Author Topic: What do you think of homeschooling?  (Read 15008 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
What do you think of homeschooling?
« on: March 27, 2008, 12:35:28 pm »
What do you think of homeschooling?

In my country, homeschooling is illegal. Every child from age six to 18 has to attent either a public school or a private school (which are licensed and overseen by public authorities). Private schools are - in comparison to the US and UK - rare.
Of course, everybody is entitled to teach their children additionally to school as much and whatever they want. But every child has to go to school with other children.

When I speak of homeschooling on this thread, I do not mean children of kindergarten age (roughly around 3-7, depending how the school laws are in the different countries), but of children from, let's say, 7 or maybe 8 years on.

In the poll, you can select up to two options and change your vote afterwards.
If you want a voting option to be added, just ask.

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
Re: What do you think of homeschooling?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 01:05:47 pm »
OOO!  OOO!  I'm the first to vote!

I'm concerned about the quality of the education kids get.  What subjects do they get taught and what is the quality of that teaching?  I learned some pretty strange things at the hands of my parents.  I haven't a clue what my education would have been like if they had been in charge of it.

If the parents are knowledable and qualified, I suppose it's OK, as long as the kids get socialized in some way also.

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 01:20:42 pm »
Well after the recent hassles I,ve had with my son and school, I was seriously considering home schooling. However I had some really good news today. My son has been offered a place at another school nearby so I,m really pleased, because at the end of the day, I think that the best place for a child to be educated is school. They do know what they are doing and the child gets to meet new people and make new friends. Home schooling should really be a last resort if you have tried everything else and got no where. I don,t think it should be seen as an "easy option" because it isn,t. I know most kids would rather stay at home with mum, but they,d soon get bored as I know my son has. It,s good for them to go to school and meet new people and make some new friends.  :)

Offline optom3

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 01:40:39 pm »
Having 3 children age 9,11 and 14 this is of interest to me.I personally would not home school.I do not consider myself either patient enough,or gifted at teaching.I do think parents should have a choice,within strict paramaters though.
I have experienced both the U.K and U.S.A education system,private and public ,
and with all their are faults.However I still feel the education gained by my 3 from school,will be far superior to anything I could provide.
That said I have been very lucky in having my younger two,placed in a gifted school here,which even better is free.My oldest son is about to start high school and I will reserve judgement on that one,till I have more experience.He has always been a problem,whether in the U.K or here,paid for or free.
So reluctantly, I have resigned myself to the fact,that high school will be equally problematic.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 12:45:49 am »
given the sorry state of public schools in the US, I see it as an important option for parents. there should be a tax deduction at the local school district level for those parents who chose the homeschooling option.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 08:13:06 pm »
Good idea, but there are buts too ??

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 02:37:33 am »
Back when I was in school - 1968 - 1980, we never talked about home schooling. If it existed it was never discussed. I never heard about it until years later, long after I had graduated high school.

Personally, I think I would have loved the idea of home schooling. I had a very rough time in school. I got beat up a lot, picked on, made fun of, etc. Fortunately I had a few "bodyguards" though. I was friends with some of the guys on the football team, wrestling team and other athletes (it helped that the most popular guy in school was also in the orchestra) and many of those guys were fiercely protective of me. BUT, when they weren't around, the bullies would approach me, do things to me and say something like "if you tell them I said this or did that to you, it will be twice as bad for you the next time" so I never said anything. I don't know. It was weird. I would have probably cut off my right arm to go to school at home. I suppose it probably is the same way with other kids now who experience what I did back in grade school and high school.

What are the requirements for teaching your children at home? I mean, does one need to be a licensed teacher? This is the only part that concerns me. What kind of education are kids getting at home? If it is a good, healthy and rounded education then I think it's a good idea if both the parents and the children wish it. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 03:39:01 am »
In AR the parent doesn't have to be licensed. I've known of kids who use the computer system whose parents aren't even at home during the day. (I don't think that's good in most cases.) Students have to be tested the same as any others. And I'm not sure about the details, but I'd guess there is a standard that must be reached on the tests in order for the home-schooling to continue.

Some kids come to school from home-schooling ahead of the others; some are behind.

I don't think there was home-schooling when I was in school either, David. (61-73) If so, I was unaware.

"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 03:45:37 am »
In AR the parent doesn't have to be licensed. I've known of kids who use the computer system whose parents aren't even at home during the day. (I don't think that's good in most cases.) Students have to be tested the same as any others. And I'm not sure about the details, but I'd guess there is a standard that must be reached on the tests in order for the home-schooling to continue.

Some kids come to school from home-schooling ahead of the others; some are behind.

I don't think there was home-schooling when I was in school either, David. (61-73) If so, I was unaware.

Thank you Shasta. Since you are a teacher I take your opinion quite seriously. I'm pleased to learn there are at least SOME controls in place. And I suppose there are many different reasons why the parents (and the kids) would perfer homeschooling. But like I said, this is something quite new to me. The world is changing and the educational system too maybe. :-\

I would have LOVED homeschooling as a child. School can be insufferable for some kids. But it didn't exist back then to my knowledge.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 04:06:52 am »
Thank you Shasta. Since you are a teacher I take your opinion quite seriously. I'm pleased to learn there are at least SOME controls in place. And I suppose there are many different reasons why the parents (and the kids) would perfer homeschooling. But like I said, this is something quite new to me. The world is changing and the educational system too maybe. :-\

I would have LOVED homeschooling as a child. School can be insufferable for some kids. But it didn't exist back then to my knowledge.

Bullies are really the bane of any school. They know how to intimidate kids and they do it out of earshot/vision of others. There is a bully at my school and I have turned him in twice. Others have turned him in a couple of times, too. He has had just about every punishment and the next is isolation school--where he has to do all of his work and everything alone--being monitored by a special teacher. Bathroom breaks, lunch, etc.--all done while other kids are in class. He does not want that, so he has calmed down quite a bit. Thank goodness. He has mainly been mean to kids younger than he--naturally.

Yes--you would have probably benefited from home-schooling if it had been available, David. But I'm sure you learned some coping mechanisms that helped you in your adult life at least. One--you learned that good friends--like the football boys--can be nice to have! I was bullied a little, but--like you--I didn't react enough. They left me alone mostly. Plus--strength in numbers, so friends helped friends. I pulled a bully girl off a smaller friend in the dressing room--she had her down, hitting her head against the floor. I guess bullies have been around since time began, huh?
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~