities took it to mean the building, and used it in their case against him.  According to the gospel of Mark, he was crucified within less than a week after saying this.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2008, 07:56:10 pm »
In chapter 3, a Pharisee named Nicodemus comes to Jesus at night to leran more of his teachings. Jesus tells him that to see the kingdom of God you must be born again. Nicodemus takes this literally and is puzzled. How can a person go back to his mother's womb and be born again?

Don