Author Topic: Sunday Night Lament - Too much to watch!  (Read 7277 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Sunday Night Lament - Too much to watch!
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 01:08:51 pm »

I didn't know Persuasion started playing on Masterpiece theatre already. 

I have been eyeing the DVD on Amazon for a while now.  I think it was released 2 days ago or so.
I think I'm gonna pick-up a copy of it.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 02:30:25 pm »
I didn't know Persuasion started playing on Masterpiece theatre already. 

I have been eyeing the DVD on Amazon for a while now.  I think it was released 2 days ago or so.
I think I'm gonna pick-up a copy of it.

I hope you like it, Milli.  A Brit friend of mine has seen the new "Sense and Sensibility" and quite liked it, saying it was much like the Ang Lee movie.  She liked all the actors, except, being a big Alan Rickman fan, she missed him in the role of the Colonel.

I was watching Wednesday night and thinking I could see something Woodrow Call had in common with Ennis. Call could probably have had more happiness in his life if he had brought himself to marry Maggie Tilton, but he didn't.  :(

I know; I wonder what he was so afraid of.  :(

My main complaint about "Comanche Moon" was that it seemed to meander a lot to little purpose.   I was surprised to find out the same director did both "Lonesome Dove," which I loved, and this one.   As a kind of slice of life of Western life in that period, it was nice, but it lacked dramatic tension.  What were they trying to say---that life's a bitch and then you die?  I mean, neither love relationship worked out, Maggie died and Newt was left alone, Blue Duck never got caught and he even killed his pa, poor Pearl got raped and her husband killed himself---not the most cheering of sagas.  If it had more emotional resonance, it would have been more satisfying. ::)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 05:18:03 pm »
My main complaint about "Comanche Moon" was that it seemed to meander a lot to little purpose.   I was surprised to find out the same director did both "Lonesome Dove," which I loved, and this one.   As a kind of slice of life of Western life in that period, it was nice, but it lacked dramatic tension.  What were they trying to say---that life's a bitch and then you die?  I mean, neither love relationship worked out, Maggie died and Newt was left alone, Blue Duck never got caught and he even killed his pa, poor Pearl got raped and her husband killed himself---not the most cheering of sagas.  If it had more emotional resonance, it would have been more satisfying. ::)

Indeed. And Clara finally gave up on Gus just because Mrs. Scull made a fool out of him? (I have to admit I liked it when Gus slugged Mrs. Scull.  ;D )  And as for poor Maggie, I wanted to slug Woodrow. If his reason for not marrying her was his being a loner, I don't think we saw enough to establish that. Otherwise it was like he got the milk for free all those years, so he wouldn't buy the cow? And they had (have) parrots and jaguars in northern Mexico? And what was the significance of the title? I wonder if the book has anything to say about it?

I did like Karl Urban and Steve Zahn, though.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 05:30:20 pm »
I hope you like it, Milli.  A Brit friend of mine has seen the new "Sense and Sensibility" and quite liked it, saying it was much like the Ang Lee movie.  She liked all the actors, except, being a big Alan Rickman fan, she missed him in the role of the Colonel.

Oh, definitely! We've seen the mini series too. It was good, but I prefered the movie. The Colonel Brandon in the mini series was good, but Alan Rickman was so much better.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 08:54:55 pm »
And they had (have) parrots and jaguars in northern Mexico? And what was the significance of the title? I wonder if the book has anything to say about it?

I did like Karl Urban and Steve Zahn, though.

I was LOL when that parrot came out and attacked that guy!  Reminded me of the ferocious killer bunny in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.  And the jaguar was only slightly less hilarious.  I didn't see the first episode, so didn't hear about the prophecy or whatever, but that was another example of the director being out to lunch, I think.  ;D

I agree that Karl and Steve, and our own Cassie, were redeeming features.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2008, 11:19:30 pm »
Comanche Moon has Gus and Woodrow in it?  How does it fit in with the Lonesome Dove stories?

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 08:21:39 am »
I hope you'll be watching TAR tonight Meryl!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 01:03:49 pm »
I hope you'll be watching TAR tonight Meryl!!

I certainly will be, Kelda!   Now, if only the dratted football game cooperates and doesn't make it go past 9:00!  I'd like to see the beginning of the next Jane Austen feature on PBS: "Northanger Abbey".  At least two conflicting shows is better than four or five, though.  :P
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 06:03:54 pm »
Comanche Moon has Gus and Woodrow in it?  How does it fit in with the Lonesome Dove stories?

Comanche Moon is/was a prequel to Lonesome Dove (which I've never seen, BTW). It tells about Gus and Woodrow's lives in the period 1858--1865, although there is kind of a jump in there from maybe about 1859 to 1865.

Apparently they stayed home from the Civil War to fight the Indians.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.