Author Topic: What if Jack and Ennis had never reunited?  (Read 2737 times)

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
What if Jack and Ennis had never reunited?
« on: March 17, 2008, 05:52:29 pm »
Okay, bear with me on this one. This might sound crazy, but an idea struck me last night. What if Jack and Ennis had never met up again after Brokeback? What if the story is Ennis dreaming about what might have happened?

It struck me last night that in the prologue to the SS, it says:

He might have to stay with his married daughter until he picks up another job, yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream.

The stale coffee is boiling up but he catches it before it goes over the side, pours it into a stained cup and blows on the black liquid, lets a panel of the dream slide forward.

It struck me that the way it's phrased, "a panel of the dream" suggests we might hear more about Ennis's dream, and the way the scenes in the SS are short and clipped, almost like the way Ennis talks and thinks, not allowing himself to dwell too much on emotion, is almost as though we're seeing snatches of Ennis's dream, or snatches or various dreams. What if after Brokeback they hadn't met up again, and the story is Ennis dreaming about what might have happened, maybe just one of many variations on what might have happened?

Thoughts?

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlin´
Re: What if Jack and Ennis had never reunited?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 12:58:22 pm »
It's a possibility I confess never have thought about before,good point¡ ;)  Well,I suppose that in Ennis case the BBM experience had marked him forever,not only to dream about-what would reveal that his feelings were deeper than he pretended...-,but in real life.The problem would be that he allowed him only to dream about it,about what would have been and never was again; IMO,he kept on living an ordinary and conventional life,fulfilling his duties as a married man and father,as society rules obliged him to do...Surely,sooner or later,he would realise he was living a lie for himself and for Alma,and they got divorced ;not for being a third person in between,but because the relationship would break down for Ennis impossibility to live a fully happy life with a woman.And I say "with a woman",not only with Alma...Something inside him had been deeply removed,so he would live bittered and sad for not being HIMSELF with the only person he had really loved.The same than he lived bittered and sad for not living with this person having followed the relationship,that's the same than saying for not being HIMSELF also.The result,then,would have been the same.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 06:32:33 am by myprivatejack »
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are life´s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 08:20:28 pm »
Something inside him had been deeply removed,so I would live bittered and sad for not being HIMSELF with the only person he had really loved.The same than he lived bittered and sad for not living with this person having followed the relationship,that's the same than saying for not being HIMSELF also.The result,then,would have been the same.

That's a good point. As we've discussed elsewhere, as the many fanfics show, anything's possible in fiction, but given just the short story and only the short story, if he wasn't with Jack, the result was always going to be the same for him. Another thing that's struck me over the past few days reading the story again is something that doesn't come across in the film - in the film it's much more balanced between the two of them, but in the story, it's almost entirely from Ennis's perspective, and we get very little of what's going on in Jack's head.

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 08:33:32 pm »
Thanks bliss!

Wow:
film it's much more balanced between the two of them, but in the story, it's almost entirely from Ennis's perspective, and we get very little of what's going on in Jack's head.

You sure enlighten us!!  Much can be said about that?

Hugs!

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 09:26:03 pm »
WHAT ??......NO REUNION ???

OMG....NO......and miss out on that embrace, that kiss, that clutching, those eyes meeting eyes, that pounding of bodies meeting after four f***ing years.......

NO.......NO......NO......NEVER.....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection