Author Topic: The New Yorker has published ANOTHER new Annie Proulx story ***SPOILERS***  (Read 17835 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: The New Yorker has published a new Annie Proulx story ***SPOILERS***
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 07:50:22 pm »
So disappointed. I stopped by Barnes and Noble looking for this New Yorker and they already have the one out for 5/12.  It's the 5th today.   I guess I will have to check at the library to see if they got "older" issues.

Does this story sound like it could be turned into a film?  Just curious.  I know Proulx isn't the type that writes so her stories can be easily turned into films.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2008, 10:06:25 pm »
Does this story sound like it could be turned into a film?  Just curious.  I know Proulx isn't the type that writes so her stories can be easily turned into films.

My opinion is that it would not make a very good film, FWIW.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2008, 10:52:29 pm »
schew.....  I barely (sp?) got my copy!  I went to the local Barnes and Noble today, found the 5/12 issue, spent 5 minutes or so waiting for someone to show up at customer services, asked if they had any of the 5/5 left - and he said, "Oh, wait, here you go, they're about to be shipped back..."

(so anyone still looking should maybe quick call the bookstore and ask)

anyone know if it's online?  the other option would be for someone to scan it and make a PDF (very illegal i'm sure).  if needed (and not too cost prohibitive), i could certainly mail a few photocopies... of course I shall abstain from mentioning my name, in case that is also illegal, lol...
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2008, 08:09:27 am »
I got a chance to read the story last week at the library. You might want ot check there if the book stores have sent their back already.

What I enjoy about all of her work is that there is this sense the characters don't know the whole story, but the reader does. Proulx write from a place of authority, an all seeing eye and tells you things like Jack remembers the dozy embrace as Ennis drives away, but Ennis does not know that, nor does anyone know he has the shirts in the closet, but we know all those things, because we read. 

In Old Cowboy Songs, it is much the same, you get to see what each character goes thru, but th others are oblivious to it, much more pronounced in this one.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2008, 12:47:52 pm »
What I enjoy about all of her work is that there is this sense the characters don't know the whole story, but the reader does. Proulx write from a place of authority, an all seeing eye and tells you things like Jack remembers the dozy embrace as Ennis drives away, but Ennis does not know that, nor does anyone know he has the shirts in the closet, but we know all those things, because we read. 

I know and agree with what you're saying but there are other times when Proulx takes the character's POV. I'm thinking particularly of the time when Ennis was seducing Alma (or trying to distract her from her line of thought) and the line finishes up, "all the way to the North Pole or the Equator, depending on which way you thought you were sailing" Now that is something that comes from the character's POV, not the narrator's LOL!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline BelAir

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2008, 04:52:44 pm »
I read the new story end of last week.

I forgot how absolutely devastating her writing can be.  I am glad the cat survived her tale, lol!

Does anyone think any parts of the story were over the top?  (I don't necessarily think so, but I think you could possibly make the argument.)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2008, 05:20:39 pm »
Certainly the part where the woman heard the coyotes howling and "she knew what they were doing."

But I've been to Wyoming and it is a very intense place and somewhat "over the top" as you say. So it fits with the location.

She is certainly very low-key about how her characters end up. I had to go back and read again to figure out what happened to Archie the young cowboy.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline BelAir

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 05:31:19 pm »
So disappointed. I stopped by Barnes and Noble looking for this New Yorker and they already have the one out for 5/12.  It's the 5th today.   I guess I will have to check at the library to see if they got "older" issues.

well, yeah, I think it probably could be a film....  might look like a lot of harrowing melodrama on screen though.

at its simplest, it is a basic western tale of misfortune.  (well, seems sacreligious to use the words simple and basic to relate to a. proulx.  simple and basic don't equal bad though.)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 10:24:26 pm by BelAir »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 06:23:13 pm »
The names Annie Proulx comes up with never cease to amaze and amuse me: "Queeda Dorgan."  ???  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2008, 09:12:46 pm »
I know and agree with what you're saying but there are other times when Proulx takes the character's POV. I'm thinking particularly of the time when Ennis was seducing Alma (or trying to distract her from her line of thought) and the line finishes up, "all the way to the North Pole or the Equator, depending on which way you thought you were sailing" Now that is something that comes from the character's POV, not the narrator's LOL!!

Yeah she really exposes their POV as a enement in the telling of the story.

That line about the north pole and the equator was so obtuse I really had to think about it a long time. It was so personal that it was alien to me. An example, I think, of Jack and Ennis becoming very real to her.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."