Author Topic: 1968 (Forty years later...)  (Read 70424 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: 1968 (Forty years later...)
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 07:57:34 am »
Also in the news this week, as reported in other threads in this site, YSL--thought I'd add this photo just because it seems so period, and so right--

The French designer Yves Saint Laurent is flanked by Betty Catroux (left) and Loulou de la Falaise
outside his new London boutique in 1969.
(Wesley/Keystone/Getty Images).

It’s easy to forget that the concepts of ready-to-wear clothing and men’s wear were practically unheard of before him — as were licensing deals and “out” gay designers.

Absolutely. The fact that the French have been celebrating this past month the May 1968 riots is sort of brought home by thinking of Saint Laurent in that era. I was very young and even though I wasn’t actually demonstrating, I just felt that Saint Laurent was so in tune with what I and my generation wanted to wear and do. It was that sense of freedom — breaking through the barriers of convention, of class, of all sorts of things. And the clothes just went with it.

Taken from an article in 'T Magazine,' The New York Times,
"Suzy Menkes Remembers Yves Saint Laurent," by Horacio Silva.
http://themoment.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/02/suzy-menkes-remembers-yves-saint-laurent/
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 08:39:00 am »
I love that poster, with the hand of Army person holding the mouth of the youth !

Is that also to-day too, since kids have drugs and guns at school, instead of teachers ??

Au revoir,
hugs!                     

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2008, 07:42:50 am »

"Camping Out"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2008, 05:05:27 pm »
At least, this Kennedy did something for humanity !

Where are such persons to-day ? The mafia and other criminals are too rampant, and the USA, Canada and others do nothing to stop them - as Italy wants more done in America towards that crime family at least !!

Merci/thanks to our other soldiers for D-day to-day June 6th and other places before that, then, and now, fighting for our freedom !!

Great pic !

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 01:37:44 am »
After we talked about "That Was the Week That Was" here, I went to its IMDb forum and posted if anyone knew where to find it.  I just got a reply:

How can I see this show?   
  by Ellemeno   (Tue May 27 2008 19:22:25)   
I am just a little too young to have seen this show, but some people say it was one of the best things ever on television, and the cast is astonishing. It's not on YouTube. Any ideas on how to view it?

Re: How can I see this show?   
  by eljefe320   30 minutes ago (Sun Jun 8 2008 22:02:57)      
You can't. When NBC offered the tapes back to Leland Hayward he turned them down and they were subsequently either erased or thrown out. Very little if anything exists from this show and it won't turn up anywhere as there is nothing from the show in private hands.

Re: How can I see this show?   
  by Ellemeno   5 seconds ago (Sun Jun 8 2008 22:33:40)   
That seems impossible - I don't mean this in an "I doubt you" kind of way, just that to think that something so highly thought of could simply be gone is astonishing. Thanks for your reply.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2008, 06:44:49 am »
Elle, you are indefatigable--I love it!

I'm not joking when I say that I now have TWTWTW (TW3) theme song in my brain whether I want it or not--I am hearing the fast paced musical cues, the segues, and the imperious, fluting voice of David Frost doing a parody of his own regular parodistical High-Church of England voice, a version of "Mawwidge today!" Frost's father was a minister!

This soundtrack in my brain is inconvenient if hilarious--no actual content, you understand, just the sound of it, more than 45 years later (the right lobe of the brain is just doing its job, I guess)!

By the way--Frost was one of the producers of TW3--I wonder if he managed to keep some of the shows... ::)

"Very little if anything exists from this show and it won't turn up anywhere as there is nothing from the show in private hands."

Why, I wonder?

xxx
J

(and now for something completely different)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJMqHDynnoY&NR=1[/youtube]
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 09:22:39 am by jmmgallagher »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2008, 08:13:03 pm »
Ha!

Obviously I was thinking about the Zeitgeist--and then the Zeitgeist found me--

Today, in a small shop on Washington and West 11th Street (exactly opposite The Spotted Pig), I found this Trovata '68 tee-shirt on sale!

Then when I took it home--

--there was an attached muslin drawstring bag, tiny, and inside that, I found this rawhide thong-necklace with a clenched fist (below)--

Right on! Cool!

Then, suddenly--uh oh.

I remember this very old SNL film short that first ran during the mid-to late 70's, thirty years ago--it showed very real, very elderly people in a Florida 'Senior' Center, with (assumed, mocking) names like 'Snowflake, 'Dawn' and 'Rainbow,' each telling about the 'Old Days' of Free Love and LSD--

(Should I change my name to 'snowflake?')

"Camping Out"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2008, 09:20:42 pm »
Then, suddenly--uh oh.

I remember this very old SNL film short that first ran during the mid-to late 70's, thirty years ago--it showed very real, very elderly people in a Florida 'Senior' Center, with (assumed, mocking) names like 'Snowflake, 'Dawn' and 'Rainbow,' each telling about the 'Old Days' of Free Love and LSD--

(Should I change my name to 'snowflake?')

Aw, John, I think "Moonbeam" would suit  you better.  ;)

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2008, 09:36:21 pm »
Aw, John, I think "Moonbeam" would suit  you better.  ;)

Ha!

Al Capp's Moonbeam McSwine (the girl above) and friend (oink! below):

(I'm thinking I'm looking more like the friend than Moonbeam--)

;D

"Camping Out"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2008, 03:24:56 am »

You wear that, and those who don't know what it means'll be telling you you look darn good for 68 years old, snowflake.