Author Topic: Got A Forum Idea?  (Read 11068 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Got A Forum Idea?
« on: March 14, 2006, 05:19:32 pm »
If you have an idea for a forum that isn't on BetterMost that you would like to see, why not consider requesting one?  BetterMost is what the users make of it, and we have room to grow.  Being a moderator of a forum is as easy as launching new topics, helping keep the conversation going, and weeding out any messages that run contrary to our rules.

If you have a suggestion, feel free to drop me a line at [email protected] and I'll get back to you a.s.a.p.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline EnnisLovesJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Nasty love me!
Re: Got A Forum Idea?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 11:57:15 pm »
Hey Phillip. Great site, man! I really appreciate having a free, safe place to call home. Our own little Brokeback Mountain, far above the madding crowds and trolls. You've done some stellar work here, cowboy!
You may actually already have this feature, I haven;t had enough time to peruse and explore the site, but such is life soemtimes. Anyway, here's my idea: Can you install a feature that lets users save favorite threads in a folder or something for themselves, for reference, or to keep track of ones they don't have time to read but wanna save for later?

Thanks again for being our Harriet Tubman and leading Tremblayans and other IMDB refugees to brokie freedom!

keren/ELJ
Jack Nasty loves you!

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 05:27:30 pm »
Hey Phillip. Great site, man! I really appreciate having a free, safe place to call home. Our own little Brokeback Mountain, far above the madding crowds and trolls. You've done some stellar work here, cowboy!
You may actually already have this feature, I haven;t had enough time to peruse and explore the site, but such is life soemtimes. Anyway, here's my idea: Can you install a feature that lets users save favorite threads in a folder or something for themselves, for reference, or to keep track of ones they don't have time to read but wanna save for later?

I don't believe the software has a provision to let you do that, other than bookmarking threads in your own browser.  Be aware that unlike IMDb, I have no policy to delete old messages at this time, so what you do see here today you will see here tomorrow, next week, month, etc.  We have plenty of disk space.  Each thread on here has its own unique URL, so you can bookmark threads and revisit them no matter how old.  As to saving them on your own machine, I am not personally aware of software to do that, but perhaps some others here can offer suggestions.

Thanks!
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

TJ

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 04:55:21 pm »
My idea would have a segment, or whatever it would be called, where the discussions would be on Annie Proulx's original short story as copyrighted by Dead Line, Ltd. in 1997. That's what was published in "Close Range" and in the stand-alone Brokeback Mountain paperback book I have.

As a "stand-alone" movie and pretending Annie Proulx never wrote the story, I would say that the movie is one of the best movies I have ever seen.

But, without Annie Proulx's short story in the first place, there would have been no movie with her characters in it.

I see some things in the movie that were never in any version of the short story (not even the New Yorker Magazine version) and some things that never even made the movie in the story which I consider important to the story.

Offline EnnisLovesJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Nasty love me!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 09:57:01 pm »

I don't believe the software has a provision to let you do that, other than bookmarking threads in your own browser.  Be aware that unlike IMDb, I have no policy to delete old messages at this time, so what you do see here today you will see here tomorrow, next week, month, etc.  We have plenty of disk space.  Each thread on here has its own unique URL, so you can bookmark threads and revisit them no matter how old.  As to saving them on your own machine, I am not personally aware of software to do that, but perhaps some others here can offer suggestions.

Thanks!

Thanks, Phillip! I have started emailing myself links to topics that I don't have the time to read on the spot, but which I want to read eventually. I
ve also taken advantage of the awesome "sent topic" feature. And props on creating the buttons that insta-click the code for quoting and inserting URL links. Saves time, energy, and makes posting so much simpler and easier. You've really done a great job with this site. Bravo!

Keren aka ELJ
Jack Nasty loves you!

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
a couple of questions and a couple of suggesstions
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 09:51:09 pm »
what's the "sent topic" feature? I must admit, I have not gotten familiar with everything here.

Also, people tell me you can set it up to receive an email if someone replies to your post, but so far I have only seen that available as a feature if you check the box for it in each post you write, under 'additional options' in the posting section. Any way to make it a default feature?

Finally, is there any way you could make the font/typeface bigger or bolder in the front page of each forum, i.e the titles of the topics? I find that that, along with more empty space across the title pages of each board/forum, make IMDb feel more spacious and user friendly somehow. Even if it were possible to just narrow down the colum for the names of topic originators, it might help to make the board feel more roomy.

Thanks for considering these suggestions Phillip. As you hopefully know, I love this place and I don't know what I'd be doing without you.

Jenny
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 10:03:55 pm »
My idea would have a segment, or whatever it would be called, where the discussions would be on Annie Proulx's original short story as copyrighted by Dead Line, Ltd. in 1997. That's what was published in "Close Range" and in the stand-alone Brokeback Mountain paperback book I have.

As a "stand-alone" movie and pretending Annie Proulx never wrote the story, I would say that the movie is one of the best movies I have ever seen.

But, without Annie Proulx's short story in the first place, there would have been no movie with her characters in it.

I see some things in the movie that were never in any version of the short story (not even the New Yorker Magazine version) and some things that never even made the movie in the story which I consider important to the story.
TJ
Out on IMDb BBM, I had similar threads, that I intend to recreate over here soon. They were/will be called "Great lines from the book that DID make it to film" & "Great lines from the book that DIDN'T make it to film"

I'm trying not to overload the forum where my threads can be found with too much at once.

Roland
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: a couple of questions and a couple of suggesstions
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 10:57:00 pm »
what's the "sent topic" feature? I must admit, I have not gotten familiar with everything here.

Also, people tell me you can set it up to receive an email if someone replies to your post, but so far I have only seen that available as a feature if you check the box for it in each post you write, under 'additional options' in the posting section. Any way to make it a default feature?

Finally, is there any way you could make the font/typeface bigger or bolder in the front page of each forum, i.e the titles of the topics? I find that that, along with more empty space across the title pages of each board/forum, make IMDb feel more spacious and user friendly somehow. Even if it were possible to just narrow down the colum for the names of topic originators, it might help to make the board feel more roomy.

Thanks for considering these suggestions Phillip. As you hopefully know, I love this place and I don't know what I'd be doing without you.

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

When reading a topic, there is a button center right entitled 'Send Topic' which will let you send a link to a topic to an email address.  Sometimes I use it to mail something to myself.  Also you can mark a topic unread so you can find it later by choosing 'Select Unread Topics' from your user info at the top of the forum page.

If you select your profie, to the left there is a link to something like 'Email Notifications and Settings'.  Here you can check several options related to receiving email in response to topics you start or post.

Sorry, but I do not know anything about setting forum font size preferences.

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 11:09:18 pm »
I have a couple of ideas that have been percolating, so I thought I would post them here to see if there is any interest.

One is that I think as we grow, Movie Resources could be subdivided into a few different sections to make things easier to find.  Perhaps something like "Brokeback Mountain/Reviews and Commentary" and "Cast, Crew, and Other Projects" and "General Interest"?

Another idea, and this may be macabre, but the idea has stuck with me for > 1 week so I'm writing it to get it off my mind:  I notice that there are a several people who have been brave enough to discuss the deaths of people close to them - Nancy and Gay come to mind immediately, but I believe I've read about others too.  What do you guys think of an 'In Memoriam'-type thread for specific posts like this to both honor these memories and so that they don't get lost in the shuffle as things become busier and harder to manage.

That's all for now - all feedback welcome, of course.
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

TJ

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 11:49:11 am »
I would like to see something like a "Brokeback Mountain Book Review and Commentary" in a forum type set-up.

While I know other forum members and I do that on our own in other places on BetterMost, I think to have the topic as a major area of discussion would be interesting.

I do think that the forums broadband space would be helped if a lot of the overlapping subjects of discussion were merged even more to save costly space. I do think the moderations are doing a tremendous job in that area as much as possible.