Author Topic: New Greenlea Tale: The Grey Girls  (Read 173688 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: New Greenlea Tale: The Grey Girls
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2008, 11:01:03 pm »
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2008, 09:00:51 am »
SPOILERS

Aww..this is was wrenching, Louise.  Poor Pam.

Her sister was curled up next to Socks, the stall door still slightly ajar, a tissue pressed against her nose, her once violent sobs now quiet and occasional, one hand stroking the silken neck of the old mare, whose eyes were half closed, dozing lightly

Finding comfort in horses, just like her Daddy.  Heartbreaking how much her mother's terrible words have hurt Pam.  Right now Laura is understandably the "dried up old hag" in their eyes - and their Daddy is the Knight in Shining Armor.   But I do wonder, the longer they stay in Tourmaline, the more time they spend with Daddy and the more distance they have from their mother....will the line begin to blur somewhat between "bad parent" and "good parent"?

“That’s why God made us twins, Pam,” Katie whispered against her sister’s ear. “So we’d never have ta be alone.”

Lovely and touching.  Terrific writing, as always, Louise.

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2008, 02:10:43 pm »
I agree Marie.

The choice of words Katie Ann uses to describe her mother shows how the black-and-white vision she's been confronted with at home with her mother has influenced her.

One things sure, the girls couldn't be at a better place than the ranch right now. Wes and Edna have a tough job on their hands, but nothing they can't handle I'm sure.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2008, 12:55:31 am »
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2008, 07:48:03 am »
SPOILERS

“Is this about what happened? Oh sweetheart,” Edna said, giving Pam a quick hug

Aww...a bittersweet moment, because that's the love and comfort Pam should be getting from her mother.  Sigh.  How many times have we thought "Thank God for Edna?"

“Intimidation value,” Edna said, and gave Pam a wink. “It’s worked on quite a few lunatic situations over the years, you’ll be surprised how much respect Wesley can eke out a that uniform an hat.”

Considering how intimidated Laura was the one time she spoke to Wes over the phone, it's probably not necessary - but it is good to see that they are pulling out all the stops to ensure things don't get any more out of hand than they already are. 

I know better than to even try and predict what will happen next! ;)

Thanks, Louise!
Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2008, 05:47:17 pm »
I try not to predict what is about to happen either!  Mainly because I can't!!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2008, 12:54:50 am »

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2008, 03:38:32 am »
and... chapter 7!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/258358.html

Once again, I feel very bad for Laura. Someone should show her a bit of sympathy. I hope Edna does (after she knocks some common sense into Laura and Colson too of course).

Colson's anwer to Laura was/is running away, he wants her to run away now too. He gave the same message to his girls, thinking that all will be well as long as they're not around their mother anymore. I'm giving Laura credit for sticking around. They can't keep doing this, with all the hurt and anger between all four of them.

And I have to say Ellery is handling this well.

I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

Thanks Louise!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2008, 09:00:28 am »

Once again, I feel very bad for Laura. Someone should show her a bit of sympathy. I hope Edna does (after she knocks some common sense into Laura and Colson too of course).

Colson's anwer to Laura was/is running away, he wants her to run away now too. He gave the same message to his girls, thinking that all will be well as long as they're not around their mother anymore. I'm giving Laura credit for sticking around. They can't keep doing this, with all the hurt and anger between all four of them.

Thanks Louise!

Perfectly stated, Fabienne!  It's not an either/or situation.  Ellery and Colson's dialogue is so realistic - it's exactly how people talk, which is probably why some of their word choices made me sad.  But as much as I deplore Laura's attitude and words to Pam, and as sorry as I feel for Pam (and Katie Ann) - I can't help but feel so bad for Laura, too. 

And you're spot on about the "running away" - the fact that the thought of having Laura arrested popped pretty quickly into both Colson's and Pam's minds is indicative of that, I think.  Pam is young and hurt and scared and I don't blame her.  But it's a pretty immature attitude on Colson's part.  Ellery is handling it well - but, frankly, he should be.  He has a devoted and loving husband, more money than he knows what to do with, not to mention the fact that they're on his turf where he has all the power, influence and authority. 

Yes, there is an awful lot of hurt and anger among all four of them - festering for years -  and they can't just keep ignoring it. 

Great job, Louise - thanks!
Marie

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2008, 01:44:00 pm »

Thanks Louise!

Show Laura sympathy? What for? Pam is the one whose been raped here, and Laura,s behaviour is nothing short of disgusting. I appreciate she,s still angry with Colson but now really isn,t the time to worry about that is it. Her daughter needs her mum, now more than ever, and all Laura can do is blame poor Pam!! Unbeleivable. Yes Colson encouraged the girls to run away and come to Tourmaline, (think I spelt that right) but I,m not surprised. She,s not showing her any sympathy is she. It,s no wonder she turned to her dad. Yes Ellery is handling this very well, but then he,s a trained police officer, he deals with this kind of thing all the time. Again yes I understand there is still a lot of bitterness between Laura and Colson, and maybe they need to sit down and talk about it like two adults without Laura throwing a hissy fit. Right now the important one is Pam. Thank God for Edna.