Author Topic: Jack's "Hippie" Songs  (Read 33814 times)

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Jack's "Hippie" Songs
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2008, 02:54:29 pm »
And for dedications, yes I take dedications, this is one of the BEST songs that has ever been made. I'm sure I have said this many times on here, but one of my biggest dreams since I was a little kid was to visit California. Everybody always said I was making a bigger deal out of it than it was. In fact many said I would be very disappointed. Well last September I finally made it to San Francisco and I loved it as much as I always thought I would. I hope to make it to Los Angeles this summer and hopefully back to San Francisco too. One day I hope to live in California. This song and the song San Francisco have the feeling to them that had always been to me what California would feel like and it did. So here is:

California Dreamin' by The Mamas and the Papas

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY9EXSDYd9o&feature=related[/youtube]

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2008, 02:56:24 pm »
And Katie already posted the lyrics to this one too  :)

San Francisco by Scott McKenzie

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKWiwfOhI6U[/youtube]

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2008, 06:51:09 pm »
OH Jack, what a trip down memory lane those clips were. I felt like a 16yr old again.

I have not seen the clips before but have the songs downloaded from Limewire. I made myself a CD of just all those 60's songs, and when I sit back and play it, I drift back to my youth and carefree days, in an instant.

I received this link a while back which give you music songs from 1950-1984.....pick a year, click on a song, and the songs will play in the background on your puter while you are doing other stuff...Just click on one song, and the rest will play radomly and automatically.

http://www.tropicalglen.com/index.html
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2008, 08:13:46 pm »
I remember hearing many of these songs when I was little, but I was too little to ever be a real hippie or truly understand what was happening. This thread is proving to be real interesting to me because I am now getting more of a sense of what these songs were saying, what they meant. When I started the thread it was kind of a reply to Gary when I posted a song from the 60s on his thread. I always have liked the sound of the music from that period of time, but I am developing a deeper understanding now. It is also interesting to compare this music to my other thread where I am posting early dance "disco" music right now. When you think that there really aren't that many years between the two it becomes very interesting. It seems that things went from kind of a peaceful "wild" to completely wild in what was really a short time span.

And here's another request that was made and another song I was not real familar with, but had heard of. It has in fact been remade by several other groups including Audioslave. The title is:

Shape Of Things To Come by Max Frost and the Troopers

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTRNly1UiOw[/youtube]

And the lyrics are:

There's a new sun
Risin' up angry in the sky
And there's a new voice
Sayin' "we're not afraid to die"
Let the old world make believe
It's blind and deaf and dumb
But nothing can change the shape of things to come

There are changes
Lyin' ahead in every road
And there are new thoughts
Ready and waiting to explode
When tomorrow is today
The bells may toll for some
But nothing can change the shape of things to come

The future's comin' in, now
Sweet and strong
Ain't no-one gonna hold it back for long

There are new dreams
Crowdin' out old realities
There's revolution
Sweepin' in like a fresh new breeze
Let the old world make believe
It's blind and deaf and dumb
(But) nothing can change the shape of things [4X]
To come

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2008, 08:16:45 pm »
OH Jack, what a trip down memory lane those clips were. I felt like a 16yr old again.

I have not seen the clips before but have the songs downloaded from Limewire. I made myself a CD of just all those 60's songs, and when I sit back and play it, I drift back to my youth and carefree days, in an instant.

I received this link a while back which give you music songs from 1950-1984.....pick a year, click on a song, and the songs will play in the background on your puter while you are doing other stuff...Just click on one song, and the rest will play radomly and automatically.

http://www.tropicalglen.com/index.html

Thanks Katie!!! I will definitely check this link out. I'm glad you are liking the thread and I'm glad you are contributing to it too. I would love to hear the CD you made. I bet it is great. There is definitely a good feel to the music.

Jack

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2008, 08:49:50 pm »
I remember hearing many of these songs when I was little, but I was too little to ever be a real hippie or truly understand what was happening. This thread is proving to be real interesting to me because I am now getting more of a sense of what these songs were saying, what they meant. When I started the thread it was kind of a reply to Gary when I posted a song from the 60s on his thread. I always have liked the sound of the music from that period of time, but I am developing a deeper understanding now. It is also interesting to compare this music to my other thread where I am posting early dance "disco" music right now. When you think that there really aren't that many years between the two it becomes very interesting. It seems that things went from kind of a peaceful "wild" to completely wild in what was really a short time span.

Yes the sixties were very different from the two decades before and after....We had rock n roll in the 50's and then disco in the 70's, but the 60's was different....it seemed we just wanted some peace.The youth of the day were faced with the Vietnam war as well as the assasinations of the Kennedys, and Martin Luther King, and they seemed to be asking "why is all this happening?". The music was more about the words than how good it was to dance to.

Remembering the Kennedys and King....heres a very poignant song about them.Simple words, with a message.

Abraham, Martin and John....by Dion

Has anybody here seen my old friend Abraham,
Can you tell me where he's gone?
He freed a lotta people, but it seems the good die young
But I just looked around and he's gone. 

Has anybody here seen my old friend John,

Has anybody here seen my old friend Martin,

Didn't you love the things they stood for?
Didn't they try to find some good for you and me?
And we'll be free,
Someday soon it's gonna be one day.

Has anybody here seen my old friend Bobby,
I thought I saw him walkin' up over the hill
With Abraham, Martin and John.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2008, 10:38:43 pm »
Yes you are right. The music wasn't about whether it was good to dance to or it had a good beat. It was all about what was being said. Wonderful song Katie and I found a video of it. Here it is:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuIMeHv9aHU[/youtube]

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2008, 10:15:54 pm »
Magic Carpet Ride by Steppenwolf

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcSxgOxjrT8&feature=related[/youtube]

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2008, 10:22:31 pm »

Jouney To The Center Of The Mind by The Amboy Dukes

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN2VNFpiGWo[/youtube]

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2008, 10:26:18 pm »

Pictures of Matchstick Men by Status Quo

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr5UouAts8o[/youtube]