Author Topic: The Twist family studies the Gospel of John  (Read 114141 times)

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The Twist family studies the Gospel of John
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2008, 07:27:19 pm »
He then goes on north home to Galilee. Many of the people of Galilee had also been in Judea and witnessed the recent events. They seem to be favorably impressed, and are asking for him to perform more miracles for them.

A man from Cana asks Jesus to heal his son who is mortally ill. Jesus seems annoyed that people will only believe in the principles he is teaching if he performs miracles for them

Just the same, he tells the man that his son back in Cana has been healed, and he can go home.

On the way home, the man meets servants coming toward him; it turns out his son was healed at exactly the hour that Jesus said he had been healed!     :o :D

Up to this point, still nothing about the gays!    ;)

And here endeth our reading of John chapter 4.     :)
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2008, 07:35:08 pm »
John 1 goes on to say Jesus recruits his first apostles at and soon after John's baptism ceremony.

One of them, Nathaniel, is impressed that Jesus had seen him under a fig tree. I don't see yet what this is about, but it seemed to be a big deal to Nathaniel. Any thoughts?

The fig tree sure does seem to occure frequently. I wonder why that is. Maybe it was just prevalent.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline fritzkep

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2008, 08:50:26 pm »
Don't have much to say here, but I am really enjoying the discussions in this and previous threads! Thanks, Widge!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2008, 09:44:56 am »
Do you think He-brew men drank a lot of beer?
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Wayne

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2008, 12:32:16 pm »
He-brew
:laugh: ;)  He Brew, the Manly Beer!!    :D

PS - oh! check it out  -- Messiah Bold !!   :laugh:

« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 04:57:44 pm by wdj »
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2008, 12:33:16 pm »
enjoying
:D    Yay!  Join in Fritzl  !!

Don

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2008, 12:53:10 pm »
Can we backtrack a little? I have a question about John 3:10. Is this the famous "whosoever" in the King James Bible??

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Wayne

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2008, 03:39:13 pm »
Tell us more Front Range!    :D     The famous whosoever?

I googled "whosoever" and guess what ... the first site that comes up ...

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2008, 05:01:48 pm »
OK here we are at John 5. Jesus is going to Jerusalem for a feast again. The minor point here is that whole communities of Galileans went to Jerusalem for feasts a lot.

The more intriguing point is that most of what the narrator of the gospel of "John" (whoever that person was) seems to know about Jesus concerns those times that Jesus was going to Jerusalem for feasts. So it seems that this person probably was not from Galilee but from Jerusalem or the nearby area.

So this make me think it was not the Apostle John, who was from Galilee.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2008, 05:08:47 pm »
Jesus heals a paralyzed man at the pool of Bethesda. One cool thing is that the twon of Bethesda, Maryland is named for Bethesda, and is the location of the US National Institutes of Health. Health is what the old Bethesda was all about - even though the description of it sounds superstitious. "from time to time an angel would come and stir the waters, and whoever stepped in the pool first would be healed of whatever illness or infirmity they had."

Another cool  thing is that the ruins of Bethesda can still be seen in Jerusalem. Here they are. The second one is being excavated. Looks like a long way down ...    ???

Don