Author Topic: The New Yorker has published ANOTHER new Annie Proulx story ***SPOILERS***  (Read 17843 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Bumping for the Newsflash!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
I read this story, and I have to say, I was very let down by it.

SPOILER!!!

I would summarize it as "Hoo boy, everybody dies a horrible death."  I have to say that my preferred reading has at least somebody surviving and not being eaten by wolves after bleeding to death.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Apparently, Annie has another story, "Tits-Up in a Ditch" in the June 9 & 16 issue of the New Yorker. Is it a double issue? Not sure. That's the way the TOC is listed on the website.

My mother has received her copy already and said this story isn't quite as devastating as the last one (which I haven't read yet).

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Is it a double issue? Not sure. That's the way the TOC is listed on the website.

I would say yes. Ordinarily, a couple of times a year, they do a double issue.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Apparently, Annie has another story, "Tits-Up in a Ditch" in the June 9 & 16 issue of the New Yorker. Is it a double issue? Not sure. That's the way the TOC is listed on the website.

My mother has received her copy already and said this story isn't quite as devastating as the last one (which I haven't read yet).

Leslie

Great! It should be in our local store next week. I'll certainly go and get a copy.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
Great! It should be in our local store next week. I'll certainly go and get a copy.

Better check the store now.  I had to order the last one because the issues are on the stands a week early.  When I went to pick up the May 5th issue on May 5th, the May 12th issue was already on the stands and all the book stores had sent the May 5th issue back.

If this is a double issue, it's probably on the stands now.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
    Better check the store now.  I had to order the last one because the issues are on the stands a week early.  When I went to pick up the May 5th issue on May 5th, the May 12th issue was already on the stands and all the book stores had sent the May 5th issue back.

Good suggestion, Clyde. My subscription issue always arrives during the week before the cover date.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old

It takes almost a week for the latest issue to get here in Leuven, Belgium. I went to the store last time I wanted to buy The New Yorker (when Paul was visiting) and although the latest copy was out, they still only had the previous one. But I think I'll just go and check this weekend, just to be on the safe side.

Frankly, I'm amazed that I can get a copy here at all!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Thanks for the heads up, I will check today, will probably have to wait until the library gets their donated copy.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
Just FYI  The double issue with the new Annie Proulx story ""Tits-Up in a Ditch" (Yes, that's the real title!  :laugh:) is now on newsstands in the U.S.

(Got mine at Borders today!)

The issue dates are June 9 & 16, and like I said, if you want it and wait until the 16th, it will probably already be sent back.