Author Topic: funny thing about husbands. (jack and laureen's marriage)  (Read 5225 times)

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: funny thing about husbands. (jack and laureen's marriage)
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 09:09:07 am »
That was my point.  Weren't the screenwriters "implying something deeper" with every line of this film?  The looking nice when their husbands proposed sex when they got home was just my humble interpretation.  I don't think it was as simple as that they had to use the ladies room at the end of the evening.  Just my take on it, that's all.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline mouk

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 09:37:17 am »
Hello everybody, interesting discussion going on here

I agree with this Mandy - there is no throw away line in the film (or in the story).  This really shows that the 2 men do not understand women aand are not very interested in them. Randall's  "don't know", looking totally unbothered, speaks volumes.

To me, it is almost like a code, Jack responding to Randall's earlier glances and prodding to see if he got it right. And Randall gets the message and feels encouraged to make his invitation. An invitation which would look innocent enough without the 'you know?' at the end  :)

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 10:00:42 am »
Absolutely positively 100%, mouk.  You summed it up way better than me, and with much fewer words.  I hadn't really thought about the "you know" at the end, but that's exactly the moment the innocence of the invitation goes away.  Thanks.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...