Author Topic: Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon  (Read 9347 times)

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
Re: Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 04:41:13 pm »
Dark Side of the Moon is one of my favorite albums, and I'm only 22... I love it though.  Funny, I'm wearing a pink floyd t-shirt today... ;D
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 02:54:36 pm »
I discovered Pink Floyd rather late. I remember in junior high, my friends were all raving about "The Wall" and "Another Brick in the Wall". At the time, my allowance didn't go far enough to include buying tapes and records. It wasn't until my years at UCLA that I bought my first PF cd. I bought a compilation, and loved the songs. I later went out and got "Dark Side of the Moon" and it's one of my favorites to today.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 03:30:07 pm by starboardlight »
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 02:56:23 pm »
Leslie, it's a date for DSOTM in the dark.  Did you grow up in NY?  Where?

For me, it was WPLJ (also NYC)...

Oh my god, I haven't thought about WPLJ in many years.  Me too, I loved that station.  Deep into the night.  I'm racking my brain for DJ names.  I'm gonna go a-Googlin', see if I can find them.  That station was hugely important to me too.

Here we go - that Wikipedia, what doesn''t it have?  - Here's the part about WPLJ from "my" era:

"Later in 1971, the station changed its call sign to WPLJ (from the phrase "white port & lemon juice") and switched to a more conventional AOR (album oriented rock) format. Early on, the station would play the music of artists such as Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Aerosmith, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, The Doobie Brothers, Steely Dan, Elton John, Deep Purple, Rod Stewart, and The Allman Brothers. The station would also play pop songs from artists such as James Taylor, Stevie Wonder and Carly Simon. The station was different from Top 40 stations (such as co-owned WABC) in that they played more album tracks.
Larry Berger took over as Program Director of WPLJ in 1974, and the station adopted the slogan "New York's Best Rock". Some of the personalities on the station during this period included Jim Kerr, Pat St. John, Carol Miller, Tony Pigg, John Zacherle, Dave Charity, and Jimmy Fink.  [I remember all of these like old friends, except Dave Charity.]"

« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 03:09:15 pm by Ellemeno »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2006, 04:35:47 pm »
Leslie, it's a date for DSOTM in the dark.  Did you grow up in NY?  Where?

I thought we had discussed this, darlin'. I lived in Queens (Jackson Heights) til I was six, then moved to Bayport (LI) where I lived until I graduated from high school.

Oh my god, I haven't thought about WPLJ in many years.  Me too, I loved that station.  Deep into the night.  I'm racking my brain for DJ names.  I'm gonna go a-Googlin', see if I can find them.  That station was hugely important to me too.

Here we go - that Wikipedia, what doesn''t it have?  - Here's the part about WPLJ from "my" era:

"Later in 1971, the station changed its call sign to WPLJ (from the phrase "white port & lemon juice") and switched to a more conventional AOR (album oriented rock) format.

Which would have been the time I started listening (1971). Junior high I listened to "77, WABC" with Cousin Brucie and Dan Ingram (Remember, "Dan Ingram's electric radio theater"?). Then I bopped around for awhile, trying to find a decent station (I used to be able to pull in something from Connecticut that was okay). WBAB (from Babylon) was about all that existed until WPLJ came along...and then I was hooked.

I graduated from HS in 1973 and headed to Troy NY to go to college and the radio stations there SUCKED, except for WRPI (college station). WTRY....omigod. It was the first time I ever heard a station that had a robot playing the music, not a real DJ.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2006, 06:54:44 pm »
I thought we had discussed this, darlin'.

I'm sorry, Leslie.  I do my very best to keep my 50+ cyberfriends' stories straight and untangled, but sometimes I blow it.  You think that's sad, I spent two days with Barb and didn't register until after I got home that she was the person who has written about certain parts of her story I feel very connected to, and there she was right across from me in real life.

And it helps me really understand how somebody PMed me earlier today to tell me something that I had told them about a week ago. 

[Ellemeno files this into her brain, and shoves so it will stick: "Leslie, in childhood=Jackson Heights, then LI"]

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2006, 06:46:27 am »
I'm sorry, Leslie.  I do my very best to keep my 50+ cyberfriends' stories straight and untangled, but sometimes I blow it.  You think that's sad, I spent two days with Barb and didn't register until after I got home that she was the person who has written about certain parts of her story I feel very connected to, and there she was right across from me in real life.

And it helps me really understand how somebody PMed me earlier today to tell me something that I had told them about a week ago. 

[Ellemeno files this into her brain, and shoves so it will stick: "Leslie, in childhood=Jackson Heights, then LI"]

No need to apologize, sweetie, but I am still wondering if you remember Cousin Brucie? LOL

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2006, 10:24:07 am »

Ah.  This explains why you were so enthralled by my freakish sponge memory (my one true gift).  If anyone ever needs to know the name of some obscure director or how exactly some line in some little-known movie goes, look no further.  I was a fantastic test taker in college, too, but don't ask me to explain how anything I "learned" about works.

<--- Been in Mouth of the Rat for 13 loooooong years.  Gah!  Just realized that's the longest she's lived in any one place.

<--- Likes to talk about herself in the third person
No more beans!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2006, 11:10:21 am »
Ah.  This explains why you were so enthralled by my freakish sponge memory (my one true gift).  If anyone ever needs to know the name of some obscure director or how exactly some line in some little-known movie goes, look no further.  I was a fantastic test taker in college, too, but don't ask me to explain how anything I "learned" about works.

<--- Been in Mouth of the Rat for 13 loooooong years.  Gah!  Just realized that's the longest she's lived in any one place.

<--- Likes to talk about herself in the third person

Ha ha, I will always remember you, Barb, and keep you straight in my universe of cyberfriends, because you and I have the same high school boyfriend story!!

L

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2006, 12:05:01 pm »
I am still wondering if you remember Cousin Brucie?

I sure do.  And Harry Harrison.  Big voices.  And have you noticed that when Ennis and Jack sit down at the bar, the radio in the background is Harry Harrison's voice talking?

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2006, 12:09:27 pm »
Ah.  This explains why you were so enthralled by my freakish sponge memory (my one true gift). 

Barb, I got home and was rereading some long ago threads, and there you were talking about the lake bonfires and your father's highballs.  And I went, "Oh right!  THAT's part of Barb's story too."  I confidently remembered other parts of your more current life, but forgot that part. 

I love us and our whole lives, even the sucky parts, because they burnish and transmute as we tell them here.

<-------Also likes to talk in third person at times.

B) And in bullet points.

Ellemeno's 1000th BetterMost post! 
 I love you guys and gaias and our home here!

« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 04:26:49 pm by Elle-Effen'-Meno »