Author Topic: "The Queen's Gambit," a discussion ***Possible Spoilers***  (Read 25388 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: "The Queen's Gambit," a discussion
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 01:18:51 pm »
Hi, I'm Marie - does loving all things Heath Ledger make me a Heathen?  Then I guess I am  :)

I'm re-reading the book and I'm at the end of Chapter 13; I'll finish it today for sure. 

Walter Tevis is also the author of The Hustler and The Color of Money--books that I haven't read but I've seen both movies and they are good. They are about pool. I wonder if those books are similar to this--taking a "sport" that on the surface seems sort of boring and turn it into a terrific read? Interesting.

Leslie, I thought of this, too.  And I also thought of the idea that both chess and pool have geometric aspects to them.  In both sports, a really good player needs to be able envision relationships of points, lines and angles and the arrangement of objects (something I've never been especially good at). 

I'm not a chess player, but, for some reason, I still found the detailed descriptions of the moves interesting. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 02:50:33 pm »
Walter Tevis is also the author of The Hustler and The Color of Money--books that I haven't read but I've seen both movies and they are good. They are about pool. I wonder if those books are similar to this--taking a "sport" that on the surface seems sort of boring and turn it into a terrific read? Interesting.

He also wrote The Man Who Fell to Earth. Wasn't that made into a movie with David Bowie? (working from memory here....)

This is completely off topic, but has there been any talk of someone else making this into a movie? If two or three of his books are already movies, maybe someone else will want to do this one.

I was just thinkin out loud...

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 04:53:57 pm »
Hey everyone! I'd love to join in the discussion, but the book hasn't arrived yet.

'Delivery has been delayed' apparently. :-\
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 06:17:19 pm »
I finished The Queen's Gambit this morning on the trip home, so I am ready to discuss it whenever everyone catches up.

Since I knew I would finish the book before I finished my trip, I stopped at the airport newsstand to find pick up something else to read (foolishly, I forgot to bring Atonement with me). I bought "21: Bringing Down the House" which is "the inside story of six MIT students who took Vegas for millions." They play blackjack and this book makes counting cards as exciting as Tevis made descriptions of chess moves! It is non-fiction but still is a fast paced and fun read, so I recommend it. Written by Ben Mezrich.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 04:08:08 am »
Do any of you think it would be worth having a sub-forum just for this?  We could have a thread about Beth, and threads about whatever?

Or should we just jump in and go?  Though I started the thread, I don't see myself as a clear-minded leader on this at all.  Mikaela, maybe you ought to lead?  If we need a leader?  I want to be supportive of the discussion, but don't know how.  Anyway, sub-forum, or is that not necessary?

Also, a topic I want us to discuss is which character we think Heath wanted to play?  First one character came along that I assumed he would play, but then later another, more lasting character seemed more likely.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 07:33:16 am »
I don't think we need a subforum, myself. I don't want to make it more complicated than it needs to be.

As for Heath, thinking it through, I think he'd play Benny Watts. Other ideas?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 02:07:15 pm »

L

Yes, Benny Watts is who came to my mind - but I suppose he could've also played Townes. 

God, that "could've" just sent a pang through my heart. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 04:35:19 pm »
I don't think we need a subforum, myself. I don't want to make it more complicated than it needs to be.

L

Agreed about the subforum. I don't think it's necessary.

I think you're probably right about Benny Watts, but who I'd really have liked to see Heath play: Borgov.

Yes I would.

Granted, the description of the man's look is nothing like Heath, but then again, Heath wasn't cave-chested with a broken nose either...

Seriously, I think he would have played that forceful, legendary, enigmatic, intense, self-assured, overpowering  Russian presence so well! Could have given lots of nuances to a character who excuded self-confidence and strength and who never gave much away to his spectators. I'd have loved to have seen that.

I'm tired of typing "could have been". That never gets easier...  :'(

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 05:11:40 pm »
I picture Borgov as very dark...how about Eric Bana for that role?

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 11:33:50 pm »

Granted, the description of the man's look is nothing like Heath, but then again, Heath wasn't cave-chested with a broken nose either...

Thanks for the smile that gave me, Mikaela.

What if he played  - oh I don't have my copy here - the man who taught her chess, the janitor.  That was maybe the most nuanced male part, and the most silent.