Author Topic: Open Discussion of RPS Stories in Light of Heath's Death  (Read 56141 times)

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
Re: Open Discussion of RPS Stories in Light of Heath's Death
« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2008, 11:30:59 am »
This is a discussion not a lecture hour.

I never said it was. My opinion remains the same. It is wrong, IMO, to continue to write RPS about Heath and Jake having an affair, now that Heath is dead, and if you continue to do that, then it,s you who isn,t showing any respect. I,m not lecturing anyone, just giving my opinion. Like it or lump it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 12:48:54 pm by MaineWriter »

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2008, 11:32:28 am »
Yes and I felt that way when he was alive.

I just don't feel guilty for the things I read and write. I'm starting to think a little bit of this conversation is more about homophobia and less about the two people involved since sex is mentioned over and over and over again.

And I didn,t feel guilty for reading RPS whilst Heath was alive, but now, sadly he has gone, and it,s disrespectful to continue to write such stories about him, IMO.

Offline blacktears

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Hudson Heartbreak
« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2008, 11:33:40 am »
I never said it was. My opinion remains the same. It is wrong, IMO, to continue to write RPS about Heath and Jake having an affair, now that Heath is dead, and if you continue to do that, then it,s you who isn,t showing any respect. I,m not lecturing anyone, just giving my opinion. Like it or lump it.

Yes we've heard your opinion now about twenty times. We understand. Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts and words on this subject matter.

However you are still passing judgment, therefore, you are not simply stating an opinion.

Bottom line sweetheart, if you don't like it, don't read it.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 01:27:39 pm by louise van hine »
Proud Supporter, Writer, and Reader of RPS

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #113 on: February 02, 2008, 11:38:00 am »
Yes we've heard your opinion now about twenty times. We understand. Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts and words on this subject matter.

However you are still passing judgment, therefore, you are not simply stating an opinion.

Bottom line sweetheart, if you don't like it, don't read it.

Well "sweetheart", I,m glad you understand my opinion. I,m not passing judgement on anyone. I,m simply saying, for the 21st time, that IMO it is WRONG, to continue to write RPS about Heath and Jake now that Heath has died. I dont, really think that calling me un-intelligent is helpful to anyone is it? And as for showing respect, well I,m not the one writing RPS about Heath am I? If you or any other author continues to write it, well thats up to you and sadly theres nothing I can do about that..........sweetheart.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 01:28:36 pm by louise van hine »

Offline blacktears

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Hudson Heartbreak
« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2008, 11:40:28 am »
Well "sweetheart", I,m glad you understand my opinion. I,m not passing judgement on anyone. I,m simply saying, for the 21st time, that IMO it is WRONG, to continue to write RPS about Heath and Jake now that Heath has died. I dont, really think that calling me un-intelligent is helpful to anyone is it? And as for showing respect, well I,m not the one writing RPS about Heath am I? If you or any other author continues to write it, well thats up to you and sadly theres nothing I can do about that..........sweetheart.

You're right there is nothing you can do about it, please keep that in mind when RPS is posted. Your argument is limited to this forum.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts sweetheart.  :)
Proud Supporter, Writer, and Reader of RPS

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #115 on: February 02, 2008, 11:42:15 am »
You're right there is nothing you can do about it, please keep that in mind when RPS is posted. Your argument is limited to this forum.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts sweetheart.  :)

Oh I will. I hope you enjoy writing RPS about Heath now that he,s gone. I for one won,t be reading it. For the 22nd time, it,s disrespectful. Oh and I,ll share my thoughts any day, you can count on that,..........sweetheart.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #116 on: February 02, 2008, 11:44:21 am »
Folks,

Leslie the Moderator stepping in. I am going to lock this thread for the moment. I asked yesterday if we could keep this discussion civil, recognizing that it is one that inspires strong feelings. Reading some of the comments now, I am somewhat concerned about the lack of common courtesy. I want to think about what has been said here and determine if anything constitutes a personal attack. If so, those messages will be deleted.

After conferring with Louise, my co-moderator, I'll make the decision if this thread should be unlocked. I have had one request to delete it altogether, so I'll discuss that with Louise, too.

Thanks,

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #117 on: February 02, 2008, 01:03:18 pm »
Folks,

Update: I have unlocked the thread and modified messages which Louise and I have determined to be personal attacks. For the moment, we are going to give it a go to have a respectful, civil discussion on the topic of RPS. If things escalate once again, we may lock the thread permanently and perhaps even delete it. We'll cross that bridge if and when we come to it.

Please remember: this is a topic that generates heated opinions. I ask that everyone be respectful of others opinions, even if you don't agree with them. As I stated yesterday, the goal here is not to change someone's mind but rather, to clarify and illuminate what we believe, so that we might all learn from the discussion. If you can't or don't want to participate in that way, then I suggest you refrain from the conversation.

Also, our guiding rule here at Bettermost is no personal attacks. Please keep that in mind.

I'd like to remind everyone of a quote from Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx: They were respectful of each other’s opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Thanks,

Leslie
Moderator, Fanfic

Members,

This is an admittedly controversial topic. I opened it here because this is the only forum, perhaps other than Wranglers, that will allow for members expressing their own personal opinions about the issue of Heath's death and its effect on RPS stories without undue pressure or interference, and I believe that the ability to talk about how we feel now, considering our sadness about Heath - is an important element of the grieving and moving on process.  This forum allows for differing opinions - not everyone is going to agree.  And if you find that this thread is annoying to you, then please stay away from it, and if a member's posts are irritating you, please feel free to use the 'ignore' key.  However, stating that rps authors are under attack because a member finds the stories disrespectful to Heath's memory or his family, is taking things a little too personally.  No one here is making personal accusations about authors and I do not believe that any of us have stated, nor do we believe, that rps is a kind of 'malice aforethought' intended to upset people.  I would like to keep this thread open, if possible, and not deleted - because people have needed to talk about it.  In my case, it is the most emotional and most important issue affecting me in this fandom now that Heath has passed on.

Louise van Hine
Fanfic Moderator
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 01:18:28 pm by louise van hine »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #118 on: February 02, 2008, 01:21:01 pm »
No problem there, close minded people are abundant and I respect their right to be conservative.

That's fine.

But why waste your time reading if you're so against it?

Plus I guess you will have to keep that here since the mod of BBSlash has banned any harassment of RPS writers and yes the authors are aware of that and will report anyone who does such a thing. So save yourselves the trouble and keep 'discussing' things here is my advice.

I think it should be clarified here that BBSlash moderator made a post that was largely about urging people to get back to the purpose of BBSlash - which is not discussion.  No 'banning of harassers' occurred, nor were any messages removed to my knowledge.  But it is not a discussion forum, and she merely pointed out that RPS stories would continue to be welcome to be posted.  It has never been a discussion forum, but during the aftermath, discussions were opened - which is not what BBSlash is there for.  The policy did not change.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #119 on: February 02, 2008, 01:35:30 pm »
Yes and I felt that way when he was alive.

I just don't feel guilty for the things I read and write. I'm starting to think a little bit of this conversation is more about homophobia and less about the two people involved since sex is mentioned over and over and over again.

There is a big difference between finding fantasized sex stories about real people disgusting, and finding sex between members of the same sex disgusting.  There are a large number of gay men, some of whom have posted on this discussion, who are perfectly comfortable with gay sex but are horrified by real person sex stories, so this is in my opinion a false conclusion.  Sex is very personal, and in the mainstream, stories about sex are sensitive.  Sex stories about real people, when they are fictional, are EXTREMELY sensitive.  And also are in very deeply questionable legal territory.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”