Author Topic: Accounts of a journey in the past '08  (Read 23206 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Accounts of a trip in the past '08
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2008, 12:26:04 pm »

In the meantime, you can get an overdose of ME in the 'Winnipeg's got bears' thread ;D

Mental Image: Lucy Ricardo with the Vitameetavegimin Bottle and a spoon "Have you had your dose of Roland today?"

:-*
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2008, 07:46:02 am »
The long and winding road - ain't always winding but that's what makes it so beautiful

The Great White North is actually better known in geographic circles as the 'Canadian Shield' - a series of ancient mountain range(s) that have been weathered and eroded over time by rivers and ice ages. Makes for a good many rock outcrops and rolling hills. Northen Ontario is strewn with thousands of lakes of various sizes and ponds of varying degrees of duration. Anyways, this picture is one of the kind that Bryan attempted to capture, with a mixture of the old (rolling hills), the very old (rocks), the temporary (roads and signs), the live (evergreens and deciduous), the constantly changing (sky and snow) and the unknown future (there's always something else to discover around that next bend).

2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2008, 05:52:01 pm »

A majestic view of a ice age 'lake' - good for farming grains and raising cattle. There's a unique cheese factory just north of this location - the town of New Liskeard is in there, somewhere.

2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2008, 11:35:04 am »
Well you might not think it possible but just north of New Liskeard we came across this:

and just west of Winnipeg we saw the rest: Fortier Road, but sorry, no picture

injest

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2008, 08:13:12 pm »
I had no idea you were so well known in Canada!!

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2008, 08:48:24 am »
Got to Timmins around 3:30. Layed down on the bed for a bit and then headed out to my brother Daniel's place where we were expected for supper. Mom got out of the hospital to go to Sunday mass and spent the afternoon with Daniel & Denyse, waiting for our arrival.

Bryan made a good impression on mom. After supper, Claudette's brood showed up and I got to take this one picture of Claudette's youngest (Dominique) with mom:

Visited mom in the hospital twice the next day. She didn't remember my being there the day before (at Daniel's - maybe it's cause she's not use to me sporting a goatee) but she remembered Bryan and asked why he hadn't come to visit her with me on that Monday.

injest

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2008, 08:08:33 pm »
ouch

it is so hard to watch our parents getting old isnt' it?

:-\ :-\

{{Roland}}

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2008, 08:22:38 pm »
The city of Winnipeg has the largest urban American Elm tree population left in north america. It is a natural treasure that is hopefully going to remain healthy and in tact. The elm is to the U.S. what the maple is to Canada. Having lost most of its elm trees (over 200 million since the mid 1940s), americans must turn to canada to view these stately giants.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2008, 07:25:27 am »
While in Timmins, Denyse (that's Daniel's wife) acted the tourist guide.

One place I'd never visited is the new Timmins library, which Daniel had a hand in 'drafting'

Here's a really limiting photo I found online of the place ...

injest

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2008, 07:38:13 am »
kinda reminds me of the inside of a big tent....