Author Topic: The Dark Knight - no spoilers please  (Read 50850 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The Dark Knight
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2008, 03:28:55 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, Amanda and Fiona.

I guess the variety of TDK posters shows one of the differences between big-budget and small-budget films.  Oh, the things one can do with a large advertising budget....

In the meantime, things are hopping on eBay, too.  :)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2008, 03:38:23 pm »
The first actual bona fide in-depth review of TDK that I've seen:

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/movie/16155928/review/21477208/the_dark_knight

Offline Fran

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2008, 04:12:21 pm »
The first actual bona fide in-depth review of TDK that I've seen:

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/movie/16155928/review/21477208/the_dark_knight

Thanks for posting the link, Mikaela.

This part was great to read:

I can only speak superlatives of Ledger, who is mad-crazy-blazing brilliant as the Joker. Miles from Jack Nicholson's broadly funny take on the role in Tim Burton's 1989 Batman, Ledger takes the role to the shadows, where even what's comic is hardly a relief. No plastic mask for Ledger; his face is caked with moldy makeup that highlights the red scar of a grin, the grungy hair and the yellowing teeth of a hound fresh out of hell. To the clown prince of crime, a knife is preferable to a gun, the better to "savor the moment."

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2008, 04:19:46 pm »
I posted my favourite parts in the Heath heath Heath thread.  :)

They included the bits about joining a posthumous Oscar campaign... and the mention of "a Joker for the ages". 

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2008, 04:26:21 pm »
Hey there, Fran!

I like your Wayne Gretsky quote!

"Skate to where the puck is going, not to where it's been."

I used to have one of his in my signature too:

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

And to echo others...I think these TDK posters are surreal and bizarre and also great in a bittersweet way.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Fran

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2008, 06:15:35 pm »
And to echo others...I think these TDK posters are surreal and bizarre and also great in a bittersweet way.

I agree.  I think "bittersweet" is the perfect word here.

After reading the Rolling Stone review, I'm really looking forward to The Dark Knight.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2008, 07:01:17 pm »

From Rolling Stone:

"The Joker represents the last completed role for Ledger, who died in January at 28 before finishing work on Terry Gilliam's The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. It's typical of Ledger's total commitment to films as diverse as Brokeback Mountain and I'm Not There that he does nothing out of vanity or the need to be liked. If there's a movement to get him the first posthumous Oscar since Peter Finch won for 1976's Network, sign me up. Ledger's Joker has no gray areas — he's all rampaging id. Watch him crash a party and circle Rachel, a woman torn between Bale's Bruce (she knows he's Batman) and Eckhart's DA, another lover she has to share with his civic duty. "Hello, beautiful," says the Joker, sniffing Rachel like a feral beast. He's right when he compares himself to a dog chasing a car: The chase is all. The Joker's sadism is limitless, and the masochistic delight he takes in being punched and bloodied to a pulp would shame the Marquis de Sade. "I choose chaos," says the Joker, and those words sum up what's at stake in The Dark Knight."

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2008, 07:26:30 am »

Christian Bale talks parenting, privacy and “kindred spirit” Heath Ledger in the new issue of Parade. Here are some great excerpts:

Your co-star Heath Ledger, who plays The Joker, died tragically after the film wrapped. Do you mind talking about him?
No, listen, I want to talk about Heath. When you miss somebody, you want to speak about him. He was a unique character, a very infectious character. He was a good man, and I was glad to have spent time with him. He was somebody who I’d been seeing on a daily basis for months. It takes a long time to accept that someone’s gone, when all body and mind are telling you that this is somebody you will know for a great deal of time. He was something of a kindred spirit to myself.

It must be difficult.
Much of it has to do with my respect for his daughter, whom he loved so dearly and whom he would talk about so often. For me, that is of incredible importance. I hope in a small way that The Dark Knight can be a celebration of his work. Not like the hideous circus after he died, which I felt was an invasion of a private life. This movie is not a personal home video. This is what he did. I hope people will embrace that in the correct fashion.

http://justjared.buzznet.com/2008/06/25/christian-bale-parade/

and

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2008/06/christian_bale_media_after_hea.html

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline optom3

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2008, 09:24:22 am »

Christian Bale talks parenting, privacy and “kindred spirit” Heath Ledger in the new issue of Parade. Here are some great excerpts:

Your co-star Heath Ledger, who plays The Joker, died tragically after the film wrapped. Do you mind talking about him?
No, listen, I want to talk about Heath. When you miss somebody, you want to speak about him. He was a unique character, a very infectious character. He was a good man, and I was glad to have spent time with him. He was somebody who I’d been seeing on a daily basis for months. It takes a long time to accept that someone’s gone, when all body and mind are telling you that this is somebody you will know for a great deal of time. He was something of a kindred spirit to myself.

It must be difficult.
Much of it has to do with my respect for his daughter, whom he loved so dearly and whom he would talk about so often. For me, that is of incredible importance. I hope in a small way that The Dark Knight can be a celebration of his work. Not like the hideous circus after he died, which I felt was an invasion of a private life. This movie is not a personal home video. This is what he did. I hope people will embrace that in the correct fashion.

http://justjared.buzznet.com/2008/06/25/christian-bale-parade/

and

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2008/06/christian_bale_media_after_hea.html

I love the fact that he says when you miss someone you want to talk about them.I know he knew Heath in a much more "real " sense,but isn't that what we all here do.We miss him so we want to talk about him. Then he says it takes a long time to accept someone has gone, I will definitely agree with that as well.

It is also so lovely hearing from someone who was with him a fair amount,mention how often he talked about his daughter,not that we didn't know that anyawy. I almost feel vindicated by what he says and no longer feel so silly for missing him so much. Mr Bale has gained enormous admiration from me, for just a few , but oh so well voiced words.

Offline BelAir

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2008, 12:09:16 pm »
Tickets went on sale online at my local IMAX today.

I am going to try to go the midnight showing, provided I can find someone to go with me.

Otherwise, I'll be going the following afternoon.
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."