Author Topic: The First Time I Saw Brokeback Mountain....  (Read 17219 times)

Scott6373

Re: The First Time I Saw Brokeback Mountain....
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 08:42:18 am »
I saw it the first weekend it opened, in a small theater in Cambridge, MA.  It was cold and lots of people were out and about shopping. I remember leaving the theater not quite knowing what I had just witnessed.  I snuck back 3 days later to watch it again.  This time I was alone.  I sat for a long time after it was done.  I knew what I had seen that time.

Odd that you should start this thread now.  I just watched it last night for the first time in well over a year.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 03:11:46 pm by Scott »

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 09:17:53 am »
I saw it the same day as Janice at the Grandin Theater in Roanoke, VA. It had opened there that afternoon and the place was packed with people. I went with two other people, one of whom I had to explain to the dozy embrace was a flash back.

When it got to the part where Jack told L.D. to "sit down you ole' son of a bitch", the whole theater applauded.

When it was over I was knumb, the next day I read the short story and went to the website for the film and posted a comment. It felt like something had been unblocked it me I didn't know was stalled.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 12:37:03 am by Shakestheground »
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 09:41:17 am »
Well, I saw the movie for the first time April 9th/10th (it started at 11pm) 2007.
My life has not been the same since. I will never forget that night.
My wife was out of town, my daughter was in bed. I was totally alone. after the ovie I felt evenmore alone.
I was so unprepared for the emotional backlash i would feel after seeing it.
Below is an excerpt from my first entry in my blog written a few days after viewing the movie and finding my way to Bettermost.

After seeing the movie for the first time 15 days ago I have been an emotional train wreck. I have seen an image of what my life might be like if I don't make some changes. I'm more like Ennis in that I can't accept my true nature and am so withdrawn from my true self that i can't trust any of my feelings. I have been living in a closet prison of my own construction.

Funny that, now I would say I'm more like Jack. I'm out and free and for the mosty paart still optimistic seeing the future in a better light. I have had a few setbacks but I am getting through them.
Im sending up a prayer of thanks for  Annie Prolux and the older Cowboy she witnessed in that Wyoming bar, Ang Lee, Heath, Jake  and the people they brought to life Our beloved boys Jack and Ennis. Most of all I'm thankful I found my way here and have made friends I will have for life!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 02:20:54 pm »

I saw the movie on a Tuesday night in early January '06.
Lost my appetite for days after that. Lost about 4 pounds because of it...lol.
Went back on the Friday after that.
And the Saturday following that.
And the Sunday after that.
Went online and joined the discussion in IMDB..
Was still  in a bit of a daze for weeks after that first day I saw it.  :)

moremojo

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 03:00:44 pm »
I first saw Brokeback Mountain on a very cold Saturday night on February 18, 2006. I had gone to see it accompanied by my mother and sister.

I remember while standing in line for the tickets seeing the poster for the rerelease of Michelangelo Antonioni's The Passenger, which I had never seen but really wanted to, and feeling torn between films. After seeing the life-changing Brokeback Mountain, I could barely even think about any other film for a long, long time.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 06:36:42 pm by moremojo »

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 07:35:29 pm »
The first time I saw Brokeback Mountain was Jan 6th 2006.   I was with my daughter and three of her friends.  I carried around the ticket stub in my purse for about a year then I stuck it in with my poster.   

I loved the movie and went to see it several times after again that, by myself, with my husband,  and wiith a gf.  But mostly alone.

I had no idea it would change my life so much but it has!  And I wouldnt change a thing.  J&E will be in my heart forever.

Offline nova20194

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 08:28:59 pm »

After several months of anticipation, I saw Brokeback Mountain the day it opened in Washington, DC, December 16 2005, at the Dupont Circle 5, a small "multiplex" in the Dupont Circle area of DC.  Dupont Circle has long been known as one of the gay neighborhoods in the DC area.  BTW, the Dupont Circle 5 theaters will be closing after this weekend.  I saw BBM alone on Friday afternoon Dec. 16 in a theater full of mostly gay men.  I remember many laughing when Alma saw Ennis and Jack kissing, but I didn't think it was funny.  After the movie, I met a few friends in the area for dinner.  They wanted to know about the film.  I was moved, but I had mixed feelings.  I knew I wouldn't be able to get it out of my head.  I told them that I liked it, and I knew I had to see it again, but I wasn't exactly sure what to say.  Two days later, Sunday morning, I went back to see it again.  Fortunately, I had bought a ticket on line, because BBM, which was showing every hour on the hour from 11:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m., was completely sold out for the entire day.

I watched it again, with the same type of audience (primarily gay).  While mostly quiet throughout the film, they found the scene where Alma sees Ennis and Jack kissing amusing once again.  The main reason I mention this is because I saw the film five more times in another theater with a more mixed/straight audience and I don't remember any laughter during that scene.  I was much more moved after this second time I saw BBM.  When I left the theater that day and walked down the street, I broke down in tears about a half a block from the theater.

I cried all the way home.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 09:09:44 pm »
J&E will be in my heart forever.

Amen friend! You can say that twice and mean it!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Br. Patrick

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "So what're we gonna do now?"
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2008, 09:23:16 am »
January 23rd will be my second anniversary of this life changing film~!  I came as prepared as I could as I had cried over the Short Story.   I never expected to have emotional 'whiteouts' where there was no sound and only white light.  That continued for my first 11 viewings when Alma cried at the Living room window when Ennis drives off with Jack after the four year reunion.  Never had experienced anything like before or since~!

{{{Cyberhugs}}}

br. p
Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road
In a world that may say that we're wrong.

...Cause I know - A love that will never grow old.

Gustavo Santaolalla & Bernie Taupin

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 09:41:09 pm »
I saw it December 10, 2005, the day after it opened in NYC, in a movie theater in Chelsea, a neighborhood known for being a gay mecca.  I was with three female friends I'd met online as fans of Lord of the Rings.  They were all writers of "slash" fiction in that fandom, and were atwitter at the prospect of a movie with A-list stars in a bonafide gay relationship (two of them had seen it twice the day before and were on their third viewing already).  I'd been rolling my eyes at them for a couple of months as they grew in anticipation of the opening of BBM.  I went along because I was interested, but also to be part of the in-crowd.

I'd read the story, unfortunately.  I'd love to have been surprised when Ennis found the shirts.  Nevertheless, I teared up at the end.  We went to brunch at the Rodeo Bar afterwards and talked for about 5 hours straight.

Well, of course it haunted me.  Months after my oh-so-enthusiastic friends had moved on, I was on IMDb and BetterMost, avidly discussing the film and forging new friendships.  It's funny, isn't it, how Fate singles you out and decrees "Thou shalt be a Brokie."   :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 11:19:10 pm by Meryl »
Ich bin ein Brokie...