Author Topic: [Announcement] Ignore Feature Returns  (Read 17462 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
[Announcement] Ignore Feature Returns
« on: January 15, 2008, 04:24:29 pm »
Residents will see a new button on the left hand side of the screen when reading messages in the forum.  This is the restoration of the "Ignore User" feature, which permits residents to skip past messages from individuals they choose not to interact with.  This was a feature on BetterMost before, but was removed during a software upgrade which didn't allow this feature to work properly.

There is a major change with this new version of this feature you should be aware of before choosing to using it:  any individual you choose to ignore will be notified that you have made this choice.  It will appear within the new control panel option each resident now can find inside of their Profile (on the left hand side). This can obviously create an uncomfortable situation, so until such notification can be either disabled or changed (if it's possible), you should utilize this feature judiciously.

Note: The crossed out section no longer applies.  A modification has been made to remove the ability of residents to see who is ignoring them.

Moderators and administrators cannot be ignored.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 04:17:36 pm by Phillip Dampier »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: [Announcement] Ignore Feature Returns
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 05:35:44 pm »
I find this sad: the usage of ignore as a button!

To me, moderators and you are there for that!!

I always thought and think still that one can get along, try to do so... if possible.
Otherwise, one reports or avoids that comment or person!!

Hugs!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 03:48:47 pm »
If you put someone on "Ignore," is there a way to "unignore" him or her at a later time?

Does the feature block out personal messages as well as posts on threads, or just posts?

Thanks!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 04:16:07 pm »
I have adjusted the ignore feature.  Residents who are ignored can be unignored at any time.  You can make adjustments from within the Ignore menu inside your Profile.

Also, I have changed the feature to remove the ability of residents to see who is ignoring them.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 04:21:05 pm »
Thanks, Phillip!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 07:01:32 pm »
I would expect to use this very rarely. 

However, it was very useful over at IMDb, and could be so here.  Especially for those rare members who are habitually annoying, way off-topic or otherwise offensive. 

Thanks, Phillip.

Offline Oregondoggie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 09:02:06 pm »
Hurrah!  This forum has great flexibility.  Greatly prefer its format to the one on the "other forum".

Sure is a relief to be able to weed out boring and repetitive yapping.  Churchill is supposed to have remarked that a fanatic is one who can't be persuaded and who won't change the subject.  Almost as deadly as a troll. 

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 12:29:55 pm »
I would expect to use this very rarely. 

However, it was very useful over at IMDb, and could be so here.  Especially for those rare members who are habitually annoying, way off-topic or otherwise offensive. 

A "temporary ignore" can be a very useful personal policy. That is, if you get into a heated discussion, putting the principals on ignore for a week or so can provide a useful cooling-off period.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 12:36:26 pm »
We should know the name of the member who has selected to ignore.

Since, it could even be a mistake... one does push buttons too quickly or wrongly at times; we all do!!

And for other reasons, surely! How can we correct oneself if we do not know if we did hurt and how??

Hugs!

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 12:44:19 pm »
The ignore function is all very good, but as soon as you,ve logged in, you can see the posts of the person you were trying to ignore.