Author Topic: 1968 (Forty years later...)  (Read 70416 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: 1968 (Forty years later...)
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2008, 06:58:07 pm »
I turned 17 in 1968.....met my husband in March 1968......got engaged to him in July 1968 (my 17th birthday)......and married him in February 1969.....

(and its still going strong)

I was lucky to be a teenager thru the sixties.....was into Elvis....then Beatlemania.....then the hippie era......there was some fantastic music, and as I look down that list of songs, I reckon I could still sing word for word every one of them.......

OUR song  was Young Girl by The Union Gap......whenever we hear it now, we look at each other and smile that "remember when" smile...and you know, when I remember, I can even smell the perfume I wore and the after shave he wore.........there is nothing like a song to bring back memories......
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2008, 07:41:22 pm »
I remember every single song on that list (and can hum the opening of all of them) probably because in 1968 I had an AM radio surgically attached to my head (it was attached in 1965, actually, and removed in 1970, when I started listening to FM).

In New York, I listened to WABC - 77 with legendary DJs like Cousin Brucie (Bruce Morrow) and Dan Ingram (Dan Ingram's electric radio theater!). In the summer, when I was hanging out in New Hampshire, I listened to WRKO - 68 from Boston (it was good, but a pale imitator compared to 77).

Those were the days... (no. 30 on the list!)

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2008, 08:14:44 pm »
Oh yes Leslie, those certainly were the days.......when we took our transistor radios everywhere we went......(probably much the same now with the kids with their Ipods........

The car we had at the time did not have a radio in it.....back then a radio was an "extra" in a car.......so i used to slide the strap of my transistor radio over the sunvisor in the car, and it would sway back and forth with the movement of the car, but at least we could listen to music.

And everyone had a transistor radio beside them as they sunbaked on the beach...in fact one radio station used to have a call every half hour saying...."time to turn over in the sun".....so everyone would get an even tan.......no one ever thought to tell us to put sun block on though.

Yeah that was back "when a smoke was a smoke and groovin was groovin"........
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2008, 09:04:39 pm »
I remember the cars without radios...we did have radios in our cars but you are right, it was an extra.

Late at night (when I was in NH) we could get WABC (from NY) on the radio. We could also get WKBW from Buffalo, NY which made me feel like I was listening to music from Mars! WKBW was a great station, actually, although I could never call myself a "regular" listener since I'd only hear it really late at night, for an hour or two, and only in the summer. LOL.

As for baking on the beach...forget sunscreen! Do you remember the baby oil and iodine concoction we slathered ourselves with? Talk about frying in the sun!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2008, 09:14:00 pm »

Those were the days... (no. 30 on the list!)

La La La La
La La La La LA!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5pkkAhETYg[/youtube]

;D
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2008, 10:28:23 pm »
Eek! Elle, I have to hide under a rock! Blush! But thank you!

Now:

Hey!  I'd never heard of Jonathan Groff, but he's going to be in Ang's new Woodstock movie!

But now I have to say--Jonathan Groff is really a White Boy worth talking about!  :o

I loved him in Spring Awakening as the brave, anguished, forthright Melchior Gabor, and, when he was to be in Hair in Central Park this month (but leaving the production early, yesterday, on Sunday, August 17), I said to Meryl--that's it, it's this weekend or not at all! And we did it!  ;D

Funny--I sent some pictures to a friend in San Francisco, an exact contemporary (she went to see Hair in San Francisco in 1970 at 16, just as I went to see it in New York, same year)--and she sent me back an email, and said:

My goodness me!  It all comes rushing back!  I just loved that "Frank Mills" tune. What songs stayed in your mind? And such hunky cast members! Back in the day, I believe, they were probably on the 'wan' side!

Hilarious!

So here's the real White Boy, 'smooth as milk' (and hunky!) Jonathan Groff! (The extremely young and extremely talented three principals of Spring Awakening, Jonathan, his real live Lady Love, Lea Michele, and my "cousin"--Hah! Joke!--John Gallagher, Jr., the Emmy winner, have now all left the show for even more amazing things--but it's still a terrific show, so try it if you can!)

But here's Mr. Groff!

From left: John Gallagher, Jr., Lea Michele, and Jonathan Groff

and--

Hair!

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 12:18:46 am by jmmgallagher »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2008, 10:38:19 pm »

I have vivid memories of going to see the stage play Hair.

It was July 1970, in Sydney.

My husband and I made a last minute decison to go go and see it and got to the theatre only ten minutes before show time.  Hubby said he would go and park the car, while I went to the ticket office to buy the tickets. As I walked up to the ticket office, I was aproached by two American Marines.....at the time, Sydney was a very popular place for American servicemen to take R&R leave from Vietnam.......they asked me if I wanted to see the show, and I said I was just about to buy tickets for me and my husband. They handed me two tickets, and said, have these.

Apparently they had bought four tickets, two for themselves and two for their dates who apparently had not turned up, which was quite sad. We ended up sitting next to them in the theatre.  We were planning to ask them if they wanted to go for a drink afterwards, but unfortunately they did not return after intermission.

Whenever I hear the music of Hair, I always remember that night, and those American marines.

Lovely, lovely story, Katie! Thank you! (I bet the marines didn't leave because of the politics--I bet they decided to go back and find more girls!)

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2008, 10:41:18 pm »

John, you are a true channeler of the 60's, and you're even five years younger than me!  I must have slept a lot as I went through high school and college.  ;)

Thanks for the great "Hair" pics, and of course for spending all day in line getting the so-called free tickets.  I'm glad to see your one illicit snapshot came out, despite the usher's stern looks.  ;D

I was hoarse as a hog after belting out the high part of "Let the Sun Shine" in chest voice!  :P

Thank you, Meryl! We can be 'Rainbow' and 'Moonbeam' yet!

(Wasn't that 'Staff' girl something fierce??  ::) )

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2008, 11:14:58 pm »

And by 1969, we found, these, uh, variants--but still valid artifacts of the '60s!

5th dimension-Aquarius-Let the Sunshine In (3:50)
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uONF0zJz2Oo[/youtube]

Bob McGrath, the Muppets - Good Morning, Starshine (3:06)
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q2wXCiZ4oc[/youtube]

Gotta love 'em!

"Camping Out"

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2008, 11:31:44 pm »
Great Hair pictures John! I saw it 2 or 3 years ago at Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri. My parents (who were 21 and 19 in 1968) said it was important for my brother and I to see it. I listen to the title song all the time and a few others are definite favorites of mine. I love that show.