Author Topic: Heath Ledger Film Festival - Saturday Events  (Read 39835 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Heath Ledger Film Festival - Saturday Events
« on: February 02, 2008, 01:43:34 pm »
Leslie (MaineWriter) and I live at opposite ends of the country, but we like to watch movies together, so we began to do what we call 'simulcasting', which is to watch a DVD at the same time, while we are on our computers and then discuss it afterwards.  We would like to open this entertaining alternative to the rest of Bettermost as a way of honoring the memory of Heath  Ledger by scheduling Simulcast DVD viewings for the entire forum.

We will announce a Heath Ledger film in advance, to give other members a chance to rent it, Netflix it or purchase it, and on successive Saturdays at 2 p.m. Eastern time, we will be viewing it, opening a thread for discussion of that movie.  If you like, view 'with us'!  Otherwise, if you get to view the movie at any time during that weekend, we will have an open discussion of the film.  I know I have only seen a total of 3 Heath Ledger movies and would like to branch out.

So starting February 16 we will start our Heath Ledger Film Festival with the early Australian film:  'Two Hands'  This should give people plenty of opportunity to buy or find it in Netflix.  11 a.m. Pacific time, 2 p.m. Eastern time, 8 p.m. Central European Time.  Please let us know what you think of the idea and please join us for the discussion each week starting February 16!!

Please let us know what you think of the Film Festival, whether you plan to join us and any other suggestions. This will also be announced in the Social Events Roundup.

louise van hine
MaineWriter
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline bec

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • myspace
Re: Heath Ledger Film Festival - Saturday Events
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 07:12:22 am »
I love this idea, and the choice of movie is great as well, Two hands was the fist movie i ever seen him in.

seeing as your starting with Two hands why not move on to the next one made 10 things i hate about you (or maybe they were the other way round)and from there watch them in order of release date. that way you can watch him grow as an actor and person and see how he changes over time.
I REALLY didn't describe that they way i wanted lacking in sleep and brain function at the moment  :) but i'm sure you kind of get what i'm saying. Hopefully ???
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 10:14:17 am by bec »
Why so serious..............It's all part of the plan...........lets put a smile on that face

yb

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 07:20:47 am »
I think this is a good idea.  But regrettably I can't participate due to time difference, in fact, I'm not sure if I could watch a Heath film yet.  Anyway, it's great to celebrate Heath in this way. 

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 09:02:27 am »
What a nice idea   :) . I work that evening but, since I own that movie it's no problem. In fact i own all movies up to I'm not here which isn't released on DVD yet.....I know, I'm addicted..... :laugh:
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 09:30:57 am »
What a nice idea   :) . I work that evening but, since I own that movie it's no problem. In fact i own all movies up to I'm not here which isn't released on DVD yet.....I know, I'm addicted..... :laugh:

We tried to pick a time that would work for about half the world, and we knew it would be hard for folks in Asia and Australia, unless they are insomniacs (sorry, yb!). But the idea is that not all viewing has to be synchronous. If you want to participate, sometime during the weekend of Feb 16, watch "Two Hands," and then post comments here in this thread.

Bec, I think your recommendation to watch "10 Things I Hate About You" on Feb 23rd is a fine idea.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 01:40:03 am »
I love the idea, but Saturdays at 11am are my husband's guitar rehearsals, so I'm on child duty.  I guess I could try to make those Saturday play dates into reality.  I do know that that first Saturday is an ixnay for me, due to a precious friend's third birthday party. 

I do intend to attempt asynchronous participation by ordering Two Hands from Blockbuster and watching it, maybe the night before or sumpn.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 02:34:04 am »
It looks like a lot of people may have the same idea.  I just put TWO HANDS in my Netflix queue and it's got a note that says there's a 'Short Wait.'  I'm glad that people are discovering or rediscovering Heath's movies.  I may not be able to participate in the simulcasting on a regular basis, but I'll try to make the discussions.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 09:41:52 am »
It looks like a lot of people may have the same idea.  I just put TWO HANDS in my Netflix queue and it's got a note that says there's a 'Short Wait.'  I'm glad that people are discovering or rediscovering Heath's movies.  I may not be able to participate in the simulcasting on a regular basis, but I'll try to make the discussions.

I put it in my queue a few days ago and it has gone from "short wait" to "long wait." Oh well, I still have more than a week. We'll see how it goes.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 10:44:30 am »
I can't find Two Hands online here.  :-\

I love the idea of a movie festival though. I'll keep checking this thread to see when I'll be able to join in.

I already have:
- BBM  ::)
- Casanova
- Candy
- Ned Kelly

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 11:09:40 am »
I think this is a really cool Idea Leslie and Louise.  I'd love to be in the club.  I haven't tried to rent any Heath Ledger films from Blockbuster because I just assumed they'd all be hard to get.  I do have A Knights Tale, Ten Things I hate about you, and Brokeback Mountain.  I have also seen Casanova in the theater when it came out..   I never even heard of Two Hands, but I would love to watch it.   The others will all be good to watch too.  Monster Ball, The Patriot and any other one of Heath's film..  I must admit I am a little leery about watching Candy, and was at the time it came out.  But I will try to keep up with this thread for sure..