Author Topic: Tip toe thru my tulips - and more '08  (Read 105001 times)

injest

Re: Tip toe thru my tulips - and more '08
« Reply #160 on: August 19, 2008, 07:03:55 pm »
Bad news this morning.

A while back, I reported that a large branch of the apple tree had broken off ... It's still attached to the tree & sap is still flowing (cause the leaves haven't dried up yet).

Well this morning, the same fate befell my much smaller pear tree. Except that this time, the branch was on the ground. Leaves were already fried up.

Lotsa fruit on the branch & they might still rippen, but the small pear tree just got smaller ...

ouch....dang that did fall right off didn't it... :-\

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #161 on: August 19, 2008, 08:16:21 pm »
Makes for a lot of fruit on the table ... specially since the tomatoes are rippening at an accelerated rate.

yup, that's a yellow tomato in the centre of the picture

even the neighbour's plums are rippening ... and Nancy, the neighbour on the other side came offering a dozen of her apples (just to the right of the picture).
MAN!
Them maters look good!
They'd be great on a biscuit or on a sammitch!!  ;D
I love mater sammitches! Just white bread Mayo salt and pepper and a couple a big mater slices!!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #162 on: August 19, 2008, 08:39:31 pm »
MAN!
Them maters look good!
They'd be great on a biscuit or on a sammitch!!  ;D
I love mater sammitches! Just white bread Mayo salt and pepper and a couple a big mater slices!!

That's pretty much what I had for lunch - except it was 12 grain bread, and toasted and accompanied by a bowl a pea soup.

Last time I buy those engineered to be perfectly shaped tomatoes. They taste store bought.

think I'll have some toasted cucumber sandwich tonight.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #163 on: August 19, 2008, 09:28:20 pm »
That's pretty much what I had for lunch - except it was 12 grain bread, and toasted and accompanied by a bowl a pea soup.

Last time I buy those engineered to be perfectly shaped tomatoes. They taste store bought.

think I'll have some toasted cucumber sandwich tonight.
Dang Sheriff!
That sounds awesome! I love pea soup!
Also love cucmber sandwiches too.  ;D
YUM!!
Sorry to se the pear tree lost a branch!  :'(
Hope yuo can salvage the fruit though!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #164 on: October 21, 2008, 02:07:06 pm »
One last annecdote about this year's garden ... before the snows come (we're expecting a chilly -2C (28F) and -10C (18F) with the windshield factor tonight).

Earlier last week I got a pleasant little surprise.

I planted seeds some time last June (July?), including some old twinkle flox Bryan had bought for me years ago, cause ya can't find em in the plant stores anymore. Mom use to grow them in the garden when I was a kid and I use to collect their seeds and was able to replant em the following year.

That was decades ago ...

We did come across them in the stores once - some 8 years ago. The seeds I planted were at least 3 years old this year.

As I said, got a little surprise last week. One of the plants produced one flower. I brought it in the house (it was still in it's original pot) and (finally) took a picture of it today. They come in a variety of colour and shape schemes but I'm still glad to have gotten this one.

2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #165 on: October 21, 2008, 02:57:06 pm »
oooh!! Pretty! Yummy!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #166 on: November 03, 2008, 06:29:12 pm »
Was asked if I could grow roses in Toronto.

They've always died on me before but they do grow up north. My father's mother had a rose bush in her yard - and dad suscesfully trasplanted (and grew quite a large number of plants from cuttings at his house).

This year I tried again (for about 30,00$) and so far it hasn't died. There's hope yet.

Took these pictures just moments ago.
Temperature reached 16C (61F) today & is expected to reach 18C (64F) tomorrow.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #167 on: November 03, 2008, 06:31:19 pm »
Mind you, they are small flowers. The bush is about 70 cm (24 inches) tall/wide.

injest

« Reply #168 on: November 03, 2008, 08:09:50 pm »
yellow! my favorite!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #169 on: November 04, 2008, 10:16:56 pm »
They are beautiful!!
Do they smell as sweet as they look?