Author Topic: "Homo Heroes" article link - review of "X-Men: The Last Stand"  (Read 15389 times)

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: "Homo Heroes" article link - review of "X-Men: The Last Stand"
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 04:46:27 pm »
I haven't seen any of the X-men movies, but I read my grandsons stories about them (in a book, not on Kindle). So I was intrigued when I listened to an old episode of Radiolab today where courts were arguing whether X-man characters were toys or dolls. Each X-man or -woman has a power that was caused by a mutation. If you have a mutation, are you a mutant? If so, we are all mutants because we all have mutations. And, what degree of mutation do you need to have to not be a human being, but some other type of being? There's also a brief discussion about Magneto "coming out" to his parents about his mutation. Of course, the first question his mom had was if he could just not use his mutant powers.  :-\

http://www.radiolab.org/story/epic-battles/
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 09:29:45 pm »
I don't think in the stories the X-Men considered themselves 'non-humans'.

It's been  a while since I read any of the comic books or graphic novels, but when someone referred to a non-powered human, the term homo-sapien was used.  When one referred to a mutant, they were called "homo-superior".

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 12:32:01 pm »
It's been  a while since I read any of the comic books or graphic novels, but when someone referred to a non-powered human, the term homo-sapien was used.  When one referred to a mutant, they were called "homo-superior".

I like that idea! Meanwhile e-sports are going on and distracting legions of young men all over the globe. At my grandchildrens' house is a piece of furniture called a baker's rack. It served for many years to hold serving dishes in my dining room. Now, it would be more accurate to call it a gamer's rack!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 06:12:12 pm »
are they all online games?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline x-man

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2020, 03:51:31 pm »
I was a bit disappointed that no old-timers here suggested my Topic of a few years ago, MUTANT AS METAPHOR which explored the phenomenon of the first 3 xmen movies and homophobia rather fully.  Their relationship is not serendipity, it was quite intended as is seen in Xman 1.5
Happiness is the lasting pleasure of the mind grasping the intelligible order of reality.      --Leibniz