Author Topic: Barack Obama vs. John McCain  (Read 58739 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Barack Obama vs. John McCain
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2008, 03:24:20 am »
yuck

I hear ya Jess. :P

I hear you. >:(
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2008, 03:46:14 am »
At this point in time with them already proclaiming Obama as the nomination and Ted Kennedy as his mentor telling him who to pick for the VP I think I am just about sick of it all. I do think it is kind of funny Obama talking about being different but then jumping under Kennedy's wing who is more Democrat Establishment than anyone could ever get. Obama's nose is stuck so far up in the air and McCain's jowls are flapping so much that I am thinking about just forgetting about the whole thing. I must say though that I have never seen a political candidate as arrogant as Obama. I have to wonder how anyone can think they are as special as he thinks he is. How can anyone think he is for anyone other than himself? I guess it is good to love yourself as much as he loves himself  :laugh:

injest

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2008, 03:57:20 am »
At this point in time with them already proclaiming Obama as the nomination and Ted Kennedy as his mentor telling him who to pick for the VP I think I am just about sick of it all. I do think it is kind of funny Obama talking about being different but then jumping under Kennedy's wing who is more Democrat Establishment than anyone could ever get. Obama's nose is stuck so far up in the air and McCain's jowls are flapping so much that I am thinking about just forgetting about the whole thing. I must say though that I have never seen a political candidate as arrogant as Obama. I have to wonder how anyone can think they are as special as he thinks he is. How can anyone think he is for anyone other than himself? I guess it is good to love yourself as much as he loves himself  :laugh:

did you see his "GQ" strut on the plane the other day? OY!!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2008, 04:28:11 am »
Back to the Kennedys and Obama. I've heard they are backing Obama because they don't want the Clintons to be another dynasty in the making. The Kennedys want to be the ONLY "family/dynasty" in the Democratic party.  They don't want any upstarts. I figured something was up as I thought Teddy got along well with Hill and Bill.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2008, 08:53:27 am »
What about an Obama/Clinton ticket Shasta? What do you think about that? Is it possible?

There were 2 people on MSNBC this morning talking about that. One was for it and said that would ensure Obama's election and position Hillary for 2016. The other said no -- that they were too opposite. She thinks Hillary should campaign for Obama, but not run with him.

I just don't see them running together. They are both (seemingly) egoists.

Mitt Romney? Really? Hmmmm....not sure about how I'd like that.

"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

injest

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2008, 10:28:18 am »
"In politics we presume that everyone who knows how to get votes knows how to administer a city or a state. When we are ill... we do not ask for the handsomest physician, or the most eloquent one. "
— Plato

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2008, 04:15:18 pm »
4 words -- Nixon/Kennedy -- televised debates.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2008, 06:13:49 pm »
Well, I'm hoping for Hillary.  :)

But I voted that I think McCain will win. That is based on experience of 4 years ago, when I, along with most Western Europeans, could hardly begin to believe the US election result. That's when I realized I don't understand the majority of Americans and their voting at all.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2008, 09:17:15 pm »
First of all I'm a Democrat.

However, Romney as a VP would have pluses and minuses.  He is very telegenic.  He's also convinced some of the most right wing pundits such as Anne Coulter that he's a true blue conservative. Many Republicans are not too thrilled with McCain.  However, Romney is a Mormon and he's NOT from a swing state. His being on the ticket might help the GOP in Michigan,  but where else. Many evangelicals, a major base for the GOP, aren't too fond of the Mormon Church.

A Democrat VP candidate would ideally be a popular politician from a swing state. Anybody fits that profile in populous Ohio or Florida?

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2008, 03:23:36 pm »
What I still cannot understand is how the Democrats think that Obama would beat McCain in November. If you look at the states Obama has won almost every one of them is a solid red state where McCain will win. Sure the Democrats might have voted for Obama, but these states have a lot more people who will vote Republican. Obama will not be able to swing those votes. There are some that Hillary would definitely stand a chance in such as Florida, Arkansas, possibly even Texas, and possibly others. There is potential there, but that potential does not hold true for Obama. Also Obama is extremely weak in some of the big traditional blue, Democrat strongholds such as New York, California, Pennsylvania and several others. These may be the states that will end up voting Republican. If that is the case Obama has a good chance of loosing in a major landslide. And that is why I have a hard time understanding why the Democrats are pushing Obama as they are. The numbers for a national election are just not there. Of course, the Democrats have a history of going with the person least likely to win for some reason.