Author Topic: How do you define what being a Brokie is in a couple of sentences?  (Read 3850 times)

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
I knew that mentioning on my blog that I was a Brokie was probably a bad idea, or at least I should have put some thought into how I would answer the inevitable "What's a Brokie?" questions....*sigh*

Alas though, I didn't, and now someone's asked the inevitable question, plus on other forums I usually post regularly on which I've been very quiet on of late because I've been hanging around here more and more, friends are messaging me and asking me where I've been. Now I could just skirt around the issue and say I've been AFK or blame RL, but more and more I'm feeling as though I probably should offer some sort of explanation of what I've been up to, and at least with close friends "come out" as a Brokie. I'm finding it difficult to put into words though without taking up two sides of A4 paper what it's all about. Christ, this is harder than telling my parents I was going out with a girl when I was nineteen! LOL!

Can anyone help please? What's your definition of what a Brokie is and what being a Brokie's all about?

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: How do you define what being a Brokie is in a couple of sentences?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 12:02:39 pm »
Tough question. For people I'm not so close to, I always take the easy way out and compare it to being a Trekkie.

"Do you know what a Trekkie is? Those crazy folks, meeting at Star Trek Conventions and wearing pajamas?"

Most people have heard of *that* phenomenon, so they answer with yes and I continue "Well, being a Brokie is similar. Only about the movie Brokeback Mountain instead of the Star Trek series."

Of course that's only a superficial comparison and says nothing about my feelings towards BBM, nor does it even give a hint of the effect BBM has on me - but that's the way I like it. Nobody's business but mine.

Close friends and family have gotten to know more over time. But I don't feel like baring my heart to almost strangers, so the Trekkie comparison works just fine for me.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 12:11:09 pm »
Oh, I hope I didn't hurt any Trekkies here by calling them crazy. It's meant as a tongue-in-cheek statement, I've come to understand them much better over the last years ...  ;D
I think many people who are non-Brokies (and non-Trekkies) would think we're a tad strange, crazy, whatever. I can live with that and even laugh about it.  8)
Let 'em think what they want. I'm thankful that I am one of those who "get it".

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 05:42:27 pm »
Tough question. For people I'm not so close to, I always take the easy way out and compare it to being a Trekkie.

"Do you know what a Trekkie is? Those crazy folks, meeting at Star Trek Conventions and wearing pajamas?"
Most people have heard of *that* phenomenon, so they answer with yes and I continue "Well, being a Brokie is similar. Only about the movie Brokeback Mountain instead of the Star Trek series."

Of course that's only a superficial comparison and says nothing about my feelings towards BBM, nor does it even give a hint of the effect BBM has on me...

LOL! I like that!  ;D  Like you say, nobody's business but ours.

Oh, I hope I didn't hurt any Trekkies here by calling them crazy. It's meant as a tongue-in-cheek statement, I've come to understand them much better over the last years ...  ;D

I know what you mean, I never did "get" the idea of Trekkies either, but I the last couple of years, I can see where they're coming from, sort of.
I think I may have to borrow the Trekkie line if you don't mind.  ;)

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 06:08:49 pm »
LOL! I like that!  ;D  Like you say, nobody's business but ours.

I know what you mean, I never did "get" the idea of Trekkies either, but I the last couple of years, I can see where they're coming from, sort of.
I think I may have to borrow the Trekkie line if you don't mind.  ;)

I don't mind at all. Go ahead!  :)

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlinĀ“
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 01:08:57 pm »
For me,being a Brokie is much more than sharing the love for a movie and its characters or actors: it's to feel oneself as a part of a kind of family,or it should be...A group of persons united for keep its spirit alive; a message of tolerance,understanding and respect about other's persons way of being,living and FEELING. Too exaggerated?. ::)
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are lifeĀ“s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 08:32:05 pm »
No, not too exaggerated at all, and it does feel kind of like a family.

Yesterday I did actually tell a friend of mine about being a Brokie. She's a moderator on my forum, and she's been worried about me not being there much and was worried I was ill. I felt bad about it and felt I had to explain where I'd been, and about here and stuff. I was quite surprised when she said she'd actually bought the DVD and really wanted to watch it, but hadn't had chance to yet because she knew her husband wouldn't "approve" of it, and wanted to watch it on her own. Of course finding another potential "convert" I got all excited and started rambling on about the film and stuff, and she said that after hearing me raving about it she felt instinctively that she was going to love it, and couldn't wait to get chance to watch it. I can't wait to find out what she thinks of it.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 04:06:13 pm »
No, not too exaggerated at all, and it does feel kind of like a family.

Yesterday I did actually tell a friend of mine about being a Brokie. She's a moderator on my forum, and she's been worried about me not being there much and was worried I was ill. I felt bad about it and felt I had to explain where I'd been, and about here and stuff. I was quite surprised when she said she'd actually bought the DVD and really wanted to watch it, but hadn't had chance to yet because she knew her husband wouldn't "approve" of it, and wanted to watch it on her own. Of course finding another potential "convert" I got all excited and started rambling on about the film and stuff, and she said that after hearing me raving about it she felt instinctively that she was going to love it, and couldn't wait to get chance to watch it. I can't wait to find out what she thinks of it.

;D
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/