Author Topic: Space Travel  (Read 19076 times)

injest

Space Travel
« on: February 08, 2008, 09:27:49 am »
NASA has a training camp in Utah that similates the Mars landscape. The trip takes almost 2 years?? Would you go? Would it make a difference if you were first?

or would you prefer to wait til it was done a few times so you feel more confident that you would make it?

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
Re: Space Travel
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 03:07:15 pm »
Nope

Life is not a dress rehearsal

moremojo

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 03:08:11 pm »
I can't even get on an airplane. I would never be able to handle space flight.

Dagi

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 03:17:30 pm »
No. There are still so many places left on this planet that I want to travel to. But maybe in another life!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 04:59:01 pm »
I'd like to go, but I heard a scientist, or a physicist (or something like that) say that everyone would have to be put into a state of "suspended animation", which is just one hair shy of actually being DEAD! Then, once the space ship approaches Mars, everyone would wake back up.

That makes me nervous. So, I don't think I'd probably do it.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 05:53:02 pm »
I see many people in suspended animation.  You should see how fast they come back to life at the end of their shift!   LOL    :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

Yup. I think we've all seen it!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 07:25:47 pm »
I see many people in suspended animation.  You should see how fast they come back to life at the end of their shift!   LOL    :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

injest

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 07:29:06 pm »
this morning on ABC they had a segment on the idea, which gave me the idea for the thread, they are doing experiments with people laying in bed to get an idea of how weightlessness would affect them?? that doesn't make sense to me...so maybe I heard it wrong..

anyway they were saying they are considering putting a centrifuge in the craft...you know one of those things that spin the astronauts around in training to similate the pressure of launch? they say that would similate gravity for the travelers.

I think it is cool and would like to go in theory but no way in real life!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 09:42:26 pm »
this morning on ABC they had a segment on the idea, which gave me the idea for the thread, they are doing experiments with people laying in bed to get an idea of how weightlessness would affect them?? that doesn't make sense to me...so maybe I heard it wrong..

anyway they were saying they are considering putting a centrifuge in the craft...you know one of those things that spin the astronauts around in training to similate the pressure of launch? they say that would similate gravity for the travelers.

I think it is cool and would like to go in theory but no way in real life!!

You don't need a centrifuge, you simply add spin to the spacecraft itself. This will simulate Earth gravity, and is necessary for long voyages. The types of voyages where suspended animation is necessary would be the interstellar type. Just journeying to Mars would not take so much time as to require freezer units. But, without breaking the light barrier (warp speed for Trekies like me) you need either multigenerational ships, or cryofreezers for the very, very long trips to even the nearest stars.

injest

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 10:03:22 pm »
with no guarantee of what you will find at the end...