Author Topic: Barack Obama vs. John McCain  (Read 59181 times)

Marge_Innavera

Re: Barack Obama vs. John McCain
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2008, 02:07:48 pm »
You might be better served to indicate what choices you think you don't have, then we can help you to understand.

Oh, that's just too much for my little ole female pea brain to process.  I will just sit humbly at your feet and wait for the pearls to drop.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2008, 02:09:21 pm »
I can list some, but why? If you really want to know about Implanon, NuvaRing, sponges, Depo-Provera, barrier methods, etc. -- just google "birth control options".

You were the one who said there's no reason for a woman to have an abortion.  How about enlightening us dinosaur feminists on all those wonderful alternatives? None of which fail, of course. And none of which can have serious or even fatal side effects.

Of course, there's always a coat hanger.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2008, 02:19:59 pm »
You were the one who said there's no reason for a woman to have an abortion.  How about enlightening us dinosaur feminists on all those wonderful alternatives? None of which fail, of course. And none of which can have serious or even fatal side effects.

Of course, there's always a coat hanger.

Now there you go misquoting me. I never said there is no reason -- I said there are many choices besides abortion. Don't spin my posts, please.

Why didn't you tell what choices you think women don't have? Women can get abortions. Women can get birth control. Where are the lack of choices?
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

injest

« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2008, 03:17:17 pm »
how does everyone feel about splitting this topic? we seem to be off the original subject?

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2008, 03:22:45 pm »
Now there you go misquoting me. I never said there is no reason -- I said there are many choices besides abortion. Don't spin my posts, please.

Okay, no spin.

What are all these "many choices", other than keeping the baby or having it adopted?

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2008, 03:27:29 pm »
I just consider any birth control method to be an alternative to abortion.

I'm not talking about health issues that are dealt with by abortion.

I am talking about -- a woman doesn't want a baby, a woman wants to have sex with a man,  and in an effort to not have a baby -- a woman uses one of the many birth control methods on the market. I don't see what is so hard about that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2008, 03:32:30 pm »
how does everyone feel about splitting this topic? we seem to be off the original subject?

It doesn't have to be split on my account. I will get back on topic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

injest

« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2008, 03:32:53 pm »
Marge is talking about AFTER the woman is already pregnant and Shasta is talking about BEFORE...

yes after she is pregnant there is only two choices (although a huge assortment of ways to do them these days)

and BEFORE there are TONS of ways to not get pregnant...

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2008, 04:18:49 pm »
John McCain.

I'm sure everyone knows that he refused early release from a VN POW camp even tho he was considerably underweight and had severe dysentery AND faced torture and beatings for the refusal. He says that the thought of going home to his family and sleeping in a clean bed was a wonderful thought. But the thought of going against the code and leaving comrades who'd been there longer made him stay.

He eventually was beaten so much that he had broken bones, and was tortured into making a statement that he didn't believe. That has been a hard thing for him to get over, but he has forgiven himself.

He continued to be beaten for communicating with other POW's, declining to meet with American "peace delegations", etc. Quoting from his book:

Whenever I emerged from the interrogations room after a few hours or a few days of punishment, I tried to make a show of my indifference to my circumstances. Whether I walked of my own accord or was dragged by guards back to my cell, I always shouted greetings to the prisoners whose cells I passed, smiled, and flashed a thumbs-up. In the years since I came home, I have occasionally been embarrassed to hear some of my fellow POW's commend me for those attempts at good cheer. They believed they were intended to boost their spirits. In truth, they were mostly intended to boost my own.

I think he's a gritty character. To me -- he may be a little stubborn with a bad temper. But he seems to have a good head on his shoulders and he seems to be aware of his own faults.

His mom is spunky at 95/96 ? and he thanked her for helping him with some of the stories about the family. I liked this part:

She was quite generous with her time despite her initial suspicion that I was "just trying to show off."

Haha -- seems she still tells him just what she thinks about him. He credits her with his learning resiience in persevering. She did her best to raise him right.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

injest

« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2008, 04:22:40 pm »
John McCain.

I'm sure everyone knows that he refused early release from a VN POW camp even tho he was considerably underweight and had severe dysentery AND faced torture and beatings for the refusal. He says that the thought of going home to his family and sleeping in a clean bed was a wonderful thought. But the thought of going against the code and leaving comrades who'd been there longer made him stay.

He eventually was beaten so much that he had broken bones, and was tortured into making a statement that he didn't believe. That has been a hard thing for him to get over, but he has forgiven himself.

He continued to be beaten for communicating with other POW's, declining to meet with American "peace delegations", etc. Quoting from his book:

Whenever I emerged from the interrogations room after a few hours or a few days of punishment, I tried to make a show of my indifference to my circumstances. Whether I walked of my own accord or was dragged by guards back to my cell, I always shouted greetings to the prisoners whose cells I passed, smiled, and flashed a thumbs-up. In the years since I came home, I have occasionally been embarrassed to hear some of my fellow POW's commend me for those attempts at good cheer. They believed they were intended to boost their spirits. In truth, they were mostly intended to boost my own.

I think he's a gritty character. To me -- he may be a little stubborn with a bad temper. But he seems to have a good head on his shoulders and he seems to be aware of his own faults.

His mom is spunky at 95/96 ? and he thanked her for helping him with some of the stories about the family. I liked this part:

She was quite generous with her time despite her initial suspicion that I was "just trying to show off."

Haha -- seems she still tells him just what she thinks about him. He credits her with his learning resiience in persevering. She did her best to raise him right.

I do admire his personal character, Shasta...which will make it easier for me to vote for him over Obama if it comes down to that.